Investing General Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
We're heading to 400 SPY at least, IMO. Maybe even 380 like @Blazin has talked about.

I'm fine with that if it happens. I missed most of the 2020 chasm by trying to time the bottom too perfectly. If/when we recover I'm going to be up something like 10% over having done the "correct" long-term thing and stayed the course, and that's plenty enough for me. "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good," etc.

Last edited:

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think we still have a few stars to fall in all of this. Teslas valuation is still insane for example. Will be an interesting run with a negative savings rate retail will be pulling money from the markets and housing / rent / gas sucking up more and more income. I still think this is a nominal bull market unless employment/wage growth dips suddenly.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
And we get a massive pump in power hour as soon as I posted that almost. Channeling my inner Cramer I guess :I'm Fine:

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think we still have a few stars to fall in all of this. Teslas valuation is still insane for example. Will be an interesting run with a negative savings rate retail will be pulling money from the markets and housing / rent / gas sucking up more and more income. I still think this is a nominal bull market unless employment/wage growth dips suddenly.
The cult of Elon > market fundamentals. Never bet against TSLA.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
With the market going south the way it has, it's still dumb to see AMC and GME where they're at, but we're still in clown world I guess

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nasdaq futures "rippin'" as the kids say these days.
1651544910712.png

• 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The cult of Elon > market fundamentals. Never bet against TSLA.
Cultish was aside, I’m curious how your thoughts on Tesla may have changed over the past year given their growth and your ownership of a Model X.

Also, general question for everyone, which cult is worse? Apple or Tesla?

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Cultish was aside, I’m curious how your thoughts on Tesla may have changed over the past year given their growth and your ownership of a Model X.

Tesla, hands down. Fucking unbearable.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know anything about Vanguard funds? These are my options through work -

1651555537746.png

1651555622552.png

I've never really looked at this before recently, just started getting interested in my future at the ripe old age of 42.

Right now, my plan has everything I contribute going to "Target Retirement 2045", but I'm wondering if I should move everything over to "Growth Index Admiral" or "500 Index Admiral" (I'm guessing that's similar to the S&P 500?) which looks like they both lose, but also gain more in the long term. Anyone have any wisdom and insight here?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
VTSAX or VFIAX, and add VWIGX if you want any international exposure.

My entire portfolio is in VTSAX.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Almost never see the fucking things, but by god they have a dozen recharge stations where trucks can park in the local shopping center.
It really is geographical. I see them everywhere here in NY and also a fuckton of them in FL

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
On this page alone we have a couple people asking what index to buy and not one discussion of the timing?

Waiting a week or so could add 5% to your portfolio but we don't like to talk about that kind of patience :)

I'm sure someone will deliver a stern lecture about not "trying to time the market". I'm just saying, just because a person gets an opportunity to buy stocks today, doesnt mean today is the right day to buy that stock. Its a kind of impatience that we all fall victim to, but I don't often see it discussed.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because the truth is, you never know where the bottom is. We could have put it in yesterday and never see this price again.. or, we could add 5% lower and drop another 10% further after that.

I stated yesterday to someone asking about their annual IRA contribution that the SPY 410 level was solid to buy against. If you still wanted to try and wait out a better price, it doesnt have to be an all or nothing entry. Split half at that 410 yesterday and wait to see what comes out of the Fed notes tomorrow. Maybe we spike lower, or .. maybe the bad news gets out of the way and the market looks to try and rally.

It is all speculation.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I have traded it a few times for profit. I own a single share for "solidarity".

My views on the company have changed over the years. Being an owner, i watch more videos of the factories and understand more about the products. The product, while they still have little idiosyncrasies and flaws, each model year is getting better as the production processes improve. I own a manufacturing company and I am fucking green with envy watching his assembly lines. As long as Musk can maintain tech advantage in batteries while improving his manufacturing margins the company can continue to move forward.

F, GM, VW etc all follow the same mode. They mass produce similar vehicles at relatively low margin and have to sell them to distributors at discount. Musk's model of eliminating the dealer network lets TSLA charge more per unit sold. The brand's following is strong, and its hard to understand until you drive one. I own a Model X, which is the current apex predator of EVs and it truly is a joy to drive. It is hard to put into words how amazing a ride the car gives with 4 wheel computer controlled air suspension and the computer controlled body height adjustments.

ps... Buying a TSLA is the best auto purchase experience you will have. No sales people get commissions. I did my sale (including trade in) online and was done in about 20 minutes. This includes financing and e-signing the docs. No price haggling, no bait and switch, no "let me have my guys evaluate your trade while we talk", no "let me speak to my manager". Nada. When my car arrived they sent me a text and i drove to the shop, they took my BMW keys, and gave me my keys and a tour of the vehicle. Boom, done.

I sort of regret not adding to my token share when it dipped into the $700s. At some point I will probably make TSLA a full holding in my portfolio.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone know anything about Vanguard funds? These are my options through work -

View attachment 410709
View attachment 410710

I've never really looked at this before recently, just started getting interested in my future at the ripe old age of 42.

Right now, my plan has everything I contribute going to "Target Retirement 2045", but I'm wondering if I should move everything over to "Growth Index Admiral" or "500 Index Admiral" (I'm guessing that's similar to the S&P 500?) which looks like they both lose, but also gain more in the long term. Anyone have any wisdom and insight here?
The Admirals are solid. This is the S&P 500 index...

1651582840170.png

ps.. Target retirement funds tend to suck dick. Buy the S&P 500 and just let it run for 40 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user