Investing General Discussion

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Gonna put this here since it’s equities trading and not the underlying asset. Kew

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Mike McCaul is the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee.

View attachment 553095

View attachment 553094

Aramark is complete shit though. Not talking about the financials, I don't know anything about them. But the company itself is fucking garbage and takes forever to get anything done, and at exorbitant prices.

We are forced to use Aramark for facilities maintenance at work (corporate America, lol) and dealing with those people is a complete nightmare. I've got projects that have been open since fucking March and they haven't lifted a fucking finger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We used to get uniforms through Aramark. For the cost of the uniform service we put in two industrial washers and two industrial dryers and that plus building the room and utilities still had an ROI of 5 months.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

🌭🍔🇺🇦✌️SLAVA UKRAINI!✌️🇺🇦🍔🌭
<Gold Donor>
All I know about Aramark is the same truck that delivered food to my school would then swing by chili’s to deliver food.

I don’t eat at chilis.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

tugofpeace

Trakanon Raider
Anybody think the chance of hyperinflation is being blown out of proportion by "experts"? These idiots don't realize that hyperinflation requires 50% month over month inflation minimum, yet the think it's going to happen sometime soon. We haven't even hit 10% year over year inflation.

Furry

<Gold Donor>
Anybody think the chance of hyperinflation is being blown out of proportion by "experts"? These idiots don't realize that hyperinflation requires 50% month over month inflation minimum, yet the think it's going to happen sometime soon. We haven't even hit 10% year over year inflation.
Who thinks hyperinflation is gonna happen soon? I don’t think anyone credible has said that. High inflation could easily come back, but hyperinflation doesn’t seem likely in any definition of time I’d consider “soon”.

tugofpeace

Trakanon Raider
Who thinks hyperinflation is gonna happen soon? I don’t think anyone credible has said that. High inflation could easily come back, but hyperinflation doesn’t seem likely in any definition of time I’d consider “soon”.

I see many seemingly intelligent people on youtube talking about it. Terrible source yes, but not like anyone on mainstream media will ever mention it. For example:

Furry

<Gold Donor>
I see many seemingly intelligent people on youtube talking about it. Terrible source yes, but not like anyone on mainstream media will ever mention it. For example:

Decided to watch a random video of his to see if he's a retard. He paints with a broad and simple brush and talks in circles a lot, but everything he said was pretty fair, so not a retard. Watched this video.

And to break it down, he has a point that hyperinflation is a very real potential if we stay our current course of super overspending. I don't think he does enough to emphasize that we can probably continue for another 20-30 years doing nothing to change our course before the wheels really fly off. And as worthless as politicians are, there'd probably be some attempt to correct course as things got progressively worse.

And he doesn't really focus on what an average person should do in the face of this. Though he mentions these assets are protected, just being a sensible investor and owning stocks and some property does a lot to protect you from inflation. Having to pay more at the grocery store makes me angry, but as far as investing goes, inflation just makes me shrug.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Yes, the gov't is trying to inflate the debt away. No, they are not choosing hyperinflation.

Hyperinflation is a 50%+ MOM increase in prices. Anyone who uses the word hyperinflation to describe the current US system is a permabear macro doomer that you should ignore. Your portfolio will thank you for it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don’t know what the proper thread would be to post this but since it’s got an investing aspect to it I’ll post here.

My employer offers an HSA. Should I be contributing to it? Under what circumstance should I be contributing to it and how much?

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
I don’t know what the proper thread would be to post this but since it’s got an investing aspect to it I’ll post here.

My employer offers an HSA. Should I be contributing to it? Under what circumstance should I be contributing to it and how much?
As a fellow HSA-haver, HSA is one of the most tax-advantaged things alive--pre-tax income goes in, and then the withdrawals are non-taxable coming out as long as you use them for medical expenses. Contribute maximum to it (~4k/yr for individual, ~8k for family), and set it up as an investment vehicle--set some cash minimum in the account for day to day expenses and then have the rest invested in the fund of your choice (FXAIX here). In Fidelity, it will show up as another account and you can easily set/adjust the above.

Your employer may also provide a base contribution or match to a limit (mine does $1k/yr).

In terms of how much, think of this as paying for all of your and your family's medical expenses until death--which presumably will ramp up as you get older. OTC drugs and female sanitary products also qualify. At minimum, your goal should be to pay every in-year expense--you want to be using up this money whenever possible to capture that non-taxable withdrawal benefit. I have a chronically sick family member, so this ends up being fairly meaningful for me, but your mileage may vary.

In terms of when enough is enough accumulation... you'll have to judge that based on how much you're guessing you'll spend in the future post-retirement. Ultimately, it all passes on, so if you have a beneficiary in mind, you can't really go wrong unless you somehow end up with HSA $ that you want to access while alive for other expenses, in which case there's a 20% penalty on top of taxed withdrawal.

You'll pretty much always want to do whatever triggers an employer contribution if you have one, as that will easily outpace even the 20% penalty.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
As a fellow HSA-haver, HSA is one of the most tax-advantaged things alive--pre-tax income goes in, and then the withdrawals are non-taxable coming out as long as you use them for medical expenses. Contribute maximum to it (~4k/yr for individual, ~8k for family), and set it up as an investment vehicle--set some cash minimum in the account for day to day expenses and then have the rest invested in the fund of your choice (FXAIX here). In Fidelity, it will show up as another account and you can easily set/adjust the above.

Your employer may also provide a base contribution or match to a limit (mine does $1k/yr).

In terms of how much, think of this as paying for all of your and your family's medical expenses until death--which presumably will ramp up as you get older. OTC drugs and female sanitary products also qualify. At minimum, your goal should be to pay every in-year expense--you want to be using up this money whenever possible to capture that non-taxable withdrawal benefit. I have a chronically sick family member, so this ends up being fairly meaningful for me, but your mileage may vary.

In terms of when enough is enough accumulation... you'll have to judge that based on how much you're guessing you'll spend in the future post-retirement. Ultimately, it all passes on, so if you have a beneficiary in mind, you can't really go wrong unless you somehow end up with HSA $ that you want to access while alive for other expenses, in which case there's a 20% penalty on top of taxed withdrawal.

You'll pretty much always want to do whatever triggers an employer contribution if you have one, as that will easily outpace even the 20% penalty.
Thanks.

I’ve read some advice that says if after all your contributions you still have money left over to invest in a taxable account that it’s better to pay your medical expenses out of your own money instead of HSA and just keep receipts in case you need cash as allegedly you can be reimbursed later. Can you speak to this strategy at all?

From my understanding you can also withdraw for any reason at the age of 65, hence the above strategy.

edit - employer also offers an FSA. It seems like it could be a good idea to contribute to FSA a little for how much I think I’ll spend that way I’ll be less likely to pull from HSA. Thoughts?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yes HSA. Contribute the max every year.
no FSA. It sucks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

There is a real threat and we don't need to be silly to talk about it. The govt is going to devalue the dollar that is a hidden tax on you, IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IT IS HAPPENING. There isn't something in the future it's happening right now and its going to keep happening. All this means is the dollar is not your friend, make sure your assets are productive. debt to GDP can go much higher yet and it will all seem unreal just remember that currencies aren't value. It's like Cersei talking about power, there is illusions and then there is the real thing. Tangible and useful things will maintain and grow in value. Useless things like the US dollar will lose value. I would bet all your lives on it.

It doesn't matter if I value my things in grapefruits, bitcoin or dollars. It's the "thing" that matters not how we measure it. We only want wealth because we use it to purchase things of worth. The sooner you move from a devaluing currency to a useful asset the better.

Oh by the way this means stonks go Brrr not crash which is the exact opposite of the forces at work. Crashes are deflationary, people make me so sad with this stuff. THere will be counter trend moves they are short lived and violent and then the primary trend reasserts itself.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Thanks.

I’ve read some advice that says if after all your contributions you still have money left over to invest in a taxable account that it’s better to pay your medical expenses out of your own money instead of HSA and just keep receipts in case you need cash as allegedly you can be reimbursed later. Can you speak to this strategy at all?

From my understanding you can also withdraw for any reason at the age of 65, hence the above strategy.

edit - employer also offers an FSA. It seems like it could be a good idea to contribute to FSA a little for how much I think I’ll spend that way I’ll be less likely to pull from HSA. Thoughts?
To my understanding, over 65 you don't have the 20% penalty, but still only the qualified medical expenses allow for tax-free withdrawals.

The strategy you're describing is pretty intense to me, but I guess it would work--if you pay everything with present post-tax dollars, save the receipts for years, and then later reimburse yourself from the HSA out of that 'bank' of receipts when you need cash for non-qualified expenses vs selling post-tax investments, you save on capital gains tax that would have accrued from investing those post-tax dollars. That isn't necessarily dependent on the post-65 thing, but it is dependent on immaculate record keeping. I would not trust myself, but it is definitely a way to 'triple dip' even on top of everything else.

I've never used an FSA, but it looks really hard not to screw up in a bad way unless you have good planning.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FSA is fantastic for things you absolutely know you will be spending on. Like childcare or parking when we went to the office. But you do need to plan out how much you intend to spend and not deviate from that if you can.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users