Investing General Discussion

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Question to people that are gold/silver/other buyers.

There is a pretty large premium on some of the pure gold/silver/other coins/bars I see on the buying sites. What is the best way to choose brand when buying? Is there a reason to always buy certain brands or from certain countries?

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>

There is a pretty large premium on some of the pure gold/silver/other coins/bars I see on the buying sites. What is the best way to choose brand when buying? Is there a reason to always buy certain brands or from certain countries?
Www.findbullionprices.com if you don't feel like leaving your couch. Just go with the cheapest, finest you can find. Ultimately, you're always going to get a lower premium with volume, but nowadays that's becoming cost prohibitive to reach those thresholds.

You can always find a local bullion dealer or coin shop that may be able to buy better for you if you set up a deal. Also, you can attend a coin show. Most states have a regular shows where you can see it in person and probably get the lowest premium, since you're right there in their face. Cash is king for this, most bullion dealers don't want to fuck with credit cards and PayPal type entities.

In the vein of the thread, you'll need to determine why you're buying so you can choose a product. There is something to be said for smaller fractional gold or pellets that would be more readily tradable for small goods in a shtf scenario. Typically you will get a better premium with larger size bars/coins/whatever.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Www.findbullionprices.com if you don't feel like leaving your couch. Just go with the cheapest, finest you can find. Ultimately, you're always going to get a lower premium with volume, but nowadays that's becoming cost prohibitive to reach those thresholds.

You can always find a local bullion dealer or coin shop that may be able to buy better for you if you set up a deal. Also, you can attend a coin show. Most states have a regular shows where you can see it in person and probably get the lowest premium, since you're right there in their face. Cash is king for this, most bullion dealers don't want to fuck with credit cards and PayPal type entities.

In the vein of the thread, you'll need to determine why you're buying so you can choose a product. There is something to be said for smaller fractional gold or pellets that would be more readily tradable for small goods in a shtf scenario. Typically you will get a better premium with larger size bars/coins/whatever.
One of the things deterring me from putting more into metals is that the premiums are getting stupid. Even if you go to that site and search, for instance, for the best deal on a 1oz silver coin it will be at something to the tune of a 17% dealer premium. That means it's a 17% markup from the current silver price and silver would have to go up AT LEAST that much for you to see that investment pay even money later.

Burns

One of the things deterring me from putting more into metals is that the premiums are getting stupid. Even if you go to that site and search, for instance, for the best deal on a 1oz silver coin it will be at something to the tune of a 17% deal premium. That means it's a 17% markup from the current silver price and silver would have to go up AT LEAST that much for you to see that investment pay even money later.
Yarp. It's a huge pain in the ass to get metal. IMO it should only be used as a long term hold against inflation. On a 15+ year timeline, you should see a 17%+ rise, or at the very least get close to it, if by some miracle there is very little inflation. Hedges aren't really meant to be super profitable.

If SHTF, gold is only really useful for smuggling it with you, to have something to start a new life with (bugout bag), if you can somehow manage to escape the current hell hole you have found yourself in. If the US falls, I doubt there will be many places to go, unless you have a plane. Have read stories of Vietnamese boat people (fall of Saigon) hammering gold out into a thin sheets and wrapping it around their body. (1975 NYT article on gold being used in refuge camps)

There is a FAQ from a guy that survived the siege of Sarajevo for a real look at SHTF, and I don't remember him saying shit about gold. It was all barter between skills and goods.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wait it is a dogshit report.

Largest quarterly loss ever.
1682653621818.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Right now is a bad time to be buying silver. Some rededitors are trying to short squeeze the comex. That's not going to happen as the smallest futures you can buy is 100oz. Very few are going to take delivery of 100oz of silver, or $125k of silver.

Ampex had a video on the futility of the squeeze just today. Most likely outcome is some retailers have some of their supply dwindled and spot go up.

The largest use of silver is industrial and demand hasn't changed for industrial.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Right now is a bad time to be buying silver. Some rededitors are trying to short squeeze the comex. That's not going to happen as the smallest futures you can buy is 100oz. Very few are going to take delivery of 100oz of silver, or $125k of silver.

Ampex had a video on the futility of the squeeze just today. Most likely outcome is some retailers have some of their supply dwindled and spot go up.

The largest use of silver is industrial and demand hasn't changed for industrial.

I am old enough to remember the Hunt brothers.

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Today is one of those days where I really have no sense of what the market is going to do. On these days I tend to do nothing.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10:31 [FRC] David Faber: Focus seems to be on FDIC solution that will involve receivership - CNBC
- Banks are being asked for their best bids
- Still hoping for market based solution, but still feeling less likely

Who thought the banking drama was actually over?

FRC multi halt down -30%

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Think this is the downside of index investing finally rearing its head.

More and more money just gets consolidated into the top as those at the bottom shed more market cap.
Its why you see me trimming AAPL, MSFT etc now and again. My number of individual shares of AAPL/MSFT have gotten pretty low at this point as their indexes weights continue to rise.

• 1Like