Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
META trashes another 10k jobs and the stock runs up 7%. At some point do you think Big Tech CEOs will figure out the secret regular CEOs have known for a century?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
INTC finished over $28.

No Idea Axe GIF by Billions

• 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
META trashes another 10k jobs and the stock runs up 7%. At some point do you think Big Tech CEOs will figure out the secret regular CEOs have known for a century?
Tech companies always used to churn the bottom 5-10% of their roster every year via stack-ranking, or a similar process. But for the 3 years of the pandemic, they did not, and instead increased hiring. But they definitely kept tabs on who wasn't adjusting to WFH or adapting to the market that whole time. A whole lot of these layoffs are just the market equivalent of 'virtue signallling'; they will hire back to these numbers within 1 year. They're just doing 3+ years worth of stack-rank cuts all at once in an effort to look like they're being efficient.

1678840020637.png

(This graph does not include any layoffs in the past 2 weeks.)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Maybe they look at twitter and realize how much dead weight they have been carrying in the life of luxury.

Actually pretty sure that's not it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
iirc, the Saudis already have a 9.8% or so stake. They cited that if their ownership exceeds 10%, a bunch of regulatory rules kick in and they don't want any of that.

(Could be a convenient excuse as well, but its certainly plausible from a risk standpoint)

*edit* just read the same in the article you linked.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And, down we go again. Credit Suisse in the spotlight again. (This bank has been mired in issues for some time).

CS has been a dead man walking for months. Funny how this suddenly is news again.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Closed out the C puts I wrote yesterday. 73% profit. Most likely I could have road them to expiry for a penny, but I'm not greedy and who the fuck knows what Janet Powell is gonna do. Imma take my shekels off the table and be happy.
Pigs get fat; Hogs get slaughtered. Don't be a hog.

1678883386025.png

Borzak

I guess Europe was really expect SA to jump in and buy more of Credit Suisse. I watched the guy in the government in SA on bloomberg and he flat said if we upped to 10 % we get into all sorts of regulatory stuff we don't want to. Then the host on the show said he was really shaking things up the way he didn't make it more clear. Seemed super obvious to me, he may have had other reasons but those were the ones he mentioned and they slammed him for it.

Borzak

More deposits weren't going to help SVB. Deposits count as a debt on the balance sheet I think. They needed something more on the asset side to meet the regulatory demands of asset/debt ratio after their bond holdings were tanking from rising interest rates. Then when word got out .....

I know on watching some market news everyone so far has big on "Not a liquidity problem" in Europe, over and over. Pretty sure they've been circling the drain for more than a year.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Except the AI Chatbot wont make financial predictions. I have tried.
You can get around most restrictions with the right prompts. Fictional character, etc.

I just don't see how it could be useful since it hasnt seen any data since 2021. I wonder, are people feeding it the SPY data series as part of the question or something? A prediction of crash timing without knowing today's price seems kinda useless, even if stock market prediction were something a LLM could really do.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep, pretty easy to jailbreak current AI but I agree it wouldn't be helpful with gpt 3. Gpt 4 or Bing however...