House of the Dragon

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Those 20-24 episode seasons had a shit ton of filler and were oriented around X-of-the-week storylines.

They're still making those shows for broadcast networks. So feel free to catch up on Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, Chicago Lawyer, Chicago Teachers, Chicago Baristas, and Chicago Bums while you still can.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
The 24 episode shows were also 21 minutes so you ended up getting like 8.5 total hours of show per season. These 6-8 episode shows give you something like 5-10 hours so it's basically the same thing.

DickTrickle

Well, comedies were usually that short but dramas were about 40 minutes. Still, there's a lot of episodes from no-ad content providers that routinely go 50-60+ minutes. So probably a little less overall for those 13 episodes shows but not by that much.

Plus they don't have to artificially lengthen or shorten a particular episode to fit into the constraints for commercials; they can make it exactly what it needs to be.

A six episode season might seem short but if it tells the story it wants to tell I don't see the problem. Nobody balks at a two hour movie which would be the equivalent of three episodes.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As a prime example of that, 8 episodes worked for True Detective Season 1-- but failed to tell a complete story and finish the arcs of the characters in Season 2.

Final season of GoT needed to come up to at least 8 episodes from 6 to even be remotely palatable by even the lowest standards in television. No idea how that one got past HBO because the programming VP job is to guarantee length and runtimes.

D&D famously tried to turn in a 30-40 minute Season 1 of GoT during the pilot and HBO stepped on that immediately and said all episodes need to come close to an hour. D&D filled in the season 1 script with a ton of exposition to compensate. Much of the reason why GoT is good, character development wise, may actually just have been attributed to HBO telling them 40 minutes was unacceptable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Final season of GoT needed to come up to at least 8 episodes from 6 to even be remotely palatable by even the lowest standards in television.
Two more episodes to make it palatable is a pretty optimistic assessment. Two more seasons would make more sense, but that still ignores all the dogshit writing from season 5 onward.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Two more episodes to make it palatable is a pretty optimistic assessment. Two more seasons would make more sense, but that still ignores all the dogshit writing from season 5 onward.

I did say by the lowest standards in television, not premium television. Remotely palatable, as in maybe it could compete with CW heavyweights like

1700556673231.png

Produced by noted creative visionary Ashton Kutcher, The Beautiful Life revolved around a group of models sharing a residence in New York City. Anchored by a barely conscious lead performance from Mischa Barton, the show was critically reviled and virtually unwatched, and was pulled from the CW’s schedule after airing only two episodes.
1700556655409.png

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
weren't the episodes longer than normal?

There was some longer episodes or two in there you are right. The marketing for it made it sound like they were releasing movies at the time, which fell short of expectation. They ended up just being longer episodes than some 2h stuff it sounded like before the release.

On that note I yield because I don't believe increasing from 8 episodes to 10 episodes would do anything for the arcs, although I maintain 6 to 8 would. I think even with the extended episodes it would still fall short of 8, maybe by a matter of minutes.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The 24 episode shows were also 21 minutes so you ended up getting like 8.5 total hours of show per season. These 6-8 episode shows give you something like 5-10 hours so it's basically the same thing.
Shows like Lost and The West Wing are an hour and had 20+ episode seasons. I think it was more common than any of us remember.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Not true. Stargate SG1/Atlantis for example were full length and 15 seasons combined of 21+ episodes. They were also good.

Don't like that example? How about Star Trek series before Piss+

We're not talking Gilligan's Island history here bruh
As for the network vs streamers episode argument, all streamers pretty much end up ditched to network after streaming run.
Badlands on Netflix. Strike Back was on Netflix from Cinemax a long time and so on, many examples.
The only argument that has been valid is they fuck the viewers and writers can't write anymore.

Juvarisx

Florida
The best part is when networks pick up shows like Law and Order or Seinfeld in syndication and play them at 1.15x speed to fit an extra 30 seconds commercial in. Trust me you start to notice.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Not true. Stargate SG1/Atlantis for example were full length and 15 seasons combined of 21+ episodes. They were also good.

Don't like that example? How about Star Trek series before Piss+

We're not talking Gilligan's Island history here bruh
As for the network vs streamers episode argument, all streamers pretty much end up ditched to network after streaming run.
Badlands on Netflix. Strike Back was on Netflix from Cinemax a long time and so on, many examples.
The only argument that has been valid is they fuck the viewers and writers can't write anymore.
The comparison isn't network to streamers but commercial supported networks to others.

Strike Back was also an original UK Sky One production so it's kind of a bad example for claiming provenance for Netflix or Cinemax.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Arguably 24 helped kick start the shift to serial drama, guess how many episodes that had and how long each episode was because it was filmed in real time

Chris

Potato del Grande
Arguably 24 helped kick start the shift to serial drama, guess how many episodes that had and how long each episode was because it was filmed in real time
I still can't belive that they filmed the entire thing in one day, most shoots take months.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
twitter clip of filming, big spoiler if not read the book

this is most likely where season 2 will end, so it will only cover the 1st calendar year, ac 129, of the dance. with the news about about the big battle being moved to season 3.

What spoiler? Am I a retard cause I see vague shit but nothing spoilery.

edit: Wait now I hear it