Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I did some maneuvering today, took some short term profits, at the close. Still holding longs but want to be in a better position if we have more volatility in coming weeks. Even in previous crisis markets I can not recall a time of having such a clouded view of the near future. I'm out of S&P and keeping QQQ. Think we are going to enter a real stock pickers market trying to figure out which companies are best positioned to profit from this environment.
I'm torn on the IVV vs QQQ. Part of me thinks QQQ is the better play and I should focus there. Another part thinks the government printing 2T tucobucks and handing them out to everyone means everyone in the S&P is going to ride the tide up, even the laggards.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As much as the market rebounded today.. are you guys expecting it to go back down within a week or two? Or continue to climb? I bought quite a bit of Boeing at 93.35 and now its at 128.70. I dont know whether to keep the gain, or dump it.

Pops

I hate chasing on these up days. But it might have legs, which as fast as the algos whip us around could only be days. Got to see how everything acts when the real big numbers come out.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As much as the market rebounded today.. are you guys expecting it to go back down within a week or two? Or continue to climb? I bought quite a bit of Boeing at 93.35 and now its at 128.70. I dont know whether to keep the gain, or dump it.
Anyone who tells you they know the answer doesn't know the answer. We could drop 10% tomorrow and I wouldn't blink. We are trading in a range right now and need to break out to the upside for any real conclusion in my opinion.

As for BA, it could be a great long term play... or it could go bankrupt and get a GM style bailout that screws shareholders. $35 a share profit is very tempting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Could last a few days with institutional rebalancing for month end.

historically, it’s unlikely we don’t revisit lower again. But so far this move has marched to the beat of its own drum so trying to have a plan for both possible outcomes .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Read this on WSB. I chuckled.

"Dow rebounds more than 11% in best day since 1933 as Congress nears coronavirus stimulus deal" Wow totally makes sense. There is a new, super contagious, deadly pathogen that is spreading unchecked in the US. The NYSE is closed, and a confirmed case in the US is now dying every 10 minutes. 100,000,000+ are expected to die globally.

BUT. Today our government ALMOST AGREED on a bill. That makes today the BEST DAY IN ALMOST 100 YEARS.
Im gonna fucking kill myself

• 1Like

Pops

I took some big loses in the oil crap I bought pre Oil War. So I wanted to book some short term profit.

wsb.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I expect at least 2 days this week to be deep red. But it's anyone's guess really. We had a 2k gain recently and then erased the very next day.

I hope we get more buying opportunities

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Futures opened in the green about 1/2%. Thats a good sign.

True but they do so with the vix up. I was quite discouraged to see the VIX slowly climb back all day and go green. Another positive was the move up in HYG and JNK. We need the credit spreads to calm down for this to sustain.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
True but they do so with the vix up. I was quite discouraged to see the VIX slowly climb back all day and go green.
Today was based nearly entirely on all the tweets about the Senate bill being on the 5 yard line. If the Senate fucks this up tonight tomorrow could be a flush down the bowl back to square one.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
you people all disgust me and I have a general rule not to post in this degenerate thread (would rather be caught posting in gaping assholes thread), but my plan is to buy the dip when it's announced the apr 15 deadline isn't gonna happen for most (if not all) states - I think that will be our rock bottom

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
you people all disgust me and I have a general rule not to post in this degenerate thread (would rather be caught posting in gaping assholes thread), but my plan is to buy the dip when it's announced the apr 15 deadline isn't gonna happen for most (if not all) states - I think that will be our rock bottom

Thanks for stopping by and adding to the conversation.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Aren't they all gaping asshole threads at this point?

• 1Solidarity

Pops

Aren't they all gaping asshole threads at this point?

We are all gaping assholes sweetie. There's money to be made. Add to the convo. Some stonks are trading at bk levels, others are leveraged to the hilt and implode overnight. This is when you can make some real money. The swings are big. The ETF Passive Age is ending. When people panic from these things they are forced to sell everything indiscriminately. They have to maintain their balance.

The proverbial baby with the bath water.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Someone please tell me what is up with Verizon?? Its not gone through the wild swings most others have, its still sitting near a 52 week low though. A friend tells me its a solid company with solid financials. Why does it seems to be the only stock on my watch list to remain in the red day to day to day? Thanks

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Federal government requested states not release unemployment numbers until this Thursday. Thursday may be a wild day.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For anyone feeling bad about their fund's preformance, go have a look at how leverage is preforming. Pretty much every one of those you can click on and see a MASSIVE crater. Extreme volatility is not ideal for playing with leverage. There's a lot of rich people who aint so rich no more.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Federal government requested states not release unemployment numbers until this Thursday. Thursday may be a wild day.

"We need time to shift our portfolios before the next biggest single day drop in market history!"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users