Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You guys answered my questions without my even having to ask! I was going to ask about Roundup and about fire damage. After watching the above video of them burning they seem like a real problem for fire. After checking about local tumbleweeds it turns out they are an issue here, too. There is a farm locally that is for educational purposes. They do things much as they would have done in the 19th century with some modernization. They currently have an issue with tumbleweeds it turns out. They're doing everything they can to deal with it. They do controlled burns of the property, including the farming fields, in some yearly rotation (don't know how often). They're doing about double the burns to try to control the tumbleweeds right now. They're trying to burn the tumbleweeds in place so they don't have the chance to spread their seeds, and then (after marking where they were with steel posts) they dig up that area and dump the soil in the swamp. Apparently submerging the seeds in water kills them.

Who knew. I actually learned things at FOH today!

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yeah the resistant to roundup thing is why I use a company that has a year no-grow back warranty. It becomes their problem.
Also my wife said today she saw something green in the yard this morning and was calling them if it gets worse. I do so love that woman.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
You guys answered my questions without my even having to ask! I was going to ask about Roundup and about fire damage. After watching the above video of them burning they seem like a real problem for fire. After checking about local tumbleweeds it turns out they are an issue here, too. There is a farm locally that is for educational purposes. They do things much as they would have done in the 19th century with some modernization. They currently have an issue with tumbleweeds it turns out. They're doing everything they can to deal with it. They do controlled burns of the property, including the farming fields, in some yearly rotation (don't know how often). They're doing about double the burns to try to control the tumbleweeds right now. They're trying to burn the tumbleweeds in place so they don't have the chance to spread their seeds, and then (after marking where they were with steel posts) they dig up that area and dump the soil in the swamp. Apparently submerging the seeds in water kills them.

Who knew. I actually learned things at FOH today!
Stick around long enough and you, too, will earn your Shit-doctorate.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have one doctorate. It's good enough, so I can whip out the "that's DOCTOR to you..." card when i'm sufficiently drunk.

On the catastrophe of the day front. Calling the AC folks since today my AC started doing this trick of running for 5-10 minutes they apparently resetting, waiting a few minutes, then starting up again. Nest thermostat showed nothing wrong, but if you went to the web based nest app you see....

1695265424020.png

Looks like the 115v -> 24v transformer in the unit is starting to fail. It will only do this momentarily, then reset to normal. But when it does there's a failsafe that keeps the compressor and system from re-engaging for a couple minutes...

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
I have one doctorate. It's good enough, so I can whip out the "that's DOCTOR to you..." card when i'm sufficiently drunk.

On the catastrophe of the day front. Calling the AC folks since today my AC started doing this trick of running for 5-10 minutes they apparently resetting, waiting a few minutes, then starting up again. Nest thermostat showed nothing wrong, but if you went to the web based nest app you see....

View attachment 491530

Looks like the 115v -> 24v transformer in the unit is starting to fail. It will only do this momentarily, then reset to normal. But when it does there's a failsafe that keeps the compressor and system from re-engaging for a couple minutes...
Tramsformers don't usually fail intermittently, I would check to see if you have a drain that is slow to drain and tripping a float switch. Could be a loose low voltage connection too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 491530

We've talked about this before in this thread I think because I was asking all of the questions, but if you don't have a proper power wire to your Nest then this is your Nest's fault and not your A/C.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
We've talked about this before in this thread I think because I was asking all of the questions, but if you don't have a proper power wire to your Nest then this is your Nest's fault and not your A/C.
Oh, I've run a voltmeter on the wires. The Rc wire shows 24-25VAC every time I check it. If the voltage is failing it's failing momentarily causing the reset at the thermostat, then it's back by the time I check it. And I haven't had the patience to sit there watching the meter for 15 minutes to watch for a drop. I need an AC maintenance check anyways and I trust my AC guys so I'm going to let them do a dive on the unit just in case. But I am also very prepared to go down and drop $250 on a new nest, or get a different thermostat since honestly the nest isn't groundbreaking technology these days.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Tramsformers don't usually fail intermittently, I would check to see if you have a drain that is slow to drain and tripping a float switch. Could be a loose low voltage connection too.
Exact behavior mine had with my Nest and it was the float switch. Flushed it and has worked 100% ever since.

HVAC company is out doing their PM today, in fact. For once I don’t need an extra lb of freon but it does look like we need a capacitor on a blower.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
decided i want an air purifier in "almost" every room

mind you, i already have 3 winix 5500s occupying the most rooms

but like this house has the tiny bedrooms for kids that don't need a 5500, and these would suffice
b3ad94cdd9ad192475d7a8b9abd14d00.png

so far the blueair has a whine, the medify hasn't come in yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
decided i want an air purifier in "almost" every room

mind you, i already have 3 winix 5500s occupying the most rooms

but like this house has the tiny bedrooms for kids that don't need a 5500, and these would suffice
b3ad94cdd9ad192475d7a8b9abd14d00.png

so far the blueair has a whine, the medify hasn't come in yet.
so far the blueair has a 95 good score from my amazon air quality analyzer

w/ scores of
pm 2
co 2
voc 1

(i'm just listing the values from the app)

the co should actually be 1, but my wife likes to have a candle on when working, why?

woman

in hindsight i should have done this w/ no air cleaner on (which i'll do on the weekend, since this is the office room) as a control, and my first test should have been the winix i've used for over 10years vs the newer model winix.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

w/ scores of
pm 2
co 2
voc 1

the co should actually be 1, but my wife likes to have a candle on when working, why?

woman

in hindsight i should have done this w/ no air cleaner on (which i'll do on the weekend, since this is the office room) as a control, and my first test should have been the winix i've used for over 10years vs the newer model winix.
I'm curious how much of an impact these have in an average home I had a winix years ago and now don't run any because outdoor air quality is great here. I mean it certainly collected dust over time and the filters had to be cleaned, but eh?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm curious how much of an impact these have in an average home I had a winix years ago and now don't run any because outdoor air quality is great here. I mean it certainly collected dust over time and the filters had to be cleaned, but eh?
i guess it depends on where youre putting it?

the air quality score (this is the only metric i'm using now) i got for my master bedroom was 85, it's been this way for a year since i just put the sensor there and forgot about it, with the newer winix 5500-2

does it mean the winix sucks? probably not, it's in the master bedroom where literally everything is in there, linens, bed, all the electronics (we game on the bed, not living room), i did just plug in the medify in the room along w/ the winix and the score didn't change, and the medify is supposedly a "medical grade" cleaner.

Siliconemelons

random: but +1 sharkbite

When I moved into my current house (8-9 years? ago) they were not new, but getting more popular and available in different use-cases / sizes etc. all my plumbing is copper- that is good, but we had, as always 1 or 2 solders that didn't take, and sitting there burning through the water to try again is just...argh... 15$ shark bite, done. Did research at the time and most plumbers hated on it and the usual it could be an issue if type stuff.

At the time there was talk (and grumbles) of shark bites getting in-wall code approved - I checked a few years ago out of curiosity because I had to replace a hot / cold on/off for the washing machine and found a shark bite faucet - how convenient! Seems it got approved "in certain situations"

Make a nice cut, use the proper debur thing, done and happy.

They even make shark bite copper to PEX for even more upset your plumber union action.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

w/ scores of
pm 2
co 2
voc 1

woman

medify gots a score of 94 and is doing
pm 5
co 1
voc 1

Palum

what Suineg set it to
well winix 5500 in tiny room does
pm 1
co 1
voc 1

it also has the benefit of going turbo when it detects bad air
You're using the Amazon air quality thing right? I was considering picking one up to roam the house with.