Home Improvement

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Some women like small areas. Friend of mine has a huge master bedroom, but sleeps in the smallest room of the house.

There’s a certain satisfaction of having a space where everything fits perfectly into place with no excess. While I certainly loved my giant bedroom as a kid in my first house (was the parent’s old master before the additions were put on), there was one apartment I lived for a bit that was…perfect. Small room, but perfect sized corner for my bed, my computer desk fit snuggly in the window nook and there was just enough space to fit my TV/console stand against the wall next to me with just enough room to walk around without feeling cramped. Any bigger and that room wouldn’t have felt nearly as pleasing as it did.

I do sometimes enjoy watching those tiny house videos. I’d never live in one, but I do love seeing efficient use of space.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I do sometimes enjoy watching those tiny house videos. I’d never live in one, but I do love seeing efficient use of space.

I like the tiny houses, too, even the concept of them. My question is, what if someone goes and blows up the bathroom like crazy? That whole house is going to smell like shit every time.

The other thing about tiny houses is that I entertain waaaay too much. And they're just not build for that.

On the other hand, I have rented a tiny house with my wife for a vacation in the mountains, and it was amazing. So much nicer than a motel. We had our own building in a beautiful setting. No elevator dings, no neighbours, our own kitchen, it was amazing.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My question is, what if someone goes and blows up the bathroom like crazy? That whole house is going to smell like shit every time.
High CFM bathroom fan. Mine will make me about 119lbs lighter if I walk under it when it is running.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah split units are awesome, have one in the wifes shack. Well we call it the shack but it is an 8x10 tiny house minus plumbing.
View attachment 483221
I believe the official term for what you have there is a "She Shed"...

dude get one of these if it's too difficult to get there?
8ffb252f73276c434db4efbe432b44ea.png

RedRock Threaded CO2 Cartridge Gallo Drain Gun Blaster Cleaner for A/C Condensate Lines with Drain Hose - Air Conditioner Cleaner Blaster Opener Kit

i got one when i moved in and the ac is the attic so theres no hose, but this flushed it all out, years of nastiness
I took the opposite approach. I cobbled together an adapter for my shop vac. Now twice a year I just vacuum out anything, then pour half a cup of bleach down the condensate line for good measure and call it a day.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
As a fellow Texan, I can't be the only one dieing in this heat. My AC is close to 20 years old and I rather not have to spend more on it. At least once a summer, I get to spend something in it. Like replace the outside fan motor or capacitor. I got a hard start one a few years ago.

Has anyone used a window unit to share the load? My home is a small 2 story with 1 AC unit. My master bedroom is in direct sun light all day. The windows I could use will be unshaded for most of the day. Window units seem to sun a few hundred. Do those help much and would it run well despite being in direct sun?
I did this in my last house in S FL. The sun room ate full sun almost all day and the central AC just couldn't keep up. Installed a window ac with a thermostat in it that only ran during the day. Cut my overall electric bill and the rest of the house felt cooler. Those wall units I believe pound for pound are the best BTU ratio.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I did this in my last house in S FL. The sun room ate full sun almost all day and the central AC just couldn't keep up. Installed a window ac with a thermostat in it that only ran during the day. Cut my overall electric bill and the rest of the house felt cooler. Those wall units I believe pound for pound are the best BTU ratio.
was the sun room walled off? 4 walls?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I gambled and lost. Had gutters installed 18 months ago. Decided against gutter guards figured trees were far enough away maybe just get them cleaned every 3 years or so.

Found maple trees growing in the gutters. Scheduled them to come back and install them.

Womp womp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Allow me to further your case...

My house also had a "sunroom" on the south side. 14'x30' All glass walls and a semi transparent roof on it. It was built by the previous owners to be a greenhouse. Essentially un-climate controllable. I did as you said and put in a window unit. It could keep that room at 85-90 when it was 110 outside, but that was the best it could do against single pane glass from the 80's. A storm on Valentine's day eve with some 90 MPH straight line winds damaged it bad enough that insurance decided it was a wipe and rebuild situation. They paid out a little. I doubled up that with some of my own money to rebuild it the way Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I wanted it. Now it has a real insulated roof, real walls, and still a ton of windows but all the window and sliding glass doors are energystar rated and built for the job. Now that little 12k BTU unit can keep that whole room at 70 while the outside temps in Texas right now are in the 105-109 range.

It's going to be our sunroom/patioroom/home gym. Installing the floor in it today, and I have the worlds least useful assistant...

1690161706525.png

You can see that little window unit that could right there in the corner chugging away.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Allow me to further your case...

My house also had a "sunroom" on the south side. 14'x30' All glass walls and a semi transparent roof on it. It was built by the previous owners to be a greenhouse. Essentially un-climate controllable. I did as you said and put in a window unit. It could keep that room at 85-90 when it was 110 outside, but that was the best it could do against single pane glass from the 80's. A storm on Valentine's day eve with some 90 MPH straight line winds damaged it bad enough that insurance decided it was a wipe and rebuild situation. They paid out a little. I doubled up that with some of my own money to rebuild it the way Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I wanted it. Now it has a real insulated roof, real walls, and still a ton of windows but all the window and sliding glass doors are energystar rated and built for the job. Now that little 12k BTU unit can keep that whole room at 70 while the outside temps in Texas right now are in the 105-109 range.

It's going to be our sunroom/patioroom/home gym. Installing the floor in it today, and I have the worlds least useful assistant...

View attachment 483796

You can see that little window unit that could right there in the corner chugging away.

What kind of flooring is that? It looks pretty great!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
What kind of flooring is that? It looks pretty great!
I have kinda fallen in love with this stuff. It's a drop down click wood tile. Just snaps into place. Floating floor. Wood strips are on a plastic under-panel with stand offs. It's nice because water will run through it and out under it rather than collecting on top. I originally got this stuff for my front patio since when it rains (or when I run the sprinklers) water would pool on the concrete in a couple places. I got tired of busting my ass on slick concrete so I dropped it on there. Liked it so much I decided to do the new room in it, since the phase 2 goal for this room will be a 4 person jacuzzi in one corner and it would be good for if splashes happen in or around there. (yes, I had them pre-built in a very slight tilt to the concrete floor to angle towards a drain).

You can get it on Amazon, for something a little under $4/sq ft.

I did around 250-300 sq ft out of the 450 today (didn't do the edge tiles where I'll need to cut/trim tiles yet) and it took me around 5 hours puttering through it at my 50 something year old speed, with what you see was a top not assistant. At one point while I was taking a breather Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus even dropped in around 10-20 sq ft worth, it was that easy.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I have kinda fallen in love with this stuff. It's a drop down click wood tile. Just snaps into place. Floating floor. Wood strips are on a plastic under-panel with stand offs. It's nice because water will run through it and out under it rather than collecting on top. I originally got this stuff for my front patio since when it rains (or when I run the sprinklers) water would pool on the concrete in a couple places. I got tired of busting my ass on slick concrete so I dropped it on there. Liked it so much I decided to do the new room in it, since the phase 2 goal for this room will be a 4 person jacuzzi in one corner and it would be good for if splashes happen in or around there. (yes, I had them pre-built in a very slight tilt to the concrete floor to angle towards a drain).

You can get it on Amazon, for something a little under $4/sq ft.

I did around 250-300 sq ft out of the 450 today (didn't do the edge tiles where I'll need to cut/trim tiles yet) and it took me around 5 hours puttering through it at my 50 something year old speed, with what you see was a top not assistant. At one point while I was taking a breather Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus even dropped in around 10-20 sq ft worth, it was that easy.

That stuff is genius. It's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I'm hoping to put a hot tub on a slab outside our family room. I didn't want just plain cement, but I wasn't sure what I was going to put around it. This looks perfect. Can it be glued into place? And how are you cutting it when you need to? You may have saved me a bunch of research. :)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That stuff is genius. It's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I'm hoping to put a hot tub on a slab outside our family room. I didn't want just plain cement, but I wasn't sure what I was going to put around it. This looks perfect. Can it be glued into place? And how are you cutting it when you need to? You may have saved me a bunch of research. :)
It can be glued down. In fact on my front patio right at the edge there were a couple taht wiggled a little when people would step onto the patio, so I used some pretty standard construction adhesive (in a caulk gun compatible tube) , put a few dollops on some of the bottom stand offs and dropped it back in.
For cutting it I have a table saw, and a jig saw. Both work fine as it's a pretty run of the mill wood, and the plastic cuts easily. Doing the front porch (around 200 sq ft), including cutting and trimming time took me around 5 hours.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I actually really like the look of that stuff too. For another option, you could look into a garage floor tile solution like racedeck or swisstrax.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Anyone here done skimcoats on drywall? Removing wallpaper in a room and going to need to do a bit of repair since it's peeling some old paint off in areas.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Saw some black sticking out from ceiling vent, been here for years and have never checked this ceiling vent. Fuck me.

I checked all the others and no signs of mold, this one is closest to the outside wall and my guess is humidity plus shit caulk job caused this. I might fuck with it myself but probably hire someone because ceiling and I know nothing about drywall.
D8A202C1-C288-4F99-8A57-762E61FA883F.jpeg
7343D07B-A75E-4A63-9C5B-71BCEA0B98D1.jpeg
17D8A73A-18F8-4FE3-BD5B-386B78032E9D.jpeg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone here done skimcoats on drywall? Removing wallpaper in a room and going to need to do a bit of repair since it's peeling some old paint off in areas.
Peeling some old paint off - as in the paper barrier on the sheetrock has completely came off? Or it just looks bad from where all the glue was removed (which was probably the biggest pain in the ass?) Im sure there is someone here that knows better than I do, but I would start with killz to make sure the glue residue isnt funking anything up, then sand it with a wall sander, preferably one with a vacuum attachment, then skim coat it as you're saying, sand it again with that same tool (which you can rent one if you're really interested) and then paint it up nice and pretty. Again, Im not sheetrock guy - just enjoy getting my hands dirty on my own terms. :trump:

Saw some black sticking out from ceiling vent, been here for years and have never checked this ceiling vent. Fuck me.

I checked all the others and no signs of mold, this one is closest to the outside wall and my guess is humidity plus shit caulk job caused this. I might fuck with it myself but probably hire someone because ceiling and I know nothing about drywall.
View attachment 483857View attachment 483858View attachment 483859

My first inclination would be to find out why there is so much moisture in the HVAC. Cleaning it up is one thing, but your evaporator should be sapping out that kind of moisture, not spreading it to the house. This time of year with the rain we've had in VA - my systems are draining an obnoxious amount.

As for the black mold - it would be worth it to test and see if thats really what it is, Im sure. Ive caught it early enough in older properties that it never developed into anything more than a quick cleaning.

But again, Im not an HVAC or mold person.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Peeling some old paint off - as in the paper barrier on the sheetrock has completely came off? Or it just looks bad from where all the glue was removed (which was probably the biggest pain in the ass?) Im sure there is someone here that knows better than I do, but I would start with killz to make sure the glue residue isnt funking anything up, then sand it with a wall sander, preferably one with a vacuum attachment, then skim coat it as you're saying, sand it again with that same tool (which you can rent one if you're really interested) and then paint it up nice and pretty. Again, Im not sheetrock guy - just enjoy getting my hands dirty on my own terms. :trump:

My first inclination would be to find out why there is so much moisture in the HVAC. Cleaning it up is one thing, but your evaporator should be sapping out that kind of moisture, not spreading it to the house. This time of year with the rain we've had in VA - my systems are draining an obnoxious amount.

As for the black mold - it would be worth it to test and see if thats really what it is, Im sure. Ive caught it early enough in older properties that it never developed into anything more than a quick cleaning.

But again, Im not an HVAC or mold person.
Yea mostly strips of the paint since they didn't use primer underneath.