Home Improvement

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well it is official, as of this past Monday I am a homeowner once again. If any of you want to travel back in time give me a call, once you step in my home you are warped back to 1977. From the Moss Rock Fireplace, to the 2x4 walls, aluminum windows, popcorn ceiling and 2 inch bland wood trim this house is the house that time forgot.

This week I am replacing the nearly 40 year old furnace and installing an AC. In two weeks I have roofers coming and a tree cutting crew to eliminate some trees that are a threat to my and my neighbor's home, also fuck raking pine needles. I am in the process of designing our new master bath, as well as our new patio area replacing an old shitty deck. The next 3+ months of my life are going to be rather hectic, wish me luck. I am sure I will be back here for some advice.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sucks man. Our ac is from 1974 and still going strong although everytime it goes on I'm afraid it's going to blow up.
So glad that we invested in AC when we bought our home. It's a 1948 rebuilt from the studs but we tossed the old AC system. Expensive as fuck, but worth it

The Master

Bronze Squire
So I knocked down half a wall between the kitchen and the dining room and built a bar. There is a 4x8 beam directly above the middle of the bar so I can stably mount just about anything I want to it. What I want to mount to it is wine glass racks, projecting towards the kitchen side. But for the life of me I can't seem to find any that aren't either under-cabinet or incredibly tiny. Ikea has one that they discontinued that is 12" wide by 6 1/2" deep, which with the big red wine goblets my wife prefers would be 2-3 glasses per line and I'd need to go find at least three of them to span the bar. Seems silly. Is this one of those things where I should just build a custom solution? It seems easy but tedious.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it probably is. It's an oddball sort of thing, kind of like a custom cabinet. On the upside, it shouldn't take all that long to make and mount it. And you can get it exactly right.

The Master

Bronze Squire
what size are you looking for
Well the area I have to work with is 59" long and it can stick out as far as I need/is practical. Nothing in the way. We have a fair number of glasses and plan on adding more. We like the presentation of having brandy snifters, port glasses, etc., and they all have stems. So a big solution would be ideal.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those things are not that hard to build. Its just basically a T shaped slot you can make out of some pieces of wood if you have access to a tablesaw. If not, you can build it probably from available stock of oak at the box stores if you plan it right.

rrr_img_101122.png

rrr_img_101123.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I'd like some outside storage, but I don't want to put anything down permanently because I am going to redo my backyard within a couple of years. As a plus it's all gravel flat and level and very dry in AZ overall.

What's the cheapest non permanent shed type deal? I don't mind a kit and I don't want it too large, just for some pool stuff storage and extra boxes of heat friendly crap from inside.

I'd consider building one from scratch but the roof part is concerning.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dude, roofing isn't rocket science. Build a small storage shed from scratch. Make it easy by eliminating ridges and such, so a single slope roof. cheaper, better, feel good about it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I'd like some outside storage, but I don't want to put anything down permanently because I am going to redo my backyard within a couple of years. As a plus it's all gravel flat and level and very dry in AZ overall.

What's the cheapest non permanent shed type deal? I don't mind a kit and I don't want it too large, just for some pool stuff storage and extra boxes of heat friendly crap from inside.

I'd consider building one from scratch but the roof part is concerning.
Metal sheds are stupid cheap for the amount of space you get

~$200:
Amazon.com : Arrow Shed BW54-A Brentwood 5-Feet by 4-Feet Steel Storage Shed : Outdoor Storage : Patio, Lawn Garden

~$300
Amazon.com : Arrow Newburgh Shed, 8 by 6 Feet : Storage Sheds : Patio, Lawn Garden

Or if you don't even need that much space, something like this is a nice little storage area, and plastic so easy to move whenever you feel like it

Amazon.com : Rubbermaid 3753 Split-Lid Deck Storage Shed 18-Cubic Feet : Outdoor Storage Containers : Patio, Lawn Garden

My dad uses one of those plastic contraptions for all of his patio furniture cushions( 2 full 6-seat sets), keeps them bone dry

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh, I didn't realize metal ones were that cheap. I'm kind of concerned what 115 degree temps do to metal sheds though. Maybe put like a cheap shade sail over it or something...

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I had a tree close to my house that was resulting in some patches of moss on the roof. I tried cutting it back but it wasn't helping so I finally had it taken out since it was a pain in the ass for several other reasons.

Now that that section of roof will be getting a lot more exposure, can I expect the moss to dry up or will I need to treat it to kill it off? Anyone have any experience with the products specifically designed for moss removal?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had a tree close to my house that was resulting in some patches of moss on the roof. I tried cutting it back but it wasn't helping so I finally had it taken out since it was a pain in the ass for several other reasons.

Now that that section of roof will be getting a lot more exposure, can I expect the moss to dry up or will I need to treat it to kill it off? Anyone have any experience with the products specifically designed for moss removal?
I have the same exact thing going on with my roof. I too am interested in hearing about what to expect.

iannis

Musty Nester
I would think that it will probably just dry up.

But you might need to check the roofing. The plywood itself, just to make sure that there wasn't any sustained damage. If it was growing up there I have to assume it got underneath the shingles. If you had moss, you probably had bugs living in the moss. You might have traded moss for a leak. Which is a good trade. It's really not much trouble to just replace 1 sheet. And shingles are fucked up. It's less hassle to run a big patch than a small one.