Horizon: Zero Dawn

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Did you like the "computer magic" any time HADES would do anything? With magical red ribbons of magic would magically fly through the air and accomplish plot points?
Not having imagination sounds tough.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Are you asking me to use my imagination to compensate for laughably shitty writing?
That comment was in response to yours about magical red ribbons. Not being able to process HADES actions as anything other than the limited, due to 2d, physical representations signals a lack of imagination. As for the writing, I disagree that it was shitty so i would not ask you to use imagination to compensate for the writing. No imagination and no taste but it's ok, Russia is still right.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That comment was in response to yours about magical red ribbons. Not being able to process HADES actions as anything other than the limited, due to 2d, physical representations signals a lack of imagination. As for the writing, I disagree that it was shitty so i would not ask you to use imagination to compensate for the writing. No imagination and no taste but it's ok, Russia is still right.

the actions couldnt be accomplished without magical red ribbons, so in fact red ribbons need to have a grounding in reality and they dont. Otherwise its a Scifi game (which is supposed to be grounded in some basic science) that fills plot holes with "a wizard did it"

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
the actions couldnt be accomplished without magical red ribbons, so in fact red ribbons need to have a grounding in reality and they dont. Otherwise its a Scifi game (which is supposed to be grounded in some basic science) that fills plot holes with "a wizard did it"
Would a stream of 0s and 1s been better? The red ribbons were established early on as corrupting and "evil". It makes perfect sense to show them coming from HADES.

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally beat this game. What a shitty final battle and ending.

congrats. i enjoyed watching you hate-fuck this game for 2 weeks to completion, but i think you might have some problems lol

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Would a stream of 0s and 1s been better? The red ribbons were established early on as corrupting and "evil". It makes perfect sense to show them coming from HADES.

The are parts when red ribbons smash into the ground, lighting up the dirt. So this isnt just metaphorical 1s and 0s

SCIFI MAGIC

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The are parts when red ribbons smash into the ground, lighting up the dirt. So this isnt just metaphorical 1s and 0s

SCIFI MAGIC
It's the same mechanism as the one the machines are shown to use to consume biomatter. It's a well established thing in this universe.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's the same mechanism as the one the machines are shown to use to consume biomatter. It's a well established thing in this universe.
No, that's the Biomatter Conversion nanites, which is different.

I guess it's never *explicitly* stated in the first game whether the red HADES corruption code is visible only to people with focuses or not, but again that's a stupid fucking complaint. You see the entire game through the eyes of someone with a focus, so you can just assume that anything unnaturally glowy magic is a passive overlay, just like the neon signpost overlays in the game, or the door lock indicators, or any of the other glowy tech shit that you see all over the place that other people can't.

In the second game, when you give Zo a focus before entering the first cauldron in that game, she can see the purple glowing HEPHESTUS code on the Apex machines coming from the cauldron, and directly asks about what it is, so it makes it more obvious that it's an overlay.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You see the entire game through the eyes of someone with a focus, so you can just assume that anything unnaturally glowy magic is a passive overlay, just like the neon signpost overlays in the

Thats entirely untrue.

Heres a scene from the ending where red ribbons fly from the Spire, lighting up the ground, viewed from an aerial view (so without Focus view). Would be easier to just admit its "a wizard did it" shitty writing rather than doing mental gymanstics to rationalize this

1660921616900.png

1660921686623.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
No, that's the Biomatter Conversion nanites, which is different.

I guess it's never *explicitly* stated in the first game whether the red HADES corruption code is visible only to people with focuses or not, but again that's a stupid fucking complaint. You see the entire game through the eyes of someone with a focus, so you can just assume that anything unnaturally glowy magic is a passive overlay, just like the neon signpost overlays in the game, or the door lock indicators, or any of the other glowy tech shit that you see all over the place that other people can't.
I didn't remember that. Must have not collected that data point. Anyway, we all have accepted all kinds of weird and random shit as real in various video games and books and other media so I am not sure what Ara's issue is in this case. Felt fairly consistent with the established reality to me.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Should I play the expansion pack "The Frozen Wilds" or is it equally stupid and shitty?