Home Improvement

Burns

Your confusion echoes mine

There's 4 feet holes for piling under there somewhere. I mean that top part is like the base of the deck and that's what they did. It makes no sense!!!!!
I'm no professional deck builder but what I see is at least 3 holes and 2 6x6s to go in those holes. That should be sufficient for that sized deck, no?

Red = holes
Yellow = 6x6
1000006547.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Yea, but sinking a 6x6 straight into the dirt is a recipe for disaster.
I would assume they would be using concreate too; the holes look oversized just enough to get a layer of concrete around it and they can certainly pour some in the bottom first for the wood to sit on. Of course, it is a bit difficult to tell from this angle and distance.

I'm thinking the contractor had scheduling issues between a deck building crew and a hole digging crew. Probably due to his family emergency giving him the choice of fucking up 1 person's build schedule (Noodle) instead of fucking up every schedule in his pipeline.

Noodleface Noodleface The decking frame looks mobile, as in, they can move it out of the way to set up the foundation. If they have a 4 person crew doing the deck, then the frame shouldn't be tooooo hard to move. (quickedit): Hell, I would hope they built the frame in a way where they can put the posts in without moving it. Then they won't even need to adjust it but a couple inches to a couple foot, to get it where they want on the foundation posts.

Last edited:

Burns

On third thought, it may be easier to build smaller decks like that using the adjustable temporary legs to rely less on getting ground measurements perfect. That way they get everything on the frame square, make sure it's level, and then you can just drop a 6x6 length of wood, from where you know they will attach to the deck, right to the ground.

*Boom* You know where to dig and didn't need to try to get all the posts perfectly measured and lined up first. (quickedit): Hell, after pouring a base of concreate in the bottom of the hole, you could attach the posts to the deck and it would keep them standing tall and straight while the rest of the concrete sets.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
On third thought, it may be easier to build smaller decks like that using the adjustable temporary legs to rely less on getting ground measurements perfect. That way they get everything on the frame square, make sure it's level, and then you can just drop a 6x6 length of wood, from where you know they will attach to the deck, right to the ground.

*Boom* You know where to dig and didn't need to try to get all the posts perfectly measured and lined up first. (quickedit): Hell, after pouring a base of concreate in the bottom of the hole, you could attach the posts to the deck and it would keep them standing tall and straight while the rest of the concrete sets.

I've seen people do that for the outside boards, never hang a whole deck though with joists and all. Like this

Not saying it wouldn't work but seems like a huge hassle if you have to move anything after, especially with no concrete footings or anything already in place.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Isn't the interest applied right at the beginning though? Meaning whatever they project I'll pay over 10 years is what I owe no matter what, even if I pay it off early?
No. Your TIL form even tells you you only pay like 3 grand in interest if you pay it off in 5 years.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Huh? I'd be paying 3k in closing cost right off the bat. I don't see anything saying I'd only be paying 3k in interest if I pay off in 5 years.

Oh i misread that. Holy shit no way for 3k closing costs. Is your credit bad and you're going through a shitty lender or something?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Hi Frens. I am retarded with money, but this seems particularly retarded.

I need to put a new roof on my house. I knew that when I bought it. Because of the style of house, it's kind of expensive. I got 5 quotes, and the one I plan to go with is $32,000. I could pay out of pocket for it, but I'd prefer to keep that money on hand and accessible so I applied for a loan for ~$25k.

Does this seem absolutely fucking insane? I'd plan to pay it off in <10 years, but if it went the full 20 I'd end up paying back 180%?

I don't really know what's normal here so I'm asking

View attachment 552897

View attachment 552896
I know you said you got 5 estimates and I don’t know the size of your roof, but $32k sounds a bit high. I called for estimates 4 years ago on my house and the first one was $62k which he lowered to $32k when I told him I didn’t need a ridge vent. The next estimate was around $26k and we settled for the guy who said he’d do it for $18k and apologized for the high price but said it was because of the steep pitch and all the stupid little architectural returns. And he did a really good job. In fact, he was the only one who actually got up on the roof to look at it. The roof is 40 square (4000 sqft) and really steep.

With the drama you’re going through and you’re admitted lack of financial knowledge, you might be getting taken advantage of by salesmen who can read you like a book. If you don’t have any major leaks, why don’t you wait a while until your personal life settles down. Small leaks can be repaired as necessary.

Burns

Hi Frens. I am retarded with money, but this seems particularly retarded.

I need to put a new roof on my house. I knew that when I bought it. Because of the style of house, it's kind of expensive. I got 5 quotes, and the one I plan to go with is $32,000. I could pay out of pocket for it, but I'd prefer to keep that money on hand and accessible so I applied for a loan for ~$25k.

Does this seem absolutely fucking insane? I'd plan to pay it off in <10 years, but if it went the full 20 I'd end up paying back 180%?

I don't really know what's normal here so I'm asking

View attachment 552897

View attachment 552896
This is the best loan calc I could find where you could add extra money and it will show you the all-in costs: https://www.calculator.net/mortgage-calculator.html? (etc.)(It should have that loan already set up, minus the loan fees (origination fees)).

Here is a tutorial:
2024-10-16 16.56.24 www.calculator.net 4fd9f4430581.png

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I know you said you got 5 estimates and I don’t know the size of your roof, but $32k sounds a bit high. I called for estimates 4 years ago on my house and the first one was $62k which he lowered to $32k when I told him I didn’t need a ridge vent. The next estimate was around $26k and we settled for the guy who said he’d do it for $18k and apologized for the high price but said it was because of the steep pitch and all the stupid little architectural returns. And he did a really good job. In fact, he was the only one who actually got up on the roof to look at it. The roof is 40 square (4000 sqft) and really steep.

With the drama you’re going through and you’re admitted lack of financial knowledge, you might be getting taken advantage of by salesmen who can read you like a book. If you don’t have any major leaks, why don’t you wait a while until your personal life settles down. Small leaks can be repaired as necessary.
It's a flat roof with some weird roll on material. Highest quote was 51k, lowest was 27k to redo the roll on shit.

Had a couple come in at 12k-25k to just re coat it

• 1WTF

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We do multi-million dollar loans for client’s insurance and those are $12,500 - $15,000 origination. $3,000 for what you’re getting is insane!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users