Home buying thread

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I bet that upper roof valley is going to make a hell of a waterfall in a rain. Sandy stuff so no gutters?

Beautiful house. I kind of like the small garage, itd be off balance with a full.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
To be frank, I expect a correction on the housing market. Not a full collapse like 2009, but a pricing correction. If you are in no great hurry I would put your money where it will make you the most money and find housing which loses you the least and wait until the hit where it will become a liquid buyer's market.

I don't know, big difference between 2016 and 2006 (housing market collapsed mostly in 2007-2008, not 2009) is that people are now buying properties at inflated prices to occupy and live in... while previously a shit ton of buyers were flippers/improvers/investors and that isn't the case today, at least in Dallas.

I don't know how much of it driven by people actually wanting to move back into town rather than living 50 miles away in new_suburb_01, but it really has a different feel to it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I bet that upper roof valley is going to make a hell of a waterfall in a rain. Sandy stuff so no gutters?

Beautiful house. I kind of like the small garage, itd be off balance with a full.
Yeah no gutters but I am going to put some in. I made them sign something saying we would reevaluate the driveway drainage in 30 days because I am not happy.

I told them before they poured or graded the drive that we would need a 6" grate and drain it out.

Picasso3

Yeah no gutters but I am going to put some in. I made them sign something saying we would reevaluate the driveway drainage in 30 days because I am not happy.

I told them before they poured or graded the drive that we would need a 6" grate and drain it out.

That swale looks line it should do the job to me. I'd rather have it sloping away from the house like it is. If you have back up problems you can add a grate at the low spot at the edge of driveway and pipe it around bank. I have trench drains at a rental and we got a call because water got in their garage because debris slowed the flow during a major rain.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That is what I told them months ago.

What'll happen is the water rolls downhill and even if it doesn't pool up and just rolls around the house and then to the back, it'll erode the soil around your foundation.

You need to catch the water before it gets near the foundation and pipe it around the house underground.

Picasso3

I definitely wouldn't dam up the swale with punctured grass killer bottles or you may see just that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ugh the network drops aren't working in any room so I pulled out the wall jacks and looked in the patch panel.

Of course one side is 568a and the other is b.

This was after they tried to leave me with a box in the wall of unterminated CAT-5 and coax and had RJ-11 in every room instead.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
If your builder is like mine, you'll have the preclose, a 30 day and 11 month walk through. We went through our house before the close and had maybe 20 or 30 items, mostly minor crap like scuff mark on bathroom floor and crap like that. Nothing like cable or network drops not working. Not a whole lot on the 30 day or 11 month. It was useless to get them to fix nail pops because they were just required to fix the pop and not paint over it.

We also had a one year warranty and only had 3 major issues. Shower in the master bath that was leakong, furnace that had a bad control board but everyone in the subdivision had that and the basement window had now caulking so was leaking after a heavy rain.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah we have the same and they are required nail pop and paint both.

We are making a list. I am going to fix the network drops tomorrow with tips and a crimped from work but I am going to push them for a patch panel. In the contract it lists a "smart panel". I will take pictures of the mess of wires I got hanging from a box that they thought fulfilled that requirement.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The garage bothers me. Being separated like that. Why did they do that?

Nice looking house though and land. SC?

I like the second garage. I think most people use it for storage while the main garage is for actual cars. If you have land you might put that shit in a detached shed, but the small garage works well too.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I like the second garage. I think most people use it for storage while the main garage is for actual cars. If you have land you might put that shit in a detached shed, but the small garage works well too.
I have 2 cars and a motorcycle and soon to be 3 cars and no motorcycle.