How much income is enough?

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Smart internet stranger bros, how much income do you think would be the minimum cutoff to live comfortably (Owning your own home, one vacation a year, realistic retirement savings, college for kids etc) do you think a typical american family in an average cost of living area whould be?

I don't know very many educated or wealthy people, and I'd like more perspective than people thinking anything over 30k is "rich" (im not kidding)

Maybe to give it some structure something "like X amount by age X" ?

Last edited:

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
80k seems kinda high which is where they place the first noticeable spot of diminishing returns, interesting stuff thanks

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I'm convinced that it's never enough and I was happiest when I had 13 dollars to my name. We currently make 160k together (LA, so perhaps part of the issue) and it feels like sometimes we can't get ahead.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My thought is that when/if I make enough money such that I can make a sizable donation without said donation feeling like it has an opportunity cost. I know that's not the point of donations and I've never arrived what that number would be anyway. But it's my silly metric either way.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm convinced that it's never enough and I was happiest when I had 13 dollars to my name. We currently make 160k together (LA, so perhaps part of the issue) and it feels like sometimes we can't get ahead.

160k in LA actually doesn't sound like very much. I mean you're not banging rocks together or living week to week, but I doubt you live close to the affluent part of town either. 160k wouldn't really buy into the affluent parts of Raleigh. And we ain't high falutin.

Unless you mean the state and not the city.

Personally I put the number at 50-60k. But i'm a cheap old fuck. 75k really does sound good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, it varies so much from place to place. You can get a substantial, nice, four bedroom home on a two acre lot here for under 200K$. You don't need to be making all that much to have a big home, and food costs are also low.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
160k in LA actually doesn't sound like very much. I mean you're not banging rocks together or living week to week, but I doubt you live close to the affluent part of town either.

I live about 300 football fields from the ocean on the west side so I'm in a pretty nice area but affluence is weird here. Like the average home in my neighborhood is about ~1.6 million (I'm in a condo and the 1bd next to us just sold for 465k) but there are so many neighborhoods here where you can't even get in for less than 3 million, it's retarded.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Combined we are sitting at $250k and she is cutting back hours because we don't "need" it. We live very comfortable. So that is my number. Anything over that just takes whatever you buying and adds a +cost modifier to it.

New car? Better be at least $60k
Vacation? Better be overseas

Stuff like that starts to happen and you realize your life isn't that much different just the price tags are larger on everything.

That being said $250k was quite a bit tighter in San Diego.

SirJames

Golden Squire
I was going to post the article that someone up top already.

I think the question boils down to "How much do you need to not stress about money anymore?" If your an unhappy person, lotsa money not going to help that. If your a happy person, but making minimum wage, some extra income will help.

I tend to find that the "no longer stress" income kicks in around 60-100k a year, depending on family size, etc. As a 3 person family in a normal cost of living area, i can tell you that I don't see much of a difference between 100k and 200k personally. With more money I can retire early, buy a corvette or a second house,etc, but that is all just filler for a happy person. I still gotta put my pants on and go to work, get shit on by my boss etc, only now the numbers in my bank account are slightly larger.

You can throw that out the door for NYC, Boston, D.C. San Fran, etc. For those cities/areas I would double or triple it.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
300k a year for household in my area would be comfortable enough

This. I could and do live more frugally but 300k is comfortable and allows options without needing to check your account very often. Hell, kids break the bank with college and every man should have a stash of blow and hookers.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
300k should be comfortable literally anywhere in this country. Honestly, if you don't have kids, half that would comfortable anywhere in this country. If you don't think it is, you have don't have a good concept of what it's like to "not be comfortable".

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Too many variables. Cost of living. What kind of lifestyle you have and want to maintain, etc.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
300k should be comfortable literally anywhere in this country. Honestly, if you don't have kids, half that would comfortable anywhere in this country. If you don't think it is, you have don't have a good concept of what it's like to "not be comfortable".

LOL @ 300k, I can literally throw a rock half a mile and hit a trailer that has 2 million in meth inside

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
So I thought I was living comfortably in the 70k range single without kids until I read this thread. Now I feel like I am super poor because I am not making 200k+ a year.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Really impossible question to answer because people cant agree on what standard of living is required, and legitimate costs of living vary widely depending on region.

Waste your money buying new or 1-2 year old cars? Youre gonna need more. Want to spend college tuition level money sending your kid to private preschools instead of public school? Youre gonna spend more. etc. Want to live in an urban shithole somewhere like San Francisco or New York? Youre gonna pay mor for that privilege too.

Also, there is no reason a second adult should double it; almost all of your expenses are shared. Adding a child adds a small fraction. They dont eat that much. The marginal costs are small, a few thousand per year extra.

3 kids 2 adults here on 80 k and we are comfortable. No question of making ends meet.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Aldarion is right in my book. You can rent an older 3 bed 2 bath house in a nice OKC suburb with good schools for 1000 a month. If that is 25% of your take home pay a year then you ate looking at 48k pretax. That is 60k before taxes and let's throw in 15% for fully funded 401ks. So 70k for a family of 3 or 4 if you never own the house. That is two 35K a year workers and a lot of leeway.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Aldarion is right in my book. You can rent an older 3 bed 2 bath house in a nice OKC suburb with good schools for 1000 a month. If that is 25% of your take home pay a year then you ate looking at 48k pretax. That is 60k before taxes and let's throw in 15% for fully funded 401ks. So 70k for a family of 3 or 4 if you never own the house. That is two 35K a year workers and a lot of leeway.
I envy ppl who live in cheap areas

• 1Like