Inglourious Basterds

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
What a piece of shit movie. Quentin Tarantino should have retired in 1995.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
th_TryingTooHard.jpg

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
Oh sorry. I forgot I'm not allowed to offer opinions on films.

Especially as preposterous and stupid as Inglourious Basterds

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
it wasnt his finest work to be sure, but it was an improvement over death proof
Well that doesnt say much for his recent films. Someone summarized it better than me

What's not clear is what Tarantino wants to achieve: 'Inglourious Basterds' is an immature work that doesn't know whether it's a pastiche, a spoof, a counterfactual drama, a revenge tragedy or a character comedy. How can we, within a space of minutes, feel adult sympathy for a hunted Jewish family and then childish glee when a Nazi's skull is crushed with a baseball bat? The one cancels out the other.

But perhaps the biggest faux pas is introducing real historical characters. Tarantino's inventions are big enough - not least Waltz's terrific 'movie' Nazi - so why does he have to court implausibility by dragging in a loony Hitler (Martin Wuttke, nothing special) and introducing Goebbels? You might imagine, too, that this film was written in the '60s: Tarantino seems blithely uninterested in more than 60 years of slow reconciliation between Europe and its past.

I would also add to that the ridiculousness of having some Jew Special Forces running around occupied France, killing Nazis for... what? Its completely impractical, but thats the only way that Tarantino can make his little Nazi revenge fantasy work. The film implies that it is to terrorize Hitler. Yeah, like a guy whose entire world is starting to implode by 1944 really gives a shit about some Jews in France thugging around. On top of that, the usual Tarantinoisms - lengthy dialogue scenes, colorful characters, etc. feel out of place here.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The thread is YEARS late.

But yeah, that movie sucked dick. Fucking awful. An inch away from his own personal snuff film. Half surprised he couldn't find a way to sneak the n-word in somewhere. The only redeeming feature is it introduced Americans to Christoph Waltz.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well that doesnt say much for his recent films. Someone summarized it better than me

What's not clear is what Tarantino wants to achieve: 'Inglourious Basterds' is an immature work that doesn't know whether it's a pastiche, a spoof, a counterfactual drama, a revenge tragedy or a character comedy. How can we, within a space of minutes, feel adult sympathy for a hunted Jewish family and then childish glee when a Nazi's skull is crushed with a baseball bat? The one cancels out the other.

But perhaps the biggest faux pas is introducing real historical characters. Tarantino's inventions are big enough - not least Waltz's terrific 'movie' Nazi - so why does he have to court implausibility by dragging in a loony Hitler (Martin Wuttke, nothing special) and introducing Goebbels? You might imagine, too, that this film was written in the '60s: Tarantino seems blithely uninterested in more than 60 years of slow reconciliation between Europe and its past.

I would also add to that the ridiculousness of having some Jew Special Forces running around occupied France, killing Nazis for... what? Its completely impractical, but thats the only way that Tarantino can make his little Nazi revenge fantasy work. The film implies that it is to terrorize Hitler. Yeah, like a guy whose entire world is starting to implode by 1944 really gives a shit about some Jews in France thugging around. On top of that, the usual Tarantinoisms - lengthy dialogue scenes, colorful characters, etc. feel out of place here.
i watched IB as a satire on WW2 movies, i cant imagine any part of that was made to be serious, did anyone come out thinking this was anything but a comedy action movie?

Loser Araysar

<Gaming Ghost>
i watched IB as a satire on WW2 movies, i cant imagine any part of that was made to be serious, did anyone come out thinking this was anything but a comedy action movie?
Tarantino doesn't consider any of his films to be comedies. Only dramas.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
The first chapter in this movie (the part with Waltz and the french dairy farmer) is by far the best part of this movie. Actually, if this was a 20 minute short film just consisting the first 20 minutes, I'd probably recommend it to everybody. Really demonstrates the banality of evil.

The parts with the actual Basterds, I could take it or leave it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It would be one thing if it was just one post but on the whole Araysar's opinions are just horrible when it comes to movies, sports or just general life questions. I get that Araysar's business is flying in Eastern European women for us blue bloods to bang and lose a lot of money on. This certainly isn't Tarantino's finest work but it's by no means a bad film and Araysar talking shit about it while also having to put up with his guessingly poor American accent means he should just go home to Dagestan. Araysar please do us all a favor and fly home.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
While we're at the old movie thread, could you watch 300, I used to like going back to this one's thread, the sheer amount of joy and nerdgasm over foh board when the first trailers came out was incredible.

Inglourious Basterds is a nice movie.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It is my least favorite Tarantino movie. But not bad by any means.
I think it might be my favorite Tarantino film. Either this or Reservoir Dogs.

I'm an awful Tarantino fan boy. But even I thought Death Proof sucked.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Watch this movie, so if you wake up in Nazi Germany, you'll know how to count without attracting attention to yourself.