Interstellar (2014)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I love this movie. But the thing I never understood was how they go from planet to planet to planet in possibly different systems at the blink of an eye without going back into hyper sleep

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I love this movie. But the thing I never understood was how they go from planet to planet to planet in possibly different systems at the blink of an eye without going back into hyper sleep
I was under the impression that the planets were all in the same system. Still doesn't explain the years it would take to get to those planets, you are correct.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah same system. Maybe they do go to sleep and just don't show it. I also assumed they were pretty close together from the BH's pull

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
One last thing...wouldn't the debris surrounding the black who be super heated? I mean to star temps?

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
There's been plenty written on the science behind it. Most of it is sound but they did take some liberties for dramatic effect. Some things that seem like that must be the case are still grounded in science, though. Like the falling into the black hole bit. It is possible on extremely large black holes to pass the event horizon where there isn't a staggering amount of gravity. This prevents spaghetti-fication death and prevents the outside observer effect that is caused by gravity (like the rest of the film's time dilation). I don't remember what exactly causes the photons to form an event horizon further out. Magnetic fields, maybe? Point is, the science behind everything in the movie (correct and incorrect) has been written about over and over again. Can find it with minimal digging, I'm sure.

Jive Turkey

Karen
There's been plenty written on the science behind it. Most of it is sound but they did take some liberties for dramatic effect. Some things that seem like that must be the case are still grounded in science, though. Like the falling into the black hole bit. It is possible on extremely large black holes to pass the event horizon where there isn't a staggering amount of gravity. This prevents spaghetti-fication death and prevents the outside observer effect that is caused by gravity (like the rest of the film's time dilation). I don't remember what exactly causes the photons to form an event horizon further out. Magnetic fields, maybe? Point is, the science behind everything in the movie (correct and incorrect) has been written about over and over again. Can find it with minimal digging, I'm sure.
I might be misunderstanding which part you don't really remember, but it's not a lack of gravity that prevents spaghettification, it's that the ratio of gravity from one side of your body to the other isn't so large that the front end gets pulled in with a much greater force than the back end (which is why it's only "possible" to enter a supermassive black hole and not a regular old one...It seems a bit counter intuitive, but the more massive the black hole, the more even the pull of gravity across your body). So there is no issue with photons and event horizons; they still act the same as they would in a regular black hole

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Too bad all the science behind the movie didn't help make it a good movie.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
One last thing...wouldn't the debris surrounding the black who be super heated? I mean to star temps?
I assume you're talking about the accretion disk? It was there:

14178956531486.png

It acted as the "sun" for the planets.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I assume you're talking about the accretion disk? It was there:

14178956531486.png

It acted as the "sun" for the planets.
Correct. But wouldn't they need to cross that plane to actually enter the black hole? How would that be possible without being burned to a crisp.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Correct. But wouldn't they need to cross that plane to actually enter the black hole? How would that be possible without being burned to a crisp.
I'm throwing this out there expecting someone with more knowledge to correct it
smile.png

I never thought of that, so now it's got me thinking about the planets. Since this is a supermassive black hole and there is an accretion disk at the equator, is it possible that the rate of spin keeps most of the heat radiating from the equatorial part?

If you think about the planets: The first planet is a temperate water world, but is so close it has massive time dilation. The ice planet must be farther away, and the desert planet at the end is close since it is hotter, but not so close that they would mention time dilation.

So in guessing that the spin of the black hole forces it to expel heat closer to the equator? Ice planet is far away, temperate planet is extremely close to cause time dilation, but is currently rotating near the colder poles. Arid world is near the equator of Gargantua, getting a lot of light and heat.

The only thing that still gets me the whole movie is how Anne Hathaway's speech about love and whatnot. I don't hate the speech, but if it would have been replaced by a sound argument, they never would have went to the Ice planet. "Your husband is there, that's why you want to go." Anne: "No you idiots, it's closer to Gargantua, so given the choice of temperature extremes, the hotter planet with lots of solar power we can use for energy is a smarter choice. The other planet is probably very cold, doesn't get enough sunlight to power our stuff, and probably doesn't get enough light to grow plant life. Black science guy here lived on the station for 22 years. We have enough supplies to last years until we find a reliable water source."

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
it has no equator, it's warping space around it. The "sciency" part that this movie got super right was how the accretion disk would actually look. They plugged in terabytes of data and ran all the numbers and calculations to model the black hole, hundreds of hours of computation time to get the image scientifically accurate.

Except, how it looks "moves" based on what angle you are perceiving it from. The video they produced is accurate in that it shows space being warped as you pan the camera around it. They talked about this being far too jarring for a film audience to get it, so they never "move the camera" and keep the angle still so it appears constant, ie it appears to have an equator and a ring around it vertically but it doesn't. it's just bending and warping space. that isn't two distinct rings, it's just one, and that "ring" is everywhere. the blackhole doesn't have "poles" like a planet does, nor does it have an equator. It's massive gravity is bending space around it to make it appear like an equator.

If you want the sciency stuff then read the script (it's readily available on the internet), written by his brother and all those astrophysicist dudes. Chris Nolan yanked out all the sciency shit and replaced it with love story and other stupid shit to appeal to movie going audiences and dumb down the film.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is it confirmed that that was Chris Nolan's decision? I'd always heard it was the publisher/studio that forced them to remove the more sciency bits.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You actually could never enter a black hole and live, supermassive or otherwise. You are correct, in that the accretion disk surrounding an event horizon is super heated, but not to star temperatures, but to millions of degrees, so even from a far, far distance, any spacecraft (or person) would be disintegrated. Also, yes it is true that in a supermassive black hole the gravity is more spread out so if theoretically you could get through the accretion disk your ride wouldn't be as volatile, the "spaghetti effect" would still occur as you entered the event horizon (the part of your body or ship that enters first would be pulled at significantly harder than the back part). Also, most astrophysicists now believe that inside the event horizon is a "fire wall" where all the super heated material falling into a black hole literally forms a wall of fire as big as the event horizon itself, which obviously can't be seen outside of the black hole because the light can't escape (but makes a lot of sense since the material falling into the black hole is millions of degrees Fahrenheit). So really, there wouldn't be an actual scientific way to enter a black hole and survive (even leaving out all the stuff that happens inside of a black hole which scientists have only assumptions).

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Is it confirmed that that was Chris Nolan's decision? I'd always heard it was the publisher/studio that forced them to remove the more sciency bits.
yeah, the story was convenient and similar to an idea he already was working on so he basically just took bits and pieces from it, more of a backdrop than anything.
link

was talking to Jonah [Nolan] about the script he was working on with Steven Spielberg at the time. We'd bounce ideas off each other and it sounded incredibly exciting . I had the advantage of coming onto the project late and being able to look at what these guys [Jonah Nolan and Kip Thorne] had done. A lot of my contribution was ripping things out, because they put in more of these incredible mind blowing ideas that, I felt, I could absorb as an audience member. So I spent my time and my work on the script choosing the more emotive and tactile of these ideas to grab ahold of. . [Jonah] got very busy doing other things so I said, 'Hey can I take this and combine it with some other ideas I've been working on' - it was a bit more like him going 'okay, take a shot, we'll see what you do.' So I showed him what I had done and he seemed reasonably happy with it.

That link has the main differences between the original script and the movie. It doesn't really do the changes justice though. For example, nobody ever travels into a blackhole in the script, it's a second, smaller wormhole that is trapped in gargantua's orbit that they fall in to.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Also, yes it is true that in a supermassive black hole the gravity is more spread out so if theoretically you could get through the accretion disk your
Not true. You could get pretty far past the event horizon in a black hole as massive as Gargantua before spaghettification occurs.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I want to say since we've never been within a few thousand light years of a black hole that anything we claim to know about them is pretty much conjecture. Fun, but conjecture.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Not true. You could get pretty far past the event horizon in a black hole as massive as Gargantua before spaghettification occurs.
My point was, the spaghettification does occur, even in a super massive black hole, which means even if you somehow survived the whole way to that point, you're still fucked.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's my understanding that a spinning black hole would indeed have magnetic poles. That's how they radiate and decay. And they do indeed radiate but it is at such a rate as to be imperceptible. They will, eventually, be the hottest things in the universe. They will even, eventually, pop. They're supposed to release a lot of energy when they do as nuclear forces reassert themselves as dominant over gravitational ones.

And, according to Einstein, a black hole has to spin. Everything is in motion.

I mean that's why Hawking is famous, right? Hawking radiation. Without that he's just some physics professor with MS.