Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The beams were there, they are faux beams though. I just primed and painted them then did the crown around it. Honestly the crown was the hardest part of the entire job. The other shit was just no thought labor. Thanks for the complement, the wife likes it and got showered with some BJs for a few weeks, then they dried up like always.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The beams were there, they are faux beams though. I just primed and painted them then did the crown around it. Honestly the crown was the hardest part of the entire job. The other shit was just no thought labor. Thanks for the complement, the wife likes it and got showered with some BJs for a few weeks, then they dried up like always.
The crown is always the hardest part.

May your crown be always level and your BJs plentiful.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks really good. If you wanted to, you could add material to the mantle posts without removing or starting over. But, looks good as-is.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I may have a water leak somewhere or the cities meter is broken because my current water bill is $81(which includes sewer, trash) which is the same as my sister's on the same rates. Sister has a bigger house, total of 5 people living in her house, has a grass backyard and a pool.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like I may have a water leak somewhere or the cities meter is broken because my current water bill is $81(which includes sewer, trash) which is the same as my sister's on the same rates. Sister has a bigger house, total of 5 people living in her house, has a grass backyard and a pool.
Was it lower in the past? In my previous house, the local water service had only 2 ranges for cost; 4 people per house and 5+ per house. So, even though it was just myself and my Ex, we were charged in the same bracket as a 4 person house, though we didn't use much water. In fact, the "sewer charge" was something like $35/mo and our "water" bill was maybe $7-10/mo, plus a crap-ton of fees and taxes for another $20 or so (winter months when I didn't water the lawn, which could be over $100/mo just for that).

If this is a new thing in your monthly bill, I'd say they're trying to pull a fast one and hope you don't notice.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Was it lower in the past? In my previous house, the local water service had only 2 ranges for cost; 4 people per house and 5+ per house. So, even though it was just myself and my Ex, we were charged in the same bracket as a 4 person house, though we didn't use much water. In fact, the "sewer charge" was something like $35/mo and our "water" bill was maybe $7-10/mo, plus a crap-ton of fees and taxes for another $20 or so (winter months when I didn't water the lawn, which could be over $100/mo just for that).

If this is a new thing in your monthly bill, I'd say they're trying to pull a fast one and hope you don't notice.
Last months was $80, but that had a $22 "administration"/connection fee(fuck you dubmass city water was already turned on) in it. Either way I simply dont understand how my bill is the same as a house of 5 with watered backyard + pool when I live alone, dont water either of my yards, dont have a pool, do one load of dishes a week and maybe 3 loads of laundry a week etc. This is only the second water bill ive received so no history to go off of.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Look at the price per unit and double check that it was an actual read, not an estimation. They estimate sometimes, and if the people who lived there before you ran the washing machine constantly and did a load of dishes a day, that could explain it. They're estimating from previous tenants.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea that's a lot. I pay around 60-65 depending on the month and that's two people with a 25K gallon pool evaporating.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
We had a rarely used basement toilet that the flap stuck open and cycled for a few days before it was noticed. Water bill was way higher than normal. Check simple things like that.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had an irrigation leak and that ended up setting me back 280k gallons of water for a single person living in the residence. Called the water company the lady was like your water usage seems normal was like yeah no lady, sole resident. Then the request for a bill reduction has taken 3x longer then the lady said I ended up calling the director of the agency to inquire. They "lost" my paper work I turned in inperson.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
As if trimming an ocotillo with a chainsaw wasn't hazardous enough, apparently there was a WASP NEST in the base of it and I got stung right in the hand. At first I thought it was just an ocotillo spine so I was like whatever and kept cutting then I saw two wasps in front of my face and went 'uhoh' and looked down and the fucker was embedded in my glove.

Unrestricted chemical warfare has begun.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So more shed talk. Just talked to my city planning about sheds and they told me that anything above 40 sq feet requires a permit and rat wall. The rat wall needs to be at least 4 thick" and 24" down and 4" above ground. I do not need a cement slab, it can be a wood floor but the rat wall is a must. So is this a thing I can do myself? Or would it be better if I just hire this out? If I did hire this out I would probably just do a slab as well. Anyone know of a rough price for this 8x10?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
May or may not be available in your area, but here is the Costco deal I referenced earlier.YardLine Wood Sheds at Costco | YardLine Special Events

8x10 through that deal is $1599 installed, includes:
Roofing felt and 25-year shingles
Complete wood floor with protective, aluminum threshold - oriented strand board (OSB) floor decking with treated 2?4 joists and 4?4 treated runners
Strong 2?3 wood framing withstands heavy wind and snow loads
Two transom door windows
Two 2' deep storage lofts
Two 8'W x 12"D shelves
Locking T-handle
Decorative door hinges
Wall vents
The price doesn't include the cost of pulling the permit or the extra of the rat wall. Also doesn't include the cost of whatever slab you want it built on, but the materials are warrantied for up to 15 years and the runners could go straight on grass if you really wanted to.

There is a rough idea anyways for an installed 8x10.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The shed itself im going to build from scratch. I have all the tools, framing nailer, etc. I figured it would be a good summer project to tackle with my two sons. Get them out of the house and the xbones and ps4s. Im just wondering on the price of the rat wall and slab. It seems so fucking permanent that they make you do up a rat wall. But I guess many cities here in MI require this. I even asked if you needed this for one of them plastic sheds and he told me, yep. Anything thats more than 40sqft.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Oh I see, you're asking for the price of the slab/wall, not the shed. For the slab, I can tell you that my 16x16 gravel pad cost me about $250 when all was said and done. That includes ten 4"x6"x8' landscaping timbers and ~6 yards of gravel.

Best insight I can offer on that :/ Can always hit up youtube to see if there are any instructionals on making a slab/rat wall to gauge the time/skill level/materials needed.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Carried in about 550 tons of lumber to repair a 16x20 deck at the rental. Treated 2x8x16s are fuckin brutal when they get wet.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Carried in about 550 tons of lumber to repair a 16x20 deck at the rental. Treated 2x8x16s are fuckin brutal when they get wet.
According to your figures that makes the deck approximately 3,437.5 pounds per square foot. As the densest naturally occurring element (Osmium) clocks in at 1,400 pounds per cubic foot, I have determined that you,sir, are exaggerating. One might say engaged in, dare I say, hyperbole.