Investing General Discussion

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I am happy with my earnings from AMD some of you really dickride that one stock something fierce.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Intel and Nvidia also down. Seems like chipmakers were down across the board
It helps to look upwards beyond individual stocks to look at the market by sectors. S&P500 heat map is great tool for this. "Most times", when a stock is down for "no reason" you can see that the entire sector is down on bad news for one or just bad news for the sector. Semiconductors and chip makers are very susceptible to China trade news. When a good stock is down due to sympathy selling (sector goes down because of a single stock in the sector) there are some times to get a good stock on sale.

I took the opportunity to add some NVDA on the recent softness in the chip makers.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Should we trust Jim Cramer?
Shrug. He has made a whole lot more money that I have in the market. The market is a lot like baseball in that no one succeeds 100% of the time. I listen to lots of people and then make the best decision I can based on all the info.

As for Hertz (which I know some peeps here are holding with a good profit) remember the old adage "pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered". There is nothing wrong with taking profit off the table.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The open looks like some profit taking . Let's see if the buyers of the dip show up.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BIIB trading down around $290. EPS under 10 and earnings in excess of 32$ a share. This might be a good entry point for anyone looking for big established biopharma with a rock solid balance sheet for the long term.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Shrug. He has made a whole lot more money that I have in the market. The market is a lot like baseball in that no one succeeds 100% of the time. I listen to lots of people and then make the best decision I can based on all the info.

As for Hertz (which I know some peeps here are holding with a good profit) remember the old adage "pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered". There is nothing wrong with taking profit off the table.

Yeah depending on how this week goes I might sell off my htz shares. Virtually impossible I don't make some profit off of it at this point for the measly investment I made.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Today's early winners on a down day...
AAPL, NVDA, FB, GOOG, AMZN and MSFT.

Names sound familiar

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like the profit takers finally hit NKLA. Was at 94 in the pre-market and down to 63 this morning.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For those holding HRTZ, if you aren't, consider setting and updating trailing stop orders. If/when it tanks or reverses you can bail out automatically. Maybe use a 10, 15, or 20% stop loss to protect your profits.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For those holding HRTZ, if you aren't, consider setting and updating trailing stop orders. If/when it tanks or reverses you can bail out automatically. Maybe use a 10, 15, or 20% stop loss to protect your profits.

I feel like in today's market insanity your trailing stops need to have a pretty big % to not trigger when you wouldn't want it to.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I really fucked up with NGL this last few months - I've got like $15k sitting in a fidelity account idle and when NGL hit like $2 I knew it was a slam dunk to double, but got sidetracked on some other bullshit and kind of forgot about it. Sure enough, it's sitting at $7 now.

I'm expecting another decent dip and when it does I reckon I'll push that $15k into NGL and wait. Everything is so volatile now, it's hard to gauge anything. PSX was a big win for me though, as was EOG. Thinking of selling both - PSX at $90, EOG not sure.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I sold the rest of my AMD and CI to free up some cash. No idea what to put it in though. Was hoping intel would come down a bit but they’re pretty damn stable.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I flipped some quick puts on NKLA in the last hour. 27% profit. Implied volatility is so high that is making options not worth buying in my opinion.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I sold the rest of my AMD and CI to free up some cash. No idea what to put it in though. Was hoping intel would come down a bit but they’re pretty damn stable.
The vast majority of easy money has been made. Its tough finding good value. For a lot of companies its about tempering expectations for returns and grabbing stuff on a dip. The NVDA dip i just bought is up 3%. Its like having to work out there now. 😀

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The vast majority of easy money has been made. Its tough finding good value. For a lot of companies its about tempering expectations for returns and grabbing stuff on a dip. The NVDA dip i just bought is up 3%. Its like having to work out there now. 😀

Yeah. I’ll probably just dump it in BA or INTC and sit on it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah. I’ll probably just dump it in BA or INTC and sit on it.
Here are some other options. <insert due diligence boilerplate here>

GD - EPS over $11. Beta is 0.93. Div yield around 2.7% and safe. EBITDA over 5 billion. 1b cash on hand and long term debt around 10b. 2b in free cash flow.

JNJ - Great balance sheet and still has some room to run up based on analysts estimates. Earnings over 6$. It does have the asbestos baby powder thing hanging over its head but it also has possible Coronachan meds to counter balance.

WMT - solid balance sheet. Earnings over 5$. If we come down to only 2 retailers left, it will be the one facing off against AMZN.

BIIB/AMGN - they are kind of like book ends. The two big biopharmas. Earnings are double digits (BIIB over 30$). AMGN pays a dividend. Both probably have a good 10-15% upside.

Just a couple of alternatives you might want to consider. My big concern is that BA never gets the Max to fly again. Especially if Trump loses and a more liberal administration plays hard ball with FAA/NTSB approval