Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You need snowmobiles. A joy to ride. But not as maneuverable.

We're in the high desert. Really only get enough snow to ride them about every 3-4 years. There's definitely years that one would be useful though.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We're in the high desert. Really only get enough snow to ride them about every 3-4 years. There's definitely years that one would be useful though.

Yeah, I don't own one anymore for the same reason. You just can't get much use out of them every year, and it's silly to have one sit there for 2-3 years without use.

I did use one a lot as a kid, though. It was amazing fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Or trax on your atv…

not-bad-ryan-reynolds.gif

• 1Mother of God

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Random update on the pigs.

They've grown to about match my weight. An interesting milestone for an animal I plan to eat. A couple months to go til their One Bad Day.

Still no problems containing them with electric - they test it every now and then but no real issues.

They've turned 1 acre of grass and weeds into 1 acre of turned sod. Like if you ran a tiller through a field a couple passes over the whole field. We've decided to rotate some different animal through the pasture next after the pigs are gone. Something that leaves a mowed pasture instead of a tilled field.

Still enjoy watching them walk around turning grass into bacon. I'll post some pics of pork belly once they reach that stage.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Picked up the can am defender over the weekend. Build turned out GREAT. Requires like 10 hours of break in - just no hard driving or towing for the most part. Thing is super nifty. Had an electronic actuator installed for tilt bed - it’s like living my boyhood dreams of owning a dump truck (albeit on a much smaller scale).

Still trailer shopping.. Probably need to table that a month as I’m pretty busy right now. Looking at sure-trac the most at the moment..

Had irrigation well fixed. Did a submersible pump. The thing is insanely powerful. Next up is irrigation. Going to pay someone to do irrigation for landscaping and then have them leave room for me to do my own irrigation for vegetable garden/fruit trees.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That thing went out on ours and JD wants $750 for a new one. Pretty stupid what they can charge for parts.
Oh, this isn’t a John Deere. It was 1k option so if it goes out I can either put the manual one back in or replace. Enjoying it for now.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Whew boy are herbacides expensive. Not sure if they’ve gone up in price due to batflu as I’m a first time buyer. Spent $500 on glyphosate and garlon the other day. Mixing them to destroy invasives.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our supplier can't even fill our spring order of chemicals for this year, between the price of seed and fertilizer is gonna be a lot of farm foreclosures this year. Really sad.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. Wife has plans for butter, cheese, yogurt/kefir, ice cream etc. We'll can/freeze some, give some away, feed some to chickens, and obviously drink a lot. I live in a state where Raw Milk is legal to sell (with restrictions) and incredibly hard to find. If things go well we may end up selling some as there is demand but no supply. We're pretty focused on generating nutritionally dense foods and raw milk is perfect in that context.

EDIT: We'll be calvesharing as well so we won't really be milking more than we need at any given time.

As someone who's hitting year 4 on a hobby farm, plan on everything being at least 3-4x more difficult and full of bullshit than original estimates. Dealing with fencing is much easier than we expected, dealing with irrigation is much harder. My advice is to start slow and small. Enjoy the property and be careful you don't turn it into an enemy you hate.

We do chickens, goats, roping cattle for the team ropers to practice with in our arena and just put in four 4x120 ft rows for flowers/vegetables and plan do double this every year for the next few years.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Wife has plans for butter, cheese, yogurt/kefir, ice cream etc. We'll can/freeze some, give some away, feed some to chickens, and obviously drink a lot. I live in a state where Raw Milk is legal to sell (with restrictions) and incredibly hard to find. If things go well we may end up selling some as there is demand but no supply. We're pretty focused on generating nutritionally dense foods and raw milk is perfect in that context.

EDIT: We'll be calvesharing as well so we won't really be milking more than we need at any given time.

There's a pretty good black market for raw milk in some areas as well and people will pay $8-$12 a gallon for it.

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
There's a pretty good black market for raw milk in some areas as well and people will pay $8-$12 a gallon for it.
That makes a lot of sense to me. Trying to find it around my area has been very difficult. Its legal where I live, but nobody does it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
As someone who's hitting year 4 on a hobby farm, plan on everything being at least 3-4x more difficult and full of bullshit than original estimates. Dealing with fencing is much easier than we expected, dealing with irrigation is much harder. My advice is to start slow and small. Enjoy the property and be careful you don't turn it into an enemy you hate.

We do chickens, goats, roping cattle for the team ropers to practice with in our arena and just put in four 4x120 ft rows for flowers/vegetables and plan do double this every year for the next few years.
What was annoying about irrigation? I’m about to do irrigation on my property - I’ll have someone do the initial irrigation for landscaping around the house. My plan is once I figure out my garden/fruit tree layout I’ll do that irrigation myself.. I think

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What breed of goats are you guys raising and do you use them for meat, milk or?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Pretty cool florida chicken coop build that takes into account Florida weather. Think I’m gonna copy some ideas from it.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That's pretty cool but I think they need to put some kind of siding on it or that osb is going to disintegrate in the weather. If you don't want siding it would be better to use board and batten than OSB or plywood out in the weather.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That's pretty cool but I think they need to put some kind of siding on it or that osb is going to disintegrate in the weather. If you don't want siding it would be better to use board and batten than OSB or plywood out in the weather.
OSB?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Oriented Strand Board. What is all over the outside of that structure. Has a reputation for falling apart when it gets wet.

What would you guys recommend building the coop out of? Cedar or redwood and then maybe stain or paint for more protection??