Interesting, Non Political News

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

We are witnessing the greatest selective event in human evolution since the Black Plague. But this time its voluntary.

More than half? lmao. With a selection differential like that you can turn wolves into poodles or poodles into wolves.

The generation born to Gen Z is gonna be a fundamentally different population than previous American generations. You don't impose a huge selective pressure like that without making some major changes, even if unintentionally.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The US has been able to avoid many of the issues with the phenomenon of decreased birth rates in most developed nations due to immigration (even taking illegal immigration out of the equation). You effectively replace births with an influx of people and for some countries (due to their culture or other factors), there can be a higher percentage of individuals from those demographics that have kids. However, that baby boost usually dissipates after a generation or two, since subsequent generations are more removed from their ancestral country origins.

However, it is a complex issue. There isn't just 1 "omg we solved it" factor. While costs can be a factor, it isn't as simple as that. Even if you could snap your fingers and create free childcare options, affordable housing and food for everyone, and free pre-natal medical, free birthing medical, and free child medical I think you would still encounter the issue. It might be reduced in some instances, but still a trend would be my hypothesis

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The US has been able to avoid many of the issues with the phenomenon of decreased birth rates in most developed nations due to immigration (even taking illegal immigration out of the equation). You effectively replace births with an influx of people and for some countries (due to their culture or other factors), there can be a higher percentage of individuals from those demographics that have kids. However, that baby boost usually dissipates after a generation or two, since subsequent generations are more removed from their ancestral country origins.

However, it is a complex issue. There isn't just 1 "omg we solved it" factor. While costs can be a factor, it isn't as simple as that. Even if you could snap your fingers and create free childcare options, affordable housing and food for everyone, and free pre-natal medical, free birthing medical, and free child medical I think you would still encounter the issue. It might be reduced in some instances, but still a trend would be my hypothesis
Instead of trying to engineer human populations by manipulating birth rates, how about we revolt against economic systems that require an ever-expanding tax base? Strategize how to kill that beast, not how to feed it more efficiently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The tax consequences of declining birth rates are the absolute last thing that should make us worry about declining birth rates. An afterthought. A side issue.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Worked for a company just outside San Antonio that was original Pennisula Steel. The owner of several companies bought them in CA and moved them to TX and kept the same and a few of the original family. I guess at one point they fabbed steel there and served CA and outlived their usefulleness.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
this is why we can’t have nice things. People who try to sue for stupid shit should be fined the amount they seek

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The judges questioned M.O.'s attorney, David Mayer, on whether his client's argument would make GEICO responsible for every unwanted pregnancy that might have occurred in an automobile.

"I don't believe that's a cause of action but that's a good question," Mayer responded. He suggested that pregnancies may not be "bodily injuries," but STDs and cancer are.
But wait.. it can get stupider! Stay tuned to the next episode of Lawyers for Gen Z!

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This shit predates Gen Z

I remember in the 90s some lady was in a grocery store and there was a ruptured Pepsi bottle and she claimed it traumatized her and she attempted to sue the store for millions

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

My friend's dad growing up was treated with LSD for alcoholism in the 60s in new Brunswick. They had an 80-90% success rate, the guy who founded AA went through it too. He got back from Nam a mess so he moved to Canada for treatment and stayed. He smoked pot for his PTSD too. In grade 5 or so there was a anti drug presentation put on by the police and the kid told the cop he was full of shit to his face in front of the school. It was my first taste of government lies

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
My friend's dad growing up was treated with LSD for alcoholism in the 60s in new Brunswick. They had an 80-90% success rate, the guy who founded AA went through it too. He got back from Nam a mess so he moved to Canada for treatment and stayed. He smoked pot for his PTSD too. In grade 5 or so there was a anti drug presentation put on by the police and the kid told the cop he was full of shit to his face in front of the school. It was my first taste of government lies
I know several folks that suffered PTSD and took the same approach with LSD, Shrooms, and pot while they healed and they're living awesome lives now and have been able to leave the brutality behind them. Just takes time.
Fuck the Gov and special interests.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even the VA website is like "schedule 1 means no accepted medical use, but we're researching medical use". There have been a lot of studies where psychoactive drugs in controlled settings and paired with other therapy techniques have had really profound impacts in treating PTSD and even depression.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
We knew plastic recycling was a scam, but did you know its actually responsible for the microplastic crisis?
in trying to avoid our fate, we have only made it inevitable. Instead of evading plastic pollution, we have helped to inject plastic toxins into every living thing on the planet.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's not so much that recycling plastic is a scam, it's that the scope of types of plastics that has been expanded to in recent years. The plastic used in things like milk jugs and soda/water bottles (PET and HDPE) is usually more valued in recycling because it tends to be a more durable and tough plastic, which is harder to degrade.

But plastics outside those categories tend to be less valued in the market place and as a result, are more likely to get tossed into landfills or incinerators anyways. Or be more susceptible to degradation.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You might check out the article. It goes so much farther than that.

When I say its a scam, what I mean is that almost none of what gets tossed in the recycling bin, anywhere, gets recycled.

But the article and the study it references point out that its actually a much bigger problem than that anyway. Because in the process of "recycling" plastics they created massive, global scale microplastic pollution that is likely to be much, much worse than a few landfills.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My understanding on residential recycling is

1) high value stuff like aluminum and clean corrugated cardboard almost always gets recycled and put back into the supply chain

2) mid tier stuff like glass and pet/hdpe have a pretty good recycle rate, but sometimes get outsourced and sometimes get buried/burned

3) everything else (mixed paper, other plastics) is a crap shoot. A lot gets tossed out or burned, some is processed, some used to be outsourced until that was no longer profitable

In any case, it’s an interesting hypothesis that should be explored further

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cardboard isn't high value. At best it's either a break even or they just charge us less to take it than sending it to the dump. And I'm talking truckload quantities here.