Invention thread

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I figured you'd be all up into BIOHACKING.
Bioengineering. I actually know something about stem cell biology and the fact you can't just throw shit together in a cell culture flask to make organs. Also, the amount of pretentious hipster douches at community labs would probably send me into a murderous rage if I were to go.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
A more convenient way to clip your finger and toe nails, some kind of automatic filer with a guard so it would take half a second to be done and require no effort

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
A more convenient way to clip your finger and toe nails, some kind of automatic filer with a guard so it would take half a second to be done and require no effort
Good idea but 1 flaw, if it were to go that fast, it the nail particles would burn. The smell...

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Which brings us to my invention. A device that would go over your Nail-Thrasher 2000 and mask the burning nail smell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Want better sun visor for the vehicle. I have yet to sit in a vehicle that has 2 per front seat (front/side). There is that corner spot time of day where you flip the visor back and forth trying to block the sun. Wish there were 2, front and side.
Side problem, generally it isnt long enough, some vehicle had that little slider to extend it but not all and it semi works.

Need an app for the phone that will allow me to call a number after x time with a pre-recorded message in an altered voice on repeat message, namely my desk phone. this will allow me to get out of a conversation with local over-talky co-workers. Want it to have authentication to 1 number its calling as a pre-setup to help from others using it for evil.
Set it for 10min after I get into the office.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Want better sun visor for the vehicle. I have yet to sit in a vehicle that has 2 per front seat (front/side). There is that corner spot time of day where you flip the visor back and forth trying to block the sun. Wish there were 2, front and side.
Side problem, generally it isnt long enough, some vehicle had that little slider to extend it but not all and it semi works.

Filthy peasant, this is already an option on Range Rovers.

Not on my Mazda though :(

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The loaner app: an uber for anything, rent out tools, houses, boats, cars, yada yada

Yeah, sorry bro, but the "sharing economy" has been a well used term since at least 2010. Outside of Airbnb, Uber, and a few others though it hasn't really seen mass adoption. Turns out people don't want to lend their weed whacker to a perfect stranger, because that asshole will probably bring it back broken. Look at some of the nightmare stories you hear about Airbnb places getting absolutely fucking destroyed.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, sorry bro, but the "sharing economy" has been a well used term since at least 2010. Outside of Airbnb, Uber, and a few others though it hasn't really seen mass adoption. Turns out people don't want to lend their weed whacker to a perfect stranger, because that asshole will probably bring it back broken. Look at some of the nightmare stories you hear about Airbnb places getting absolutely fucking destroyed.

Are you telling me this system has a risk in exchange for a reward?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My dad had a couple of good ideas. One was for a way to store christmas lights so they don't tangle up. Worked like a champ, he even had prototypes made and shopped them around. A few years later we saw them for sale by someone else.

He also had a plan for generating unlimited electricity for free (not counting building and maintenance costs), but I've been told it can't work because if it did it would be a perpetual motion machine

My only potentially marketable idea so far is for a camera that watches for speed limit signs and always displays the current speed limit. I'm sick of seeing cops and having no clue what the speed limit is. I don't even care if I make money off that idea, I just want the damned device. Maybe later it can be tied into your computer and automatically slow you down when a cop is near.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A christmas light roller and a perpetual motion machine is a pretty impressive resume.

They have speed limits on gps. Wife's subaru always displays it

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Told a co-worker there is a market to have someone sit at your house to wait for X repair/cable guy to showup and let them in, watch them and lockup when the finish. That sparked an hr long talk about private eye licenses might be needed and some other crap, this the dude was drooling over it frothing at the mouth acting like I kicked his dog.
It was a mild suggestion. Idea was to have a app much like the dog walker types that would allow you to ring someone for the service. Cheaper to hire someone than take the day off in my case.

This opens up all other sorts of things like will they need body cams, etc just so you know noone is robbing ya blind, etc. I never got to that point with the guy, just tried to walk away...slowly...

other note.
I want my tools to start having RFID build in, others dont always put things back. Same with dog toys, one dog has his fav ball and its always in random places in the house where he lost it and cant find it or get to it. Adding tags to it isnt always easy. Tools I could do that with some but not others.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They have speed limits on gps. Wife's subaru always displays it

Yes that started after i had my idea. But it's not always accurate on a GPS and I think my idea could eventually be used to slow you down when cops are around.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll probably never use this, so I might as well throw it there if somebody finds it interesting.

The idea would be to create a inventory management system combined with a Point of Sales that lives in the cloud. The system would provide a website for the business that could either be a read only list of the products they sell, an online store or be for private inventory management. It would come with a built in methods for home delivery (Uber for delivery?), mail delivery or in store pick up of items. The end user installation at a store would include a local server, POS machines and require an internet connection. The local server allows for the POS system to function if the internet connection is severed. In normal operation all activity would sync with the cloud, and if the connection to the cloud was severed all online store sales would go into a pending state until the connection to the store was re-established.

This is where things get interesting, I'd do my absolute best to keep the cost of the system as bare minimum as possible (ideally free). As sales occur in the cloud the sales data would be anonymized and sold to other retailers and to companies producing products. If enough people were using the system you could see sales trends as they happening and identify all sorts of niches that could be ripe for exploit. I'd potentially make the cost of the installation directly dependent on what information they were willing to share, and how much data they'd like to mine out.

Second phase would be to integrate a channel marketplace where companies could sell products directly to retailers. They would be able to provide estimations on sales and potential profit based on the existing sales data in the system as well as how to maximize their retail space to profit potential. This last part would require the retailers to provide all kinds of meta data on their products, the space they take up on the shelf and shipping weights etc. This would be something that could directly compete with SAP once it was flushed out.

Later phases would include ways of smaller retailers to bulk purchase anonymously with other retailers to allow them to get lower prices to better compete with larger stores with much larger purchasing power. Shipping companies could also tap into the data to better optimize shipping routes and find customers to improve existing routes. Being able to offer shipping customers discounts with total confidence that it will improve their bottom line.

Fuck I could go on for hours on this shit! It's just not something I could see as viable without serious venture capital money behind it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I made this thing: www.gettract.com

It's enterprise software for the timber industry.

I'm currently looking for an iOS developer, so yall hit me up if you know of anyone.