Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems TradingView is offering discounts on charts again. Can't say enough great things about these. Black Friday has the best offers, but here's a darn good deal too.

1687797571630.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Record retention standards fucking blow. Probably cost less than the manpower cost to set it all up back then.
Compliance with this stuff can be shockingly hard for large and small organizations, and is a major force driving enterprises to cloud services.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On June 22nd, Lordstown Motors founder and CEO Stephen Burns has sold his entire stake in the electric-vehicle maker for $3.85 mil
Today on June 27th the company filed for bankruptcy.

Got to love being the first out the door with the golden parachute.

• 2Worf
  • 2Rustled
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 4 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What are some resources I can use to start trying to understand which sector the market might cycle to next?

• 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Bought some T today for my roth account. It's at a 10 year low (or thereabouts) and the dividend is 7% right now. That beats the money market interest rate, and it might have some room to go up a little? Hard to say. The idea though is to just let it sit and hopefully not go down much and keep getting that 7%.

I suppose if Janet Powell jacks interest rates up to this (7%) level in a few years I'll look back at this post and shake my head? But unless T is in for even more moves down I don't see much downside risk to buying right here.

INB4 Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes shows me some info that shows T is a sinking ship...
:I'm Fine:

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bought some T today for my roth account. It's at a 10 year low (or thereabouts) and the dividend is 7% right now. That beats the money market interest rate, and it might have some room to go up a little? Hard to say. The idea though is to just let it sit and hopefully not go down much and keep getting that 7%.

I suppose if Janet Powell jacks interest rates up to this (7%) level in a few years I'll look back at this post and shake my head? But unless T is in for even more moves down I don't see much downside risk to buying right here.

INB4 Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes shows me some info that shows T is a sinking ship...
:I'm Fine:
If there is one company I know, its T. Its a shitshow on the management side from level 1's all the way to the C-Suite. BUT... It just makes money in spite of its incompetence. Its dominant share of the cellphone market helps.

If you can buy in lots of 100 shares you can make extra pennies selling covered calls on the shares on the regular. It works. I have been waiting for it to sink sub $15 before grabbing some again.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
On June 22nd, Lordstown Motors founder and CEO Stephen Burns has sold his entire stake in the electric-vehicle maker for $3.85 mil
Today on June 27th the company filed for bankruptcy.

Got to love being the first out the door with the golden parachute.
Hopefully the SEC goes looking. Also, I am sure the lawsuits will be being filed before the end of the day.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What are some resources I can use to start trying to understand which sector the market might cycle to next?
I am sure there are complex ways to do this, but a simple thing you can do is just make a watchlist of the 11 sector SPDR ETFs. The ones near 52-lows are out of favor and the ones near 52-highs are in favor. Use charts and just keep an eye on them for the changes in price and volume.

1687888092228.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just finished up with clients and look to see we are up strong today. Sure, why not.

No Idea Idk GIF by Muppet Wiki
Consumers maxxing out credit cards is bullish.

Also, uhh oh;

And lol;

• 4Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also how is he going to ban a Taiwan company from selling chips to China? lol
I many patents and trade secrets does tsmc have for high performance GPUs?

That all belongs to amd and nvidia. If they cant sell theres no one to fill the void.
Yeah, Beijing Joe is gonna ban Hi-Tech chips to China.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF
They are going anti china, in the most round about and often slow ways.

For example we just sent one of out carriers for a port call in vietnam.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK. I am pretty sure I asked this in here once a long time ago, but I seem to be a special combination of lazy and stupid that seems to prevent me from finding the answers and this is an "investment 101" style question but one I have always wondered about...

When an organization (like an investment firm, or an investment bank, or whatever) initiates coverage or sets a "price target" for a stock, what time frame is it they think the stock will reach that target in?
  • End of the calendar year?
  • End of that company's fiscal year?
  • End of the company's NEXT fiscal year?
  • One year from date of target set?
  • Some other equally crazy number?
Please take mercy on me and remember I am just a simple caveman who some of the trolls on FOH found in a block of ice and thawed out, your fancy talk of derivatives and options trading scare and confuse me.....

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
When an organization initiates coverage or sets a "price target" for a stock, what time frame is it they think the stock will reach that target in?

First rule of forecasting - never give a number and a date at the same time.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
OK. I am pretty sure I asked this in here once a long time ago, but I seem to be a special combination of lazy and stupid that seems to prevent me from finding the answers and this is an "investment 101" style question but one I have always wondered about...

When an organization (like an investment firm, or an investment bank, or whatever) initiates coverage or sets a "price target" for a stock, what time frame is it they think the stock will reach that target in?
  • End of the calendar year?
  • End of that company's fiscal year?
  • End of the company's NEXT fiscal year?
  • One year from date of target set?
  • Some other equally crazy number?
Please take mercy on me and remember I am just a simple caveman who some of the trolls on FOH found in a block of ice and thawed out, your fancy talk of derivatives and options trading scare and confuse me.....
"Usually" 12 months.