Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hauling it to dump at 16 bucks a ton.

Its an adventure. 8 ft wall on one side, my house on the other, storm sewer somewhere underneath. Just gotta start smashing and it'll come together.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I really want to do that but

A) I'm terrified about what I'll find underneath my walkway or the pool decking.
B) Seems difficult to dispose of concrete rubble legally.
C) I'd have to replace it.

C'est la vie.
The disposal is definitely the hard part. Concrete gets heavy, fast. I had a little concrete ramp that I demolished a while back, and it was only about 3'x4' and about 10 inches thick on average, and that was probably over 1000lbs of concrete. I was afraid to put it all in my small-ish SUV, so had to make two trips. We have a local dump that will take it, but they charge like $15 per car/SUV load (pickups and large trucks more) so I decided to haul it to work and toss it in our dumpster. Picking up each piece of concrete, 1000lbs worth and tossing it up into a dumpster was a pretty decent workout, my arms were sore the next day for sure.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Craigslist here always has ads looking for free clean fill. Of course all the houses here now have to built up a few feet and dirt is expensive in bulk. Lots of times you'll see a sign "Taking fill if clean" meaning no dumping just trash.

iannis

Musty Nester
Clean fill has always cost money. Well, I dunno always. Ever since I learned what clean fill was, it's had a pricetag on it. I'm surprised that there are people/companies who are willing to give it away.

Now if you just want someone to come dump a bunch of branches, stumps, clay, and manure down in a ravine... you can usually find that for free! Sometimes they'll even pay you to do it. A farmer nearby filled a lot of crapland that way. He had to get a permit, but he sort of made a little semi-official landfill. It'll probably even be useable in another 10 years or so.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
A lot of contruction just dump it where people put up signs for clean fill, mostly busted up concrete. If it's close to the job site it beats having to pay to dump it which the landfill here charges by the pound and it's 30 minutes out of town.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Soldering is really easy just need to learn a few key techniques like tinning the tip and applying heat to surfaces and not solder.

Can I fertilize and seed my lawn at the same time? Is that the preferred method?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes but just make sure you don't have weed stop or anything in the fertilizer, it'll stop the seeds from growing like it would weeds.

Also I assume when you say 'at the same time' you really mean 'no delay between' not just mixing them 1:1 in a spreader.

iannis

Musty Nester
Would mixing them 1:1 in a spreader work?

Never tried it. Seems like it might work, actually.

Or it might roast the seeds.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe not *quite* the right thread, but I guess folks who DIY their homes might know the answer to this. Anyone know any good step-by-step guides to polishing leather shoes? I've never really bothered much with it myself, just rubbed a bit of that black stuff in tins on them once in a while and buff for half a minute. But having watched Francis Underwood shine his shoes and then seeing the sad fucking state mine are in I thought it was about time I learned the ins and outs of making my shoes look respectable. So a beginners guide would come in handy, with what to do, what not to do, and stuff like that. Anyone know?
You can have very shiny shoes using just the tin can stuff. That's what people in the military use and we sure as shit don't get issued $800 shoes yet our dress uniform shoes and boots are as polished as can be.

Start by giving it a few good coats using only a brush. Ideally you have two brushes, one to tab into the polish and spread roughly over the shoe, then a second to brush the shoe. Do that several times over the course of a few days to give time to the polish to cure. By that point you will have a pretty respectable shine and most would keep it at that, but if you want the super mirror finish move to the next step.

Once you have a good base layer, you use a polishing cloth. Important rule here, never have a dry cloth touch the shoe, the fabric would cause tiny scratches on the polish and take off the mirror shine. Wrap the cloth tightly around two fingers (you want one tight layer of cloth on the front of your two fingers), dab the tip of those fingers in water then get some polish on the tip of those same fingers (just a tiny bit), gently spread on an area of the shoe and then polish, light pressure, not too much water, you don't want to leave streaks and you want to keep it just moist enough to act as a lubricant. While it is calling spit shining, you do not want to actually use spit, the salt eventually would wreck you shine. Just put some water in the cover of the polish can and dab for some water whenever you get some extra polish.

Also pro tip: put a copper penny in your polish. What people call polish drying is actually the wax oxidizing. A copper penny in the polish acts as a sacrificial anode, the polish will stay fresh and the copper will oxidize. A simple penny can keep a can of polish looking fresh for years.

That is the method if you want a durable finish. Liquid polishes and the like will get you a quick and easy shine, but it goes to shit a lot quicker. Another very different method is to paint your shoe with a high gloss paint. I'm won't go over that one, but I'll just say, if you go that route, the oven is a great dust and particle free environment to store your shoes in between coats; just make sure to put a sign on the oven dial.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Soldering is really easy just need to learn a few key techniques like tinning the tip and applying heat to surfaces and not solder.

Can I fertilize and seed my lawn at the same time? Is that the preferred method?
Lowes has 50% off on Scott's EZ Seed product line right now. It gets mixed reviews but I'll go get some and see.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've always had better luck seeding in the Fall, rather than the spring. Seems like everytime I seed in the Spring, the grass gets going pretty well through May & early June, then late June & July starts coming with the 100 degree days and just scorches the new grass to death, no matter how much I water. I can never keep new grass alive through July/August around here. And I can't really start it any earlier than May, because we'll still have freezing temps at night during a lot of April.

If I seed in mid september, that still give the grass plenty of warm weather to get going through Sept/Oct and then it cools off rather than getting hotter and scorching it all to death.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
The package says to seed spring or fall for probably that reason. I'm new to where I live now so I'm going to try now, and if the summer kills off the seedlings, I'll try again in the fall. This is all new to me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I've had the same experience with planting. Planted sod in early Spring and that shit got obliterated by the summer heat. Planted grass from seed in the fall and its roots are strong as fuck.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I'm going to get this one when it goes on sale.

Toro SmartStow Mower

The way this stores just makes sense.
Well I went ahead and picked this up. Fucking thing will start exactly once per day. First pull. If you shut it down to empty the bag or open the gate, you might as well quit for the day. Too bad, because the mower is slick; the engine is shit.

I took it back and went elsewhere and bought a Honda. That thing started first pull about 5 times today. Why the hell can't Briggs and Stratton do that?