Investing General Discussion

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
SPACEX will make Elon more money than Tesla ever did. Just give it time.

Goddamn I can't wait for Elon to put the final fucking nail in the coffin of the boomer ass cable companies. Internet service and old fucks are the only thing keeping them afloat. And they can't survive on old bastards alone.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Commercial real estate in the form of office space is a liability. HOWEVER! Commercial spaces that are better for other things can be good. Industrial zoned real estate is generally a better bet these days IMO. Also, look around for mini-storage property. For whatever reason, people need a place to store their random crap, and the cost of upkeep and construction for these building types is relatively minimal. You need fencing and some form of security, but that's pretty much it. Another one along those lines is RV parking facilities. You can get by with covered parking (carports, but for RV's) and you just need a good bit of space, paving, and fencing/security. Huge returns relative to what it costs to build.

Caveats are that even industrial/warehouse space needs tenants, same with RV parking. So if the economy does take a massive dump as many are predicting, you can likely get some turnover in your tenants and finding new ones may be a challenge. Vacancies will kill you if you're doing all this stuff via bank loans.
My next door neighbor just bought a storage property. From the sounds of it nothing absolutely huge. I think it’s a small self storage type facility. It seems like a great investment on paper.

Yeah industrial parks seem pretty decent. I think I like the idea of self storage better - less potential customer interaction. Maybe the best would be cemeteries. I’ve heard there’s good money there.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Considering how often self storage and storage sites in general pop up they must be printing money.

Like 15 self storage buildings have popped up in my area in like 18 months.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
My next door neighbor just bought a storage property. From the sounds of it nothing absolutely huge. I think it’s a small self storage type facility. It seems like a great investment on paper.

Yeah industrial parks seem pretty decent. I think I like the idea of self storage better - less potential customer interaction. Maybe the best would be cemeteries. I’ve heard there’s good money there.
Storage places are a yield play. They have a limited upside (ie.. they max income at 100% occupancy) and they aren't scalable.

That being said, it's a solid investment because at the end the day you still own the land.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Goddamn I can't wait for Elon to put the final fucking nail in the coffin of the boomer ass cable companies. Internet service and old fucks are the only thing keeping them afloat. And they can't survive on old bastards alone.
Your millennial tears are delicious.

sad eric cartman GIF by South Park

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Considering how often self storage and storage sites in general pop up they must be printing money.

Like 15 self storage buildings have popped up in my area in like 18 months.
They do really well in shitty economic times. People downsize and refuse to get rid of their shit.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Storage places are a yield play. They have a limited upside (ie.. they max income at 100% occupancy) and they aren't scalable.

That being said, it's a solid investment because at the end the day you still own the land.
My self storage fees have consistently gone up over almost every year since 2020. Shit sucks. Too lazy to move all that shit and not sure when I’d even break even on the cost to move it to a cheaper facility.

Gotta capitalize on ppls laziness in this scenario it seems.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
My self storage fees have consistently gone up over almost every year since 2020. Shit sucks. Too lazy to move all that shit and not sure when I’d even break even on the cost to move it to a cheaper facility.

Gotta capitalize on ppls laziness in this scenario it seems.
It's not a bad investment at all. You just have to factor in lack of scalability and current interest rates assuming the business has a mortgage.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
It was cheaper for me to buy a bigger house than to put shit in storage.
I'd say it's usually cheaper for most people with storage units to throw all that shit in a dumpster and then rebuy things if they ever happen to need them again. Rare exceptions exist of course (such as seasonal storage of toys), but I probably paid double the value of the entire contents of the unit in the time I had one. The only reason I kept things was sentimental reasons.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
All the serially broke people I know pay for one or more storage units. The ones I've seen are completely full of garbage.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
tfw ETHE stock keeps going up making it harder to farm for losses.

• 1Worf

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Blazin Blazin 's IWM play keeps going up today! Does it stop at 190? Keep on going up til like 199 or so?? Who knows! Keep those stops at the ready...

IWM being up while QQQ is down quite a bit on the day is interesting too. Is more and more money shifting over from tech for the short term higher growth potential in IWM vs QQQ? I believe that was one of the purported underlying drivers for IWM's behavior during all of this.

• 1Mother of God

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Blazin Blazin 's IWM play keeps going up today! Does it stop at 190? Keep on going up til like 199 or so?? Who knows! Keep those stops at the ready...

IWM being up while QQQ is down quite a bit on the day is interesting too. Is more and more money shifting over from tech for the short term higher growth potential in IWM vs QQQ? I believe that was one of the purported underlying drivers for IWM's behavior during all of this.
For some reason I spotted the Q and the number and immediately thought this was a post about mists IQ going going up

• 1Seriously?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Resistance is at ~199 currently. But the trough it's traveling in right now looks more like ~210-215 could be the resistance line. If it gets above that 230 is the previous ATH, beyond that I have no idea what it would take.

I don't even know what it would take to break out of current resistance.

The red lines are my own made up trough. Everything else is resistance and 20, 50, 100, 200 DMA's.

1701729249785.png

Historical view:
1701729388347.png

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm holding until late December and/or selling on any major good news before then. I'll be buying back 32 days later. :)

Gotcha. I'm curious on your timeline (I hold a good amount of ETHE). Supposedly the Grayscale BTC news is going to drop around 1/8/24. No one knows how it will go, but if a Grayscale BTC ETF gets approved in Jan, presumably all the Grayscale crypto trusts will see an increase. Again, they could delay the decision or deny Grayscale the etf, but if they don't you could be selling right before a pop and then buying back afterwards. Just trying to get a read on your decision making. Sounds like in your case you are primarily concerned about a tax writeoff.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
SPACEX will make Elon more money than Tesla ever did. Just give it time.

This one is boggling my mind a tiny bit as we know Elon really doesn't like Bezos and Amazon. Why would they partner to help them launch a competitor to Starlink? When Starlink is close to the only viable game in town for what they provide....

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This one is boggling my mind a tiny bit as we know Elon really doesn't like Bezos and Amazon. Why would they partner to help them launch a competitor to Starlink? When Starlink is close to the only viable game in town for what they provide....

Maybe they don't think Amazon will be competitive and SpaceX will cash the checks until they fail. Starlink has first mover advantage and will always gets launches at cost.