Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Two monitors is a frivolous luxury. It has literally no actual benefit for a person competent to operate a computer (alt-tab makes this pointless). But at least a person could argue, (and they do, retardedly), that it "makes things easier" because they can read things off one screen then type something on the other, or some variation on this retarded idea.

I've got two monitors, largely for the reason descrived above -- hell, the old one still works so why get rid of it. Its pretty much useless, and the second one is off most of the day. I occasionally look at it. But its frivolous, not really a useful thing.

Cause heres the thing. A human being can never, ever, ever multitask. You are only ever looking at or interacting with a single monitor. Ever. There are no exceptions (except see below)

Having a wall of multiple monitors, if you're not multiboxing for the highest serverwide burst dps, is so fucking insanely dumb it physically hurts me that there are people who not only do it but then post it to the internet as if it was a source of pride rather than something to be mocked.

Guys check out my new rig, I have 26 keyboards, one for each letter of the alphabet. Fucking uber
This is possibly the dumbest post I’ve seen in a while in this thread. If you think pro traders are out there alt-tabbing, you’re impossibly ignorant.

I’ve got 4x 27” monitors and I’ve been itching for another two. I’ve an entire monitor dedicated to macro charts (SPY, TICK, QQQ, US02Y/10Y, USO, etc). Another monitor with what I am trading broken into multiple timeframes, with a couple private trade room chats scrolling on the side. Another monitor scrolling TradetheNews feed and squawk, typically with Bloomberg or CNBC muted in the background, as well as a Bookmap chart. The final screen entirely dedicated to the 3 brokers I am using. (Lightspeed for quick Daytrades, ToS for swings and options, Fidelity ATP for IRA / 401k trading.

There are far crazier setups out there than mine.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Know nothing about trading. Assume it's so they can keep an eye on multiple things at once with nothing more than a glance. Same as operator consoles all on one screen they can keep an eye on temp, pressure, flow etc..without looking across the room or alt tabbing out. Also guessing at times things happen fast. You snooze you lose as they say.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When I worked in a NOC I definitely could have used infinite screens.

Alarm dashboards for 3 different monitoring platforms monitoring over two hundred thousand devices across over 2000 customers.
Ticket system.
Credentials vault.
Documentation
The device I'm actually logged into.

911/public safety dispatch stations have 4+ monitors too. I used to support the infrastructure that ran them, pretty crazy stuff to tie everything together.

1681084532849.png

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I honestly am having issues wrapping my head around some of these numbers. How can these banks have percentages of uninsured deposits this high?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is possibly the dumbest post I’ve seen in a while in this thread. If you think pro traders are out there alt-tabbing, you’re impossibly ignorant.

I’ve got 4x 27” monitors and I’ve been itching for another two. I’ve an entire monitor dedicated to macro charts (SPY, TICK, QQQ, US02Y/10Y, USO, etc). Another monitor with what I am trading broken into multiple timeframes, with a couple private trade room chats scrolling on the side. Another monitor scrolling TradetheNews feed and squawk, typically with Bloomberg or CNBC muted in the background, as well as a Bookmap chart. The final screen entirely dedicated to the 3 brokers I am using. (Lightspeed for quick Daytrades, ToS for swings and options, Fidelity ATP for IRA / 401k trading.

Well, I suppose if the question had been "can people find things to put on multiple monitors at once?" your post would have sure showed me

all of that. and you're only ever looking at one of them at a time, or interacting with one of them at a time. One. ever.

Its alright man, we all own shit that doesnt actually make any practical difference in our lives. I greatly prefer a certain style of mouse and consider everyone who doesnt use it to be more or less non sentient. I just don't try to pretend its giving me some kind of edge. I just like it, so I use it.

• 2Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly am having issues wrapping my head around some of these numbers. How can these banks have percentages of uninsured deposits this high?

Trillions in new money printed over the last three years. What, you think the welfare class got most of that?

And corporations can only do so much stock buybacks. They're probably shoving it in banks because what the fuck else do you do with it?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Bruce Campbell Hello GIF

• 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any thoughts on one starting to accumulate UNG? I recall someone here mentioning natural gas. This ETF has completely fallen off a cliff. And there's no way it'll remain this low forever. Unless I'm missing something about things in natural gas land?

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
And you're only ever looking at one of them at a time, or interacting with one of them at a time. One. ever.

As people have been trying to tell you, the point of the extra monitors is not multitasking but to reduce the cost of switching your attention. Alt tabbing and finding the window you want 200 times an hour gets old with a quickness. Even if it only takes you one second that's a big productivity loss in aggregate.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Does it though? Didn't oil go negative?
Do you wish you would've bought oil when it went negative?

UNG is the United States Natural Gas Fund, an ETF. I'm speaking about a long-term hold. Sure, it could certainly go lower but I'd just add more when I can. If this was a single company, I would avoid it.

UNG.jpg

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you wish you would've bought oil when it went negative?
UNG is the United States Natural Gas Fund, an ETF. I'm speaking about a long-term hold. Sure, it could certainly go lower but I'd just add more when I can. If this was a single company, I would avoid it.

View attachment 468383

On no chart does this look attractive. 1 year, 5 year, and all time all show it in a down trend

ShakyJake

<Donor>
On no chart does this look attractive. 1 year, 5 year, and all time all show it in a down trend
I agree, but I'm trying to understand "why". I would think, long-term wise, most energy plays should be reasonably safe. Especially as investors switch to commodities.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because we live in a world where they're trying to ban gas stoves. Once that's complete, they'll ban gas heaters/boilers, etc etc.

• 1Let's Go Brandon!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I agree, but I'm trying to understand "why". I would think, long-term wise, most energy plays should be reasonably safe. Especially as investors switch to commodities.
Because the world has insane amounts of natural gas reserves and we keep finding more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410_181748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410_181748_Samsung Internet.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1Like