Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
sorry i just have a powerful 4500 sq ft regular dehumidifier in my basement, it's so strong i have to close the door in the bedroom and get a huge 4L humidifier to keep it at 60% humidity (yes very high, but it seems to be the humidity point my wife doesn't have allergies)

Do you manually empty that dehumidifier? I assume so, how often?

Moved into the cabin. AC has been serviced, even put in a Reme halo light in it! Condenser and air handler are 26 years old but every ac tech I've had out say they're in good condition all things relative.

I'm pretty temperature sensitive and usually adjust AC a lot. Seems like this thing can't get below 72 during the day in Florida. Seems like some rooms aren't as cool as others (house is a small 2/1, maybe 1k sqr ft). Also noticed that if I get up to do something I start to feel hot pretty quick.. Not sure what that's about. Humidity fluctuates between 55-63% according to my nest which I guess is on the high end.

What do? Could humidity be an issue to me feeling overheated and gross when I get up to do shit?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Moved into the cabin. AC has been serviced, even put in a Reme halo light in it! Condenser and air handler are 26 years old but every ac tech I've had out say they're in good condition all things relative.

I'm pretty temperature sensitive and usually adjust AC a lot. Seems like this thing can't get below 72 during the day in Florida. Seems like some rooms aren't as cool as others (house is a small 2/1, maybe 1k sqr ft). Also noticed that if I get up to do something I start to feel hot pretty quick.. Not sure what that's about. Humidity fluctuates between 55-63% according to my nest which I guess is on the high end.

What do? Could humidity be an issue to me feeling overheated and gross when I get up to do shit?

Dude you keep your place an icebox like that? My house was like always 80F in Florida with AC. Get used to it. Where in BFE is your place anyway? Okeechobee or something?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

bigger stand alone units have the option of manual emptying or attach a garden hose let it drain that way, one of my requirements was to get one w/ a garden hose attachment.

idk what it is for swampland, but ppl say aim for 45% humidity for a good environment

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Dude you keep your place an icebox like that? My house was like always 80F in Florida with AC. Get used to it. Where in BFE is your place anyway? Okeechobee or something?
80F? You crazy tjt. My place is in the woods. Gonna grab a tower fan today.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

When it's below freezing I'll sleep with windows open

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Hi everyone! Moving over from the home buying thread. Closed last Wednesday, been moving in since. First home!

FInally got internet working today.

First big project! Ran 2x Cat5 from network equipment in basement to where the TV entertainment center will be, and 2x cat5 up to computer room!

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hi everyone! Moving over from the home buying thread. Closed last Wednesday, been moving in since. First home!

First big project! Ran 2x Cat5 from network equipment in basement to where the TV entertainment center will be, and 2x cat5 up to computer room!
WRONG!

first big project should be, google "how do i rip out fucking roofing tile in my living room!!!"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Why not upgrade to Cat6?

• 1Solidarity

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>

Your second big project should be to rip out that cat5 and run cat6. cat6 can support 10g ethernet which will future proof you for quite some time.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever had trenchless pipe relining done? My damn drain pipe seems like it may be on it's last leg. Scaling really bad, clogged today. Having it scoped tomorrow. On a concrete slab, really don't want to rip my terrazzo floors up..

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
WRONG!

first big project should be, google "how do i rip out fucking roofing tile in my living room!!!"

Lol, fair. Currently that room is all storage from the move. Its not the living room its an extra room.

Your second big project should be to rip out that cat5 and run cat6. cat6 can support 10g ethernet which will future proof you for quite some time.

Eh I'm cheap right now and other then the drilling through floors the runs were easy across a basement with drop ceiling. I'll worry about cat6 when I need it.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kind of delayed, had too much going on with the pandemic shit and quarantine. Finally ordered 4 yards of wood chips and laid them down. I'm officially exhausted. Only thing left is securing the boards to the ground, but that's another day
IMG_20200912_150539.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
For real keep mine at 77 max during the day.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I keep mine at 74 during the day and 72 at night (house is about 2k sq ft with a couple small bedrooms on the second floor and 2 HVAC units that cover roughly half the house each). The electric bill was over $250 per month this summer, but when we tried setting the thermostat higher it was much less comfortable and muggy inside. It doesn't help that I've got a 6 and 8 year old that constantly come in and go outside, stand with the door open, don't close the doors completely, etc.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I keep mine at 74 during the day and 72 at night (house is about 2k sq ft with a couple small bedrooms on the second floor and 2 HVAC units that cover roughly half the house each). The electric bill was over $250 per month this summer, but when we tried setting the thermostat higher it was much less comfortable and muggy inside. It doesn't help that I've got a 6 and 8 year old that constantly come in and go outside, stand with the door open, don't close the doors completely, etc.
i have my thermo set to geo fencing for both our phones, my wife is hot, as in she likes it at 70, so whatever, this summer bills were crazy high, but it was so hot, i had to go into my lawn sprinkler and force it to over water in order save my grass too, many neighbors have patchy lawns nows.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Poof

Last edited:
  • 1Moron

Silver Knight of the Realm
So these old cabinets had something drip down these two doors. Any way I could repair them and match the original stain? Don't have the original stain.

View attachment 301939

View attachment 301940
Honestly bro, with the wood delaminating like that, I would just replace the doors rather than try to fix them. For stain, take a door off and hit up Sherwin Williams or a similar specialty paint and stain retailer. They should be able to color match stain for you. Barring that, you'd have to use offcuts of the ply you make your new doors out of and mix n' match stain to get those doors just right.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, those are not worth saving. You could just cut a piece of lumber grade plywood and stain it as close as possible and they would be better. Or, look at Menards and Lowes, many of them have cabinet doors you can buy. You might be able to replace all of them for a reasonable price.

For example

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
tenor.gif

no point in doing a "minor" fix when you need to replace the entire kitchen, just by looking at the floor it's a kitchen from the 70s, might as well just live with it until you save enough/want to do a remodel.