Home Improvement

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw some black sticking out from ceiling vent, been here for years and have never checked this ceiling vent. Fuck me.

I checked all the others and no signs of mold, this one is closest to the outside wall and my guess is humidity plus shit caulk job caused this. I might fuck with it myself but probably hire someone because ceiling and I know nothing about drywall.
View attachment 483857View attachment 483858View attachment 483859
Side note I'd also say to be on the safe side get a test kit and swab that area to make sure it's "just mold" and not "You're about to have respiratory issues and need a hazmat suit" mold.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
In case anyone is interested, home depot is blowing out a good number of rototillers (lesser brands, not Toro or Troy Bilt)

I bought the Legend Force for 225 shipped with an extra 2 year warranty. Figured that's almost approaching the price of a rental. Tempted to cancel my order for one they just put out with a Briggs engine or a Champion model that probably has better spare parts support.

Edit: fixed link

Haus

<Silver Donator>
NOTE ABOUT THAT CLICK DOWN WOOD TILE : (for lurkingdirk lurkingdirk ) It is fir, that's the type of wood. It's not an incredibly hard wood. So if you have something really heavy (like a loaded fridge) with hard plastic rollers on the bottom, it will be capable of damaging it if you roll it across this tile. As you might guess, I learned that the hard way today. But I then pulled up the damaged tiles and redeployed them so that they would be under the fridge and freezer as to be out of sight. If I had known this in advance I wouldn't have worked to put down tile and put the fridge/freezer on top of it. I would have just closely fit the tiles around the big appliances and had them on the concrete floor. Which also means when we buy the drop in Jacuzzi we want we will be pulling up the wood tile under there the Jacuzzi will go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yea mostly strips of the paint since they didn't use primer underneath.

skim coating the drywall is the way to go, unless you want to tear it down and install new drywall. Skim coating is all about patience. Most people use too much mud at once. Mix it with plenty of water, and install many, many thin coats. More thin coats scraped over the surface means less sanding later. I had this in my dining room - there was that weird wallpaper on it that seems to be made of grass or bamboo or something. Came up terrible. I spent a week doing a thin skim coat at least once a day over the whole room. Ended up sanding for about 30 minutes total at the end, perfectly smooth walls now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
skim coating the drywall is the way to go, unless you want to tear it down and install new drywall. Skim coating is all about patience. Most people use too much mud at once. Mix it with plenty of water, and install many, many thin coats. More thin coats scraped over the surface means less sanding later. I had this in my dining room - there was that weird wallpaper on it that seems to be made of grass or bamboo or something. Came up terrible. I spent a week doing a thin skim coat at least once a day over the whole room. Ended up sanding for about 30 minutes total at the end, perfectly smooth walls now.

I'm going to try it. Thanks for the advice. Will need to retape a few corners as well but I'm kinda less concerned about that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok so I'm still plugging away at removing wallpaper in my spare living room, and there's a few small cracks being exposed on the inside corners, mostly like right at the bottom by the baseboard and some along the ceiling. Should I retape literally everything or can I get away with packing in some mud for hairline stuff?

Am I ok taping a bit over existing if I need to or should I try digging out the old tape? I feel like since it's corners anyway I can feather in a some repairs and not worry about it that much. Any advice?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Ok so I'm still plugging away at removing wallpaper in my spare living room, and there's a few small cracks being exposed on the inside corners, mostly like right at the bottom by the baseboard and some along the ceiling. Should I retape literally everything or can I get away with packing in some mud for hairline stuff?

Am I ok taping a bit over existing if I need to or should I try digging out the old tape? I feel like since it's corners anyway I can feather in a some repairs and not worry about it that much. Any advice?
I've taken both approaches. If it's just smaller hairline stuff I'd try to just use mud. If I find myself going 4-6 inches along a corner, then I'll often strip it down and retape. One thing for true tiny hairline cracks, I've used paintable elastomeric caulking for a tiny crack, especially when I thought it was house settling and might shift more.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've taken both approaches. If it's just smaller hairline stuff I'd try to just use mud. If I find myself going 4-6 inches along a corner, then I'll often strip it down and retape. One thing for true tiny hairline cracks, I've used paintable elastomeric caulking for a tiny crack, especially when I thought it was house settling and might shift more.
Oh yeah good call on the caulking I should really use that in a few areas where the tape is in tact and it was just damage.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah good call on the caulking I should really use that in a few areas where the tape is in tact and it was just damage.
On my mom's house, which was built in the 50's and is on a pier and beam in Texas (i.e. a recpie for shifting houses) that caulking trick has kinda been a Godsend. I noticed when I had my house painted recently all caulking they did was now with modern silicone composite paintable caulking for the same reason.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok what does everyone think about interior house color selection complexity. On the scale of one color to clown fiesta where every room is unique, I feel like I'm closer to the one color side of the scale, especially where rooms connect or blend together in open floor spaces.

My foyer opens to a den, which then has a wide opening into the kitchen and attached dining space. While it's not literally open concept because there's a wall separating the den from the dining area, to me it seems like this whole space should really be one color, whereas right now it's three.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Ok what does everyone think about interior house color selection complexity. On the scale of one color to clown fiesta where every room is unique, I feel like I'm closer to the one color side of the scale, especially where rooms connect or blend together in open floor spaces.

My foyer opens to a den, which then has a wide opening into the kitchen and attached dining space. While it's not literally open concept because there's a wall separating the den from the dining area, to me it seems like this whole space should really be one color, whereas right now it's three.

So I think it's wise to have common colours on the same floor, especially if the rooms open onto each other. But I do like an accent wall - something that is bold and has some contrast to the colour you have in the rest of the walls. I also like messing with the accent wall - I have a light beige on most of my main floor, but the one wall I have about 6 shades of red I painted with squares that overlap and are random. Everyone seems to love it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I think it's wise to have common colours on the same floor, especially if the rooms open onto each other. But I do like an accent wall - something that is bold and has some contrast to the colour you have in the rest of the walls. I also like messing with the accent wall - I have a light beige on most of my main floor, but the one wall I have about 6 shades of red I painted with squares that overlap and are random. Everyone seems to love it.
Yeah the den has oak beams and paneling with legit forged nails up to the chair rail so I feel that is already different. I'm ok with that being the rustic room since it's got the a fireplace. Kitchen has only tiny painted walls under and above the uppers so that only two rooms that have full walls at all are foyer and dining room.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For large open / connecting areas I’m a one color person. And currently that is a neutral gray or greige. It rooms about two weeks for me to go through all the possible grays that exist when repainting the downstairs of my last house. Never knew how much of a process that was.

This house we (my wife) wanted some color so the pantry room is a purple that actually isn’t too annoying actually. You’d never see it unless intentionally walking back to it. She also wanted the bathrooms a different color so she painted them a sea foam or whatever. Then she wanted our sons room something playful and the nursery is a baby color… those are all upstairs though and I gave up arguing about it. It has grown on me now that I’m used to it and she let me edit her original choices.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
For large open / connecting areas I’m a one color person. And currently that is a neutral gray or greige. It rooms about two weeks for me to go through all the possible grays that exist when repainting the downstairs of my last house. Never knew how much of a process that was.

This house we (my wife) wanted some color so the pantry room is a purple that actually isn’t too annoying actually. You’d never see it unless intentionally walking back to it. She also wanted the bathrooms a different color so she painted them a sea foam or whatever. Then she wanted our sons room something playful and the nursery is a baby color… those are all upstairs though and I gave up arguing about it. It has grown on me now that I’m used to it and she let me edit her original choices.

Yea, I feel this is right. Further, I would say something like a space that has four walls and doors can be a different color (bedroom), but it shouldn't unless it's important enough to warrant cohesive decor. So bedroom that is used, master bath = ok; spare bedroom half bath, closet= house color.

I am also a proponent of adding color with decor, rugs, etc. I like lurkingdirks feature wall (even if I think this concept got too trendy), perhaps better to call it a focus wall and just leave it that sometimes it's ok to use the feature wall (e.g., behind the TV, or bed as ersatz headboard).

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our entire first floor is the same color except for an accent wall that’s like a forest green and our powder room that’s a purple. And agree with Palum the rest of our color comes from furniture or rugs. Our couch in the family room is a deep blue and we have some art that complements it and provides more color.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'm currently in a house where we've done different colors in different rooms. We're about to do an interior refresh and it will probably standardize down some. Our formal living room (which I use as an office, and is on the north face of the house so gets little natural sunlight) is currently yellow for walls and that is definitely gonna change. We have a game room that for some ungodly reason 15 years ago I painted a dark green to get a "manly game room/study" vibe with coordinating dark woods for shelving. That's gonna change....
Our master bedroom is a pale peach with white celing, that might stay the same. Kitchen is a very pale yellow, might also stay.
The rest of the house is probably going a light gray with white trim where needed.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The rest of the house is probably going a light gray with white trim where needed.

House I just bought is done this way. It's a little generic, but honestly quite pleasant all around and matches anything you put anywhere.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I'm currently in a house where we've done different colors in different rooms. We're about to do an interior refresh and it will probably standardize down some. Our formal living room (which I use as an office, and is on the north face of the house so gets little natural sunlight) is currently yellow for walls and that is definitely gonna change. We have a game room that for some ungodly reason 15 years ago I painted a dark green to get a "manly game room/study" vibe with coordinating dark woods for shelving. That's gonna change....
Our master bedroom is a pale peach with white celing, that might stay the same. Kitchen is a very pale yellow, might also stay.

I like colour, but the older I get the more I like simplicity. Easy to patch/fix a wall and paint it without having to do the whole wall if you have the same colour in multiple rooms.

• 1Like