Home buying thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't know where you live but I can't get a repairman to come to my house for that much, never mind actually do anything like procure or install parts. At my last rental the dishwasher pump failed (3 years old) and it was $250 just for the part and more than an entire replacement unit to have it fixed. Appliances these days are borderline disposable, even at the mid/high end.

Edit: Nothing has a 10 year warranty. One year is standard.
Well all my LG inverter shit has 10 year on the expensive bit. Otherwise I buy American for cheaper parts because nothing lasts.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know where you live but I can't get a repairman to come to my house for that much, never mind actually do anything like procure or install parts. At my last rental the dishwasher pump failed (3 years old) and it was $250 just for the part and more than an entire replacement unit to have it fixed. Appliances these days are borderline disposable, even at the mid/high end.

Edit: Nothing has a 10 year warranty. One year is standard.
Why are you like this? What is your goal by trying to contradict and antagonize? Tf. Read the fine print on the 1 year warranty and then the 10 year warranty. There are different levels that come standard. Stop trying to one up the conversation. I do this for a living.
Untitled.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why are you like this? What is your goal by trying to contradict and antagonize? Tf. Read the fine print on the 1 year warranty and then the 10 year warranty. There are different levels that come standard. Stop trying to one up the conversation. I do this for a living.
View attachment 503270

Relax. We're just having an honest disagreement here, no need to inject an assumption of malice. I stand corrected on Maytag and admit I overstated. I've not had experience with Maytag and the manufacturers I've dealt with (Whirlpool, Bosch, GE, LG) don't offer those warranties. Kudos to you for putting the quality stuff it in your rental units. Not many landlords do that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Control pointed it out. Im not sure what state you're in, or if it matters, but being able to maintain habitability within the house is required like you stated, and access to fix these problems must be permitted by the tenant. You actually have to take them to court if they do not allow you access to fix the repair, as that is then causing damage to your property. As it "should" be one of the things listed on your lease that it is an offense that would warrant an eviction.

Also, within the lease - stop covering stupid shit like Dishwashers, washer and dryer, stove, refrigerator, etc. Make that the tenants responsibility to replace. You have the tenants inspect and use each appliance when they move in to show that they are in working condition and give them a predetermined amount of time to bring any issues with the appliances up to you if they are broken after the fact. I typically give a week on mine. When they move out, you inspect the appliances and if they are not in working condition - you can bill them, or take them to court for the damages. If you're footing the bill for the appliances, whats to keep them from doing stupid shit like washing their boots covered in mud in the dishwasher? Or holding the door to the refrigerator open to cool the house? Or the opposite for the stove? etc. etc.

For the case of the water heater I was talking about. I had already purchased a replacement from Home Depot for the house. After they got their insurance money they moved the broken car out of the way.

I just ignored them because they moved out in 2 months then replaced it before the new tenants moved in.

I really want to avoid having to take people to court over shit if I can. Due to expense, hassle, etc but if the situation gets extreme I will do it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
god dammit my old man neighbor is taking his realtors advice (he must be truthful and in our best interest, hes from the same church!!!) and dropped 20k

of course this matters to me when i eventually sell

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Or holding the door to the refrigerator open to cool the house

The fuck?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at that. The place I currently rent had a brand new fridge because the old one "just fell over" before the old tenants left.

• 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The fuck?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at that. The place I currently rent had a brand new fridge because the old one "just fell over" before the old tenants left.
When I was a kid I knew people that would turn the oven on and open the door to heat up the house in winter time. Usually poorer people. Most houses had fireplaces or pellet stoves but in their minds it was cheaper to use the oven than go out and get firewood or pellets.

We had a pellet stove so it never came up but it was very common.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
When I was a kid I knew people that would turn the oven on and open the door to heat up the house in winter time. Usually poorer people. Most houses had fireplaces or pellet stoves but in their minds it was cheaper to use the oven than go out and get firewood or pellets.

We had a pellet stove so it never came up but it was very common.

I know that works, but a fridge is different. The heat taken away from inside the box is radiated out the back. It does not cool the house unless it's somehow exhausting the heat outside of the house.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
This would have interesting effects IMHO if it had any chance of getting passed...

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This would have interesting effects IMHO if it had any chance of getting passed...

Most of the major funders for politicians are involved with those hedge funds. Would be surprising to everyone if it got passed, and not only passed, but passed with no loop holes. Then, when they exit the market - how are the properties going to be relinquished? Over an extended amount of time makes sense, but the houses they cant move, or cant move quick enough, - are they going to crater in price? etc. Would be a golden opportunity, if it came to pass, for a lot of properties if you're able to be "in the know."

I know that works, but a fridge is different. The heat taken away from inside the box is radiated out the back. It does not cool the house unless it's somehow exhausting the heat outside of the house.
Certain "cultures" dont even change the battery in their fire alarms. Do you think the thermodynamics of a refrigerator is going to be a field of study for them? But yes, they straight up kill the life span of kitchen appliances with this dumb shit. Never mind that the cost of electricity would be better spent using the central air over the appliances, but again - its all in who you're working with.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of the major funders for politicians are involved with those hedge funds. Would be surprising to everyone if it got passed, and not only passed, but passed with no loop holes. Then, when they exit the market - how are the properties going to be relinquished? Over an extended amount of time makes sense, but the houses they cant move, or cant move quick enough, - are they going to crater in price? etc. Would be a golden opportunity, if it came to pass, for a lot of properties if you're able to be "in the know."
This. Instead of open ownership, it’d just get obfuscated by shell companies overseas. There’s basically a free for all in the US for foreign ownership, so it’s easy to hide.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Shit just go ahead and pass the bill that all American soil and real estate is owned by the government and they get to pick and choose who lives where. It's not to far off from current reality anyways.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This. Instead of open ownership, it’d just get obfuscated by shell companies overseas. There’s basically a free for all in the US for foreign ownership, so it’s easy to hide.
Allowing foreigners to buy property at will in the USA, or Western nations in general, is one of the most insane things we do. Non-citizens in Mexico or any Central American country have tons of limitations on ownership. All of Asia too.

It's like only in the West is it a free for all.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Allowing foreigners to buy property at will in the USA, or Western nations in general, is one of the most insane things we do. Non-citizens in Mexico or any Central American country have tons of limitations on ownership. All of Asia too.

It's like only in the West is it a free for all.
Not all animals are equal, try buying any old property in Hawaii as a huwhyte man who is a citizen even.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not all animals are equal, try buying any old property in Hawaii as a huwhyte man who is a citizen even.
A seller with personal restrictions is not even the same planet as non-citizens can under no circumstances own property.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Less than 2% of total existing residential home sales went to foreign buyers (including resident aliens) from Apr 22 to Mar 23. Just over 2% of the total dollars of existing home sales went to foreigners.