Investing General Discussion

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I am about to get a ~$25k stonk disbursement from a 4 year RSU plan I have at work. It was really quite generous ($100k/4 years). I also get bonuses there that are considerable. I would rather not say which company it is as I don't want to just outright say exactly where I work. Do I just continue to sit on these RSUs? I also elected for our elective stonk plan which is another 8% of salary into stock and you get to buy at the lowest price in the past 6 months.

Do I just sit on this? The only other two things I want with my money lately is some property in the mountains (got a town scoped out just don't know when to buy) and I kinda sorta want a new car just because.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I am about to get a ~$25k stonk disbursement from a 4 year RSU plan I have at work. It was really quite generous ($100k/4 years). I also get bonuses there that are considerable. I would rather not say which company it is as I don't want to just outright say exactly where I work. Do I just continue to sit on these RSUs? I also elected for our elective stonk plan which is another 8% of salary into stock and you get to buy at the lowest price in the past 6 months.

Do I just sit on this? The only other two things I want with my money lately is some property in the mountains (got a town scoped out just don't know when to buy) and I kinda sorta want a new car just because.
I would say sit on them with two caveats. First is do you think the company is solid and will grow. Second is how much of that stock makes up your investments/savings. It's never a good idea to have too much stock in a single company. If so, diversifying that money into an index might make more sense.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I have a similar arrangement and I have been unloading stock to put money towards buying property/rentals.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Not sure if anyone is following this LK-99 room temperature superconductor thing but if its real I suspect stonks are going to moon pretty hard across the board. Pretty big shift in efficiency and overall what is possible. We'll see I guess but something worth being aware of.

This would presumably replace silicone with lead+copper. Bigley cheaper.
LK-99 is a potential room-temperature superconductor with a gray‒black appearance.[2]: 8  It has a hexagonal structure slightly modified from leadapatite, by introducing small amounts of copper.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Put all my money into NVDA you say?
Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule we need a Cathie Wood reaction for the Stonkhouse...

1690900334481.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Tendies
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Do they pay dividends? I had a 3 year 25k a year 75k total rsi disbursement. Sold first lot since they stopped paying dividends. But that initial 6500 dividend was a nice little bonus

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
*IF* it is real.
Give me a scientific paper and I'll give it a read over, but I'm gonna jump in front of the cart here and say it's probably bullshit without looking. At least pipe dream techs like hydrogen powered vehicles actually exist, even if we haven't solved the minor problem of them randomly exploding yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I'm in a very similar situation with my employer. Granted $150k in stock when I was hired around 4 years ago. Company stock price has more than tripled over the last three years. As mentioned in here already , look at what you think your company will do in terms of stock (be as objective and disconnected as you can in that analysis) and it should guide you as to what to do with the stock. For me I'm over 75% vested, and have yet to sell a single share. But also I feel my company has the legs for another 20% in share price improvement over the next year, and the general consensus of the market analysts seem to agree with me so far.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Is there a single repeat of this experiment by anyone else? It's all bullshit until other people not in Asia replicate it.
Nothing verified no. Anecdotes of people recreating in their kitchen (lol) but nothing real yet. Its only been a few days.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Interesting. Chemistry was not my strong class, so a bit of that wooshed over my head. To dumb it down, they were evaluating why the experimental crystal exhibited unusual characteristics related to superconductivity, and suggesting how you could make alternative similar compounds that may improve results. That said, They don't really claim its superconductive, just that it exhibits some properties of superconductivity outside of where you might normally expect it.

Additionally, to address Palum's comment, They were repeating someone else's experiment and expanding upon it, so somewhat an iterative a paper.

Nothing struck my bullshit meter, but as usual, I also think that people reading it are blowing the paper out of proportion if they are making superconductor claims. The researchers just suggest this and some other avenues of research are worthy of exploring and have some promising improvements.

But that said, when it comes to investing, people jump on retarded hype trains no matter how irrational they are, so I wouldn't put much financial weight behind that. *cough* theranos *cough*

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Interesting. Chemistry was not my strong class, so a bit of that wooshed over my head. To dumb it down, they were evaluating why the experimental crystal exhibited unusual characteristics related to superconductivity, and suggesting how you could make alternative similar compounds that may improve results. That said, They don't really claim its superconductive, just that it exhibits some properties of superconductivity outside of where you might normally expect it.

Additionally, to address Palum's comment, They were repeating someone else's experiment and expanding upon it, so somewhat an iterative a paper.

Nothing struck my bullshit meter, but as usual, I also think that people reading it are blowing the paper out of proportion if they are making superconductor claims. The researchers just suggest this and some other avenues of research are worthy of exploring and have some promising improvements.

But that said, when it comes to investing, people jump on retarded hype trains no matter how irrational they are, so I wouldn't put much financial weight behind that. *cough* theranos *cough*
Final derail on this topic. There has allegedly been an independant confirmation from another university. I created a thread in the technology forum to discuss if you'd like, link to a tweet with details there.