Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Problem with that logic is always you would have always taken profits a long time ago. I had FB at $28 per , sold at 40% profit.. then again at $90 and sold for another 30% profit.. it’s worth $236 today. I doubt many would have held for the whole duration.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Problem with that logic is always you would have always taken profits a long time ago. I had FB at $28 per , sold at 40% profit.. then again at $90 and sold for another 30% profit.. it’s worth $236 today. I doubt many would have held for the whole duration.
Its really hard to HODL. At a certain point you look at it and go "hmm thats a lot of profits on the table".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One to look at in I think July is the Snowflake Inc IPO. I will most likely be buying in on that one.

Snowflake is a standalone cloud SAAS database that is a competitor the Amazon AWS Redshift product and the Google Cloud Bigquery product. I've been using it for a year or so everyday. Of all the cloud database products out there it is definitely the superior one. Most companies defer to whatever is in AWS but Snowflake is quite the rockstar at cranking out features and flexibility with the product. Which is something that AWS and Google don't do in the data-focused infrastructure context.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
One to look at in I think July is the Snowflake Inc IPO. I will most likely be buying in on that one.

Snowflake is a standalone cloud SAAS database that is a competitor the Amazon AWS Redshift product and the Google Cloud Bigquery product. I've been using it for a year or so everyday. Of all the cloud database products out there it is definitely the superior one. Most companies defer to whatever is in AWS but Snowflake is quite the rockstar at cranking out features and flexibility with the product. Which is something that AWS and Google don't do in the data-focused infrastructure context.
Does it have anything proprietary? Something they own that makes them cool that no one can do or copy without getting sued?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Does it have anything proprietary? Something they own that makes them cool that no one can do or copy without getting sued?

They fit well in the market space despite being a relational DB SAAS with big competitors. It's superiority is in its flexibility. When I say it was many more features its not like, "oh that's cool" but actual practical features that AWS and Google Cloud don't have.

Not really sure how to get into this without sounding like too esoteric or anything but its part of the design shift from traditional ETL (Extract Transform Load) to the superior (Extract Load Transform) that's been coming around for a number of years. You can ETL all of your data into it fairly cheaply and cut out middle man data loading services like Fivetran (IPO next year) or Segment if you meet a few requirements. And you don't need to use expensive ETL design tools like IBM InfoSphere/Datastage and stuff like that.
  1. Easy and cheap ETL if you meet a few requirements.
    1. Ex. What Segment would charge you $1M to load to your databases in a year will cost you like $10-20k with just using Snowflake's features.
  2. Scalability and Performance - It has much better scaling of processing power compared to Redshift.
  3. Constant addition of features that other products don't have.
Since we moved from Redshift its been quite nice to work with it. $40B IPO or something will be nice to get a small position on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So today is the Jay Powell sale day on Wallstreet. Fucker is a Wallstreet guy by trade, there is no "i didnt known my words would impact the market". So if you have some cash on the side, you can find some quality companies on sale today. Tech/Big Tech taking it the least, financials/industrials/energy getting crushed today. Oh and its a bloodbath in airlines/cruise lines.

VIX back up over 30.

Fucking Powell.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Hmmm.. looks like markets are getting lively again. Honestly the March crash has made me into kind of a junkie. I can't get that excited unless it's limit down.

Wonder if this gets bought up.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Two days ago I wanted to sell off everything when I hit 20% up for the year. Lol

But I suck at buying back in at lows so said fuck it.

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
They fit well in the market space despite being a relational DB SAAS with big competitors. It's superiority is in its flexibility. When I say it was many more features its not like, "oh that's cool" but actual practical features that AWS and Google Cloud don't have.

Not really sure how to get into this without sounding like too esoteric or anything but its part of the design shift from traditional ETL (Extract Transform Load) to the superior (Extract Load Transform) that's been coming around for a number of years. You can ETL all of your data into it fairly cheaply and cut out middle man data loading services like Fivetran (IPO next year) or Segment if you meet a few requirements. And you don't need to use expensive ETL design tools like IBM InfoSphere/Datastage and stuff like that.
  1. Easy and cheap ETL if you meet a few requirements.
    1. Ex. What Segment would charge you $1M to load to your databases in a year will cost you like $10-20k with just using Snowflake's features.

There is huge opportunity for disruption in the ETL space, but after working with a couple cheap/open-source ETL tools, I'm a little skeptical of them. Good ETL applications are expensive as hell, but worth it. I would say even necessary.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm.. looks like markets are getting lively again. Honestly the March crash has made me into kind of a junkie. I can't get that excited unless it's limit down.

Wonder if this gets bought up.

It will. The robin hooders I know are getting their wallets out right now.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There is huge opportunity for disruption in the ETL space, but after working with a couple cheap/open-source ETL tools, I'm a little skeptical of them. Good ETL applications are expensive as hell, but worth it. I would say even necessary.

You mean a tool like Datastage or a service like stitch?

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
It will. The robin hooders I know are getting their wallets out right now.

Just taking a quick look, it looks like today is screw the high alpha trader day, and Robin Hood traders are about to get pantsed

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
You mean a tool like Datastage or a service like stitch?

I'm comparing open source tools like Pentaho/Talend to high-end enterprise tools like Informatica/Ab Initio. Using cheaper tools incurs a lot of tech debt because they tend to be kind of kludgy compared to the mainstream enterprise stuff. That's been my experience anyway, and I've always recommended just paying the ridiculous license fees. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I was regretting not putting more $ in, looks like some buying opportunities!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm comparing open source tools like Pentaho/Talend to high-end enterprise tools like Informatica/Ab Initio. Using cheaper tools incurs a lot of tech debt because they tend to be kind of kludgy compared to the mainstream enterprise stuff. That's been my experience anyway, and I've always recommended just paying the ridiculous license fees. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I built out an etl solution this year at my company that saved us several million in ETL fees handling our product data.

I did it with nothing but snowflakes features and python. So I am pretty optimistic about what they offer. We're kind of a smaller company though at $200M revenue for our product.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I built out an etl solution this year at my company that saved us several million in ETL fees handling our product data.

I did it with nothing but snowflakes features and python. So I am pretty optimistic about what they offer. We're kind of a smaller company though at $200M revenue for our product.

Did you get a free company pen or something for the millions in savings you gave them at least?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Took profits too early last week, but buying back in today for another round. XOM and DAL all the way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Pre-Market my portfolio was -18% now it's -8% in the 20 mins since Market open
I have no idea what to think.
Can easily see another dip coming, can also see this going green by Market Close.

• 1Like