Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Maybe they don't think Amazon will be competitive and SpaceX will cash the checks until they fail. Starlink has first mover advantage and will always gets launches at cost.
I have been reliably told on this board by "smart" people that first mover advantage isn't a real thing.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Maybe they don't think Amazon will be competitive and SpaceX will cash the checks until they fail. Starlink has first mover advantage and will always gets launches at cost.
Launches for free. I guarantee musk has other people subsidize his launches.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
IWM update I'm currently out. It's not materially below my exit at this point. Wanting to watch for a signal to get long again for another leg. Preferred scenario is to have a little greater overall market weakness and for IWM to hold the 200d then re enter for a move into the ~198 range.

Last edited:
  • 3Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
O
I think they just had their panties twisted about how you phrased it and that it only applies to extremely specific scenarios.
Film Whatever GIF

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
IWM update I'm currently out. It's not materially below my exit at this point. Wanting to watch for a signal to get long again for another leg. Preferred scenario is to have a little greater overall market weakness and for IWM to hold the 200d then re enter for a move into the ~198 range.

How do you pick your exit? You picked the entry pretty spot on and we broke through the trough, but haven't tested upward resistance?

If I apply my general rules we're kind of in no mans land. I usually buy when we're below the 100/200 day and sell when we're testing upward resistance, but it's not there yet and you're out. I'd be interested in seeing what you look for in the technicals.

1701810488583.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
How do you pick your exit? You picked the entry pretty spot on and we broke through the trough, but haven't tested upward resistance?

If I apply my general rules we're kind of in no mans land. I usually buy when we're below the 100/200 day and sell when we're testing upward resistance, but it's not there yet and you're out. I'd be interested in seeing what you look for in the technicals.

View attachment 503123
I make decisions with the weight of the evidence not any one tech indicator. I see no issue with someone trading the larger move all as one trade, but that is not how I chose to play it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gotcha. I'm curious on your timeline (I hold a good amount of ETHE). Supposedly the Grayscale BTC news is going to drop around 1/8/24. No one knows how it will go, but if a Grayscale BTC ETF gets approved in Jan, presumably all the Grayscale crypto trusts will see an increase. Again, they could delay the decision or deny Grayscale the etf, but if they don't you could be selling right before a pop and then buying back afterwards. Just trying to get a read on your decision making. Sounds like in your case you are primarily concerned about a tax writeoff.
I think selling into the hype is the play here. When the ETF does get approved, I think people are going to sell the news very very hard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think selling into the hype is the play here. When the ETF does get approved, I think people are going to sell the news very very hard.

I've been thinking of selling 50% of my ETHE and GBTC in late December to take profits.

If they drop precipitously after ETF approval (or denial or delay) in early Jan, then I'll be glad I got halfway out.

If it goes up instead, I can always buy back and lose out on some gains but still be happy because I'm getting gains.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
This one is boggling my mind a tiny bit as we know Elon really doesn't like Bezos and Amazon. Why would they partner to help them launch a competitor to Starlink? When Starlink is close to the only viable game in town for what they provide....
I’m a bit surprised they helped them. Spacex had a company who was competing with their rideshare business but also was using SpaceX as their prime launch platform.

Then SpaceX banned them as a customer. A year later the company basically folded

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All those calls I wrote expiring next Friday sitting about 1% below the strike. I cut this one close it appears.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Market weakening but it's rather meaningless if we can't break out of this 10 day range we have been in. I would say odds are increasing we are about to lose this level.

Strong reversal in IWM marking short term top, so far pretty much what I layed out I was looking for, just need to see how it plays out through friday.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
having to buy them back isn't optimal but probably easier then dealing with re entering a position if it came to that. Did you get a buck for them or something less?
SPLG sells for a fraction of SPY. If I normalized it to SPY I got about $1.55 per. That being said I'm gonna let them take them if it happens. All the cash will make me 5% in the core position until I can re-enter. I don't see a huge ramp into the end of the year. If I'm wrong then I lose out.

i am also banking on the blackout period for buy backs beginning on Monday.