Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yes. @a_skeleton_03 why not get the Andrew Jones Pioneer set up? Or if its not that big of a deal why not a decent sound bar?

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
What I was getting at is what you are looking for from a HTiB. If its sound quality, I would suggest skip the box and get the Andrew Jones Pioneers and an inexpensive AVR. If its convenience and lack of clutter that's where the soundbar comes in. If you are willing to buy the AVR you can get a pretty nice set up from some of the home theater speaker packages. There are a lot of nice options.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been living at this house for over eight years and haven't done shit with the basement. Finally had some spare bucks (thanks, kids no longer in daycare) and have started scavenging for nice used furniture and electronics sales.

SpvJtO.png

It's a very small basement with awkward door placements and ceiling drops, but it's going alright. Got some movie posters and frames coming in for one of the walls. Gonna get one more recliner. Sound system needed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's your budget bisi? I'm still looking myself and have been watching amazon and slickdeals like a hawk, but it seems like only polk speakers are going on sale with any regularity. It's close enough that I'm probably just going to hold off till black friday weekend before I say fuck it and pull the trigger on something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd rather not spend more than $800 on speakers and receiver. We'll see.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What I was getting at is what you are looking for from a HTiB. If its sound quality, I would suggest skip the box and get the Andrew Jones Pioneers and an inexpensive AVR. If its convenience and lack of clutter that's where the soundbar comes in. If you are willing to buy the AVR you can get a pretty nice set up from some of the home theater speaker packages. There are a lot of nice options.
This is where I really need to figure it all out.

I have a room a little like Adebisi Adebisi there. Not a ton of space for the entertainment part. It's also "split" as in the one half is the TV and couch and the other half is a desk and a treadmill. I don't know that I need/want a full surround experience.

Going to be hard to figure out what to do and easy to figure out which product to buy I think.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's better to slowly build a system than buy it all at once in a box that's kind of on the cheap end. Meet Dennis The New Affordable Accuracy Monitor.

He can do a center channel and some fronts(bookshelf)on the cheap that will be wayyyy better than anything you can get at that price range or in a box really. Think I paid 300 for it all. Really solid stuff. I'd suggest you guys consider that and buy a good receiver and slowly add. Fuck the cheap stuff, it really is just better piecing it as you can.

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Below is the area. I ran speaker wires to the back wall which is 2x4 stud with insulation over block, you can see them poking out. I have an rca cable run to below the window for a sub. I'm thinking if i put in walls in I'll have to box in behind them which is not a big deal. Am on the fence about putting 2 in ceiling speakers in the drop ceiling, it wouldn't be that hard it is just 1 more thing I'm not sure I'd appreciate.

plan on putting in an eye and putting all electronics in the closet.

smcMXyn.jpg
4qyIRjz.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazon.com: Polk Audio 265RT (Ea) 3-way In-wall Speaker: Home Audio & Theater

Any thoughts on that, seems like a pretty good deal compared to what they're list at elsewhere.

I have so much shit to buy for this basement i'm trying to find deals where I can instead of just moving from piece to piece and paying full price at that time.

I picked up these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O3TFZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my ceiling. I havent put them in yet since the room isn't done but they will be my left and right surrounds, they'll be parallel to my seating area. What I like about them is I can then aim them since the tweeter is adjustable and the price is pretty damn good for all the positive reviews.

I did consider some inwall speakers but they just weren't right for my room, is that polk going to be your rears? looks like it. That's where I considered putting speakers in wall but ended up going with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKNOYW...UTF8&colid=2LE3GF6KRK0L9&coliid=IEZMUWKEZ4D8H

Not sure if you're ready to buy a sub but there is a good black Friday deal on Klipsch 400-Watt 12" Subwoofer | hhgregg

I believe it will be $225 on Black Friday. I was considering it but I think my room is too big 20x20 so I'm looking at something from SVS

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was going to use them for my fronts, I'd much prefer to have all in walls. considering getting a wall mount center since I'd have to do some stud work to put an inwall there and it seems like the most important speaker.

I'm not an audiophile by any means but i do enjoy surround sound and cleanness... may end up totally cheaping out for starters and upgrading if i feel the need later.

I have an onkyo sub somewhere from a htib from about 2005, will a good one tickle my pickle thoroughly?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, most of the research just kind of lead me away from in wall and almost in ceiling. I had to do in ceiling. My room just doesn't lay out good for bookshelfs. But most of the comments and advice basically said the inwall and ceilng just doesn't sound as good. To sum it up shortly....But people in those communities tend to be all in for sound.

If you're on a budget, use that sub and see how it sounds. Can always upgrade later. I didn't know you had one. I dont have one and rather just make the right purchase once than cheap out and have to buy another.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
IMG_0199.JPG
Just got my setup running this weekend. I got a Denon AVR-S720W receiver, SVS PB2000, and the Pioneer Andrew Jones floor, bookshelf and center speaker. I'm really happy with how everything sounds even without the back speakers hooked up at the moment, thought I could fish a wire but can't. Two questions. First is the phase setting on the subwoofer. At 0 degrees it sounds a little tighter and at 180 degrees it sounds a little louder. What do? Also the previous owner had some speaker wire ran to some shitty speakers on the ceiling. I thought I could use the old lines to fish new wire above the drywall but the old wires are fastened in the wall and not moving at all. If I reuse the old wire for a set of Andrew jones bookshelf speakers how much will it effect the sound? The copper itself seems about as thick but the insulation is thinner than the new wire I got.

IMG_0199.JPG

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey Julian, same set up as me except for the Sub, but my speakers won't be in for a couple of days. I read up on wire and unless you're doing really long runs like over 200 feet, the gauge/insulation isn't that much of a factor at all on sound quality.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey Julian, same set up as me except for the Sub, but my speakers won't be in for a couple of days. I read up on wire and unless you're doing really long runs like over 200 feet, the gauge/insulation isn't that much of a factor at all on sound quality.

There are two main factors with wire gauge. #1 is distance, as you mentioned. #2 is current levels. The higher current (power /wattage) you are driving, a thicker gauge would be required. If you are running high current over long distance, even more thicker gauge is needed.

With those dinky little 130w Pioneer speakers, it should be a non issue.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Thanks guys, reusing those wires will save me a lot of grief.

Anyone have ideas on a good ceiling mount for a 10 lb speaker? I wasn't impressed with the stuff I found on amazon.

Siliconemelons

For Christmas I am "getting" from my wife the "okay" to built myself an arcade / retro pi set up.

Basically thinking of going this route.

PIK3A-mark-II-B.png

What buttons and stuff should I buy? How exactly do you wire the buttons and set up the keys etc.? I get the general idea but just more clarification or visuals would be nice :)

thinking of this combo - 2 Player USB Mame Arcade Kit w/ 2 Joysticks 4/8 way 16 HAPP Push Buttons 60 in 1 | eBay

I like that it has 2 players on 1 USB encoder - then I have one long USB wire from the controls - off to the little Pi box.

• 1Like