Home Improvement

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I take that back, if the glue was System 3 epoxy, but than the next guy who has to demo those stairs would want to stab you with a soldering iron.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Epoxy was a joke please dont. it would be super bad. Liquid nails and fasteners. liquid nails it just to buffer the bounce from walking on the lumber and stop squeaks. A must do for sub flooring imo

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'll do adhesive and 16 gauge trim nailer prob.

Hope i can get some thin smooth something to laminate the risers so i don't have to get into that shit too, poplar risers are like 12 bucks each at lowes.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'll do adhesive and 16 gauge trim nailer prob.

Hope i can get some thin smooth something to laminate the risers so i don't have to get into that shit too, poplar risers are like 12 bucks each at lowes.

they make per-laminated board (4x8 feet), it has a low grade formica like surface. you have to masking tape where you are gonna cut so the face doesnt peel, and spotting to hide the fasteners is shitty. comes in a bunch of thickness, they fab shitty cabinets out of it, a plywood supply place would carry it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
they make per-laminated board (4x8 feet), it has a low grade formica like surface. you have to masking tape where you are gonna cut so the face doesnt peel, and spotting to hide the fasteners is shitty. comes in a bunch of thickness, they fab shitty cabinets out of it, a plywood supply place would carry it.

as with all this fine finish stuff you need fine tooth blades on your saws or you cuts will be rugged as fuck.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Some weather delays so I have been working on landscaping ideas and come up with something like this:
qmUrLM1.jpg

The idea is a rock garden with little to no maintence.

The concern is when it rains do you think blocking the path all the way to my back house patio will cause issue? Backyard has never flooded but with all these added obstacles I worry about it.

Picture of current landscape for reference:
uKepo1P.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
Seems like it probably would.

For rock patches you seem to generally need some sort of drainage plan. In a heavy rain that overruns your gutters you'll have water coming off the roof and falling directly into the rock garden.

They have that cheap ass black plastic corrogated piping. Maybe just bury some of that under the rocks to create some sort of drainage? And run it over to where ever your gutters drain out.

You could do it without that, too, but you'd have to dig small ditches. It seems like either way you'll have to maintain it ever couple of years. Water coming off of the back side of that shed at least looks like it will create a pond.

OTOH it doesn't look like you get very heavy rain right in that spot, judging from the ground. So maybe it's an unecessary precaution.

Last edited:

Picasso3

Id do what you want and if you have problems it'll be easy enough to fix. I would think you're pretty sandy so even if it catches it it'll infiltrate.

If you're really worried about it dig a deeper hole to put your rocks in and you'll have more storage capacity and if you're crazy worried about it then do that and add a perforated drain along the bottom going to your gutter drain or your neighbor's house.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
neighbors yard +1.

See, that's the difference between an amateur and a professional. Big P always thinking one step ahead. This week, I have this job. Two months from now I'll have another!

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am working to put in a drop ceiling in my basement renovation and we have chosen to do a Deep Coffer drop ceiling from Armstrong.

Here's the product: Deep Coffer Black Easy Elegance Coffered Black 2' x 2' Panel 1280BLBXA by Armstrong

I am having difficulty figuring out how to do lighting in the drop ceiling. I have 6" recessed cans for new construction that secure to the drop ceiling grid, but they have no room in their design to allow for the 2" coffer in these panels. Anyone know what type of lighting I should use to secure to the grid while still allowing for coffer space?

Picasso3

I used 4" remodel housings that snap in to the panel. May sag eventually but i could also go through another panel and wire them to joist if i needed.

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wiring them to the joists makes sense and seems a good idea to bolster the sag.

I don't think it handles my problem, however. The 4" or 6" both connect to the grid system and sit just above it, likely touching a traditional ceiling title/panel that sits within the grid.

My ceiling tiles are coffered, meaning they have a depth of ~2" above the grid when installed. Accordingly, there is no room for a light housing to span the grid as the coffered tile is in the way.

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah ... that makes sense now, thanks. I hadn't considered remodel housing as I thought they were mostly for drywall ... but the idea of putting it into the tile and attaching it to the joist makes sense. Do you know if this jives with most codes?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some weather delays so I have been working on landscaping ideas and come up with something like this:
View attachment 113361
The idea is a rock garden with little to no maintence.

The concern is when it rains do you think blocking the path all the way to my back house patio will cause issue? Backyard has never flooded but with all these added obstacles I worry about it.

Picture of current landscape for reference:
View attachment 113362
Speaking of rock gardens, does anyone know a good way to prevent weeds in them?

I haven't done it yet, but eventually I'll be xeriscaping my front yard because I'm tired of mowing the lawn there (will keep the back). But I don't want to have to pick weeds out of rocks every year that inevitably build up when the dirt starts accumulating.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Speaking of rock gardens, does anyone know a good way to prevent weeds in them?

I haven't done it yet, but eventually I'll be xeriscaping my front yard because I'm tired of mowing the lawn there (will keep the back). But I don't want to have to pick weeds out of rocks every year that inevitably build up when the dirt starts accumulating.

I plan to use a weed barrier, pretty sure that does what it says.