Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know the shower head needs to go, wasn’t sure about the valve in the wall
you mean the mixer thing?
KSF406BG-6.jpg

(lulz who spelled balance wrong?)
if you have nice full pressure and youre not getting hellspawn water or glacier cold, theres no reason to change it.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I learned the hard way when I was remodeling not to base anything on the colors you see on the screen of a cheap laptop.
This was a big part of what led to us paying a color consultant. heh

I will also step in to defend Ryobi tools. I'm a DIY/hobbiest builder and the Ryobi tools have been damn solid for me. Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus got me one of the older 8 port chargers and it died... well.. it died after around 11 years of service. I still have an old Ryobi sawzall from when they were blue and before they went to the neon green that is still a little beast. Now, I'm not in the trades, I'm not building shit with them every day, so YMMV. But for a DIY user, I've had good luck with them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
what do ppl feel about a flush floor outlet? i would use this for the living room coffee table, so ppl can charge their phones, rather than goto the side table
1d27dcdcce2a8c2826f5d2392507d25b.png

i honestly don't feel it's needed, looks fun to do, and honestly it wouldn't mess up the living room b/c the coffee table would be where most ppl put it cuz of the stupid ass chimney + tv.

A product designed by Big Electrical Cabling to induce you to kick and break all your plugs.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I have two water related issues ATM.

1. The hot water in the kitchen sink is slow as fuck, hot water elsewhere is fine. I'm feeling like it's an issue w/ the value under the sink :
- My washing machine had been disconnected and when I turned off the valve, water was still coming out of the line in for the dishwasher. I had to turn off hot to the whole house @ the water heater. I'm assuming the valve is busted internally somehow where turning the handle isn't rotating the valve and needs to be replaced.

2. The shower head (stationary/hand held combo) leaks out of both heads at up to 2 drips per sec from each head. The output switch/value (circled in red) broke somehow internally, it no longer has an audible or tactile 'click' when switching between the outputs. So it's the fixture and/or the main/rough-in valve.

1a (Sink). Either valve and/or occlusion in the water line. What kind of piping do you have and how old is it? If you've got galvanized piping you may be in for a plumbing replacement.
1b. "My washing machine had been disconnected and when I turned off the valve, water was still coming out of the line in for the dishwasher". I'm assuming you're referring to the same machine and one or the other is a typo? If your washing machine and dishwasher are interacting, your house is haunted.

Washer valve replacements are pretty easy. The right parts are probably ~$10-20 and it's an hour's work for a newbie. I did mine a few weeks ago. Look it up on YouTube and be careful not to strip anything.

2. Your diverter valve is failing. It looks like yours is integral? Just buy a new shower system, preferably one with a separated diverter so you can buy replacements on Amazon in the future. They're cheap.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yall think converting most of the attic to living space is worth it? Would have to spray foam the ceiling to insulate etc. for reference home is 1500 sq feet and I live in south texas so no basement.

I could easily do the flooring and moving the ducts around myself just mainly the foam and sealing it in properly I would have to hire a crew to do.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
Yeah Ryobi is top quality stuff really. I've had the same edge trimmer for a decade and the battery hasn't even lost charge.

So I am looking to get spray foam insulation done. Has anyone done this? I have a need for both better insulation as TX is hot AF and my primary creature comfort of better sound reduction. We have this open plan house that seems to be the rage lately. While I like it it has the side effect of me being able to hear everything going on from my work desk. To the point of I can hear my wife and kids talking and not the work call I am on despite the computer being right in front of me and I have headphones on.

To aid in that spray foam insulation and I am also getting a solid wood door

I had spray foam done about 7 years ago, definitely helps muffle the noise from outside as well as insulates. Ask about warranty on the product. About a year ago I had to open a bathroom wall and found the spray foam had shrunk away from the wall by a few inches each side.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
Yall think converting most of the attic to living space is worth it? Would have to spray foam the ceiling to insulate etc. for reference home is 1500 sq feet and I live in south texas so no basement.

I could easily do the flooring and moving the ducts around myself just mainly the foam and sealing it in properly I would have to hire a crew to do.
Even if you insulate the fuck out of it, it's still going to be an attic. The only way to make that space livable would be to add a mini split.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I had spray foam done about 7 years ago, definitely helps muffle the noise from outside as well as insulates. Ask about warranty on the product. About a year ago I had to open a bathroom wall and found the spray foam had shrunk away from the wall by a few inches each side.
How much did it cost you?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Interesting little problem that could cost me ~12k to fix, or not. I have a condo I rent out where the front corner of it has sunk a bit due to erosion. The kicker here is that the erosion came from a water main pipe that had been leaking for, possibly, years. As the hillside next to it and the area behind the condo's was moist in the middle of the Summer even as far back as when I purchased the place years ago. I got some landscaping done around the area, and they found the leak. Called the city about it, they denied that there was a leak. Even went so far as to threaten the technicians time to check out the issue. Long story short - they fixed the water pipe and now the entire area is dry and normal.

But now.. the basement leaks. Im going to end up putting a sump pump / drainage square in the basement - especially so since it doesnt have floor drainage. Im just curious if anyone has ran up against the city, their ineptitude, and getting any money out of them for it? The 12k is for an actual foundation company to come in, put a sump pump drainage system in, do w/e they do to the walls to bring them back to level, repair the sinking front porch, and put new barriers up on the outside. But I can pay my handyman 1900 and he can just do a Sump Pump only.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It will be hot as fuck man. I’m in TX too and just the upstairs of our house is 3-4 degrees warmer than the downstairs, even with the AC running. I would only go into our attic in a dire emergency.

that said, because we don’t have winter, you won’t have to worry about maintaining a cold roof, so you can insulate to your heart’s content. Just make sure to have a dedicated AC unit for the space.

• 1Like

Burns

Interesting little problem that could cost me ~12k to fix, or not. I have a condo I rent out where the front corner of it has sunk a bit due to erosion. The kicker here is that the erosion came from a water main pipe that had been leaking for, possibly, years. As the hillside next to it and the area behind the condo's was moist in the middle of the Summer even as far back as when I purchased the place years ago. I got some landscaping done around the area, and they found the leak. Called the city about it, they denied that there was a leak. Even went so far as to threaten the technicians time to check out the issue. Long story short - they fixed the water pipe and now the entire area is dry and normal.

But now.. the basement leaks. Im going to end up putting a sump pump / drainage square in the basement - especially so since it doesnt have floor drainage. Im just curious if anyone has ran up against the city, their ineptitude, and getting any money out of them for it? The 12k is for an actual foundation company to come in, put a sump pump drainage system in, do w/e they do to the walls to bring them back to level, repair the sinking front porch, and put new barriers up on the outside. But I can pay my handyman 1900 and he can just do a Sump Pump only.
Sounds like foundation problems are in your future and it's not going to magically get better by ignoring it? Sell it now and, plead ignorance if it keeps sinking/shifting, when the new owners sue you, or be forced to fix a more expensive issue when a huge crack forms and starts messing up the whole house due to subsidence. If there is rebar in the concrete, it will start to rust and destroy an even larger area with spalling.

There is a chance it's not an issue, but without knowing what damage the leak caused, it's a gamble. Maybe hire a engineering company to come evaluate the issue, if you aren't going to sell it (their report would kill plausible deniability though, right?).

Want to see what putting the problem off leads too? A structural engineering employee posts his pictures of fucked up houses on Imgur, weekly (which is rather interesting on it's own): imgur.com/user/AlphaStructural

• 1Like

Daidraco

Sounds like foundation problems are in your future and it's not going to magically get better by ignoring it? Sell it now and, plead ignorance if it keeps sinking/shifting, when the new owners sue you, or be forced to fix a more expensive issue when a huge crack forms and starts messing up the whole house due to subsidence. If there is rebar in the concrete, it will start to rust and destroy an even larger area with spalling.

There is a chance it's not an issue, but without knowing what damage the leak caused, it's a gamble. Maybe hire a engineering company to come evaluate the issue, if you aren't going to sell it (their report would kill plausible deniability though, right?).

Want to see what putting the problem off leads too? A structural engineering employee posts his pictures of fucked up houses on Imgur, weekly (which is rather interesting on it's own): imgur.com/user/AlphaStructural
Trust me. I get how destructive water problems can end up being. Ive had my hands full lately with issues revolving around foundations. I'm just trying to fix it and pass the buck off on the city for being the origin of the problem, or, which I may pursue at the same time - the HOA if I can find culpability. Although thats going to be a shit show because Im the property manager for that HOA. The board is already complaining they dont have enough money (which is an everyday complaint apparently.) Installing a sump pump is definitely a bandaid, but I already know that trying to get the entire job paid for by the city or the hoa is going to be a long drawn out process.

• 1Like

Burns

Trust me. I get how destructive water problems can end up being. Ive had my hands full lately with issues revolving around foundations. I'm just trying to fix it and pass the buck off on the city for being the origin of the problem, or, which I may pursue at the same time - the HOA if I can find culpability. Although thats going to be a shit show because Im the property manager for that HOA. The board is already complaining they dont have enough money (which is an everyday complaint apparently.) Installing a sump pump is definitely a bandaid, but I already know that trying to get the entire job paid for by the city or the hoa is going to be a long drawn out process.
I remember reading about websites that will help you fill out and find the proper legal documents for various situations, that might allow you to successfully represent yourself in small claims. It's probably still best to pay for a consultation with a local lawyer, that knows your local laws though, as success in the matter probably hinges a lot on them and/or state laws.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone add a second story to a house? Lookin a tiny place that I need to more than double the square footage, which is doable if I add the second story and also build over the garage. Unclear what this costs. I’d imagine just adding the structural integrity to support that extra weight must be costly
What's the first story made of ?
here in EU it's not that expensive to add a 2nd floor if the 1st one is concrete and bricks.

fris

Vyemm Raider
As a fellow Texan, I can't be the only one dieing in this heat. My AC is close to 20 years old and I rather not have to spend more on it. At least once a summer, I get to spend something in it. Like replace the outside fan motor or capacitor. I got a hard start one a few years ago.

Has anyone used a window unit to share the load? My home is a small 2 story with 1 AC unit. My master bedroom is in direct sun light all day. The windows I could use will be unshaded for most of the day. Window units seem to sun a few hundred. Do those help much and would it run well despite being in direct sun?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
As a fellow Texan, I can't be the only one dieing in this heat. My AC is close to 20 years old and I rather not have to spend more on it. At least once a summer, I get to spend something in it. Like replace the outside fan motor or capacitor. I got a hard start one a few years ago.

Has anyone used a window unit to share the load? My home is a small 2 story with 1 AC unit. My master bedroom is in direct sun light all day. The windows I could use will be unshaded for most of the day. Window units seem to sun a few hundred. Do those help much and would it run well despite being in direct sun?

Buy a Midea U inverter window unit. Super efficient, quiet, smart hub enabled, etc. I am super happy with mine, bought a bunch until my current undersized mini split dies and I replace it all.

fris

Vyemm Raider
My brother got that exact model and speaks highly of it. My debate I guess is a true window unit vs tower type that has hoses to the window.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My brother got that exact model and speaks highly of it. My debate I guess is a true window unit vs tower type that has hoses to the window.
these are highly horrible in cooling
6ed3f04b32f554aa6eb53c0487ee5f0d.png

and only good for 2 cases
1. where you have sliding windows where a traditional box doesn't fit
2. where apartment complexes do not allow window units cuz theyre ugly