Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I will add that my wife uses a FSA for childcare because its essentially a free $1k off of taxable income that was going to be spent anyway. In these cases its good to have a FSA.

Most FSAs I've ever seen top out at fairly small amounts though.
Since FSAs can normally only be had with a high deductible health care plan, they are good for covering your annual deductible each year assuming you have a pretty steady amount of medical care each year. And as you say, for childcare. If you plan to have a kid, you can load it up for that year also.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I will add that my wife uses a FSA for childcare because its essentially a free $1k off of taxable income that was going to be spent anyway. In these cases its good to have a FSA.

Most FSAs I've ever seen top out at fairly small amounts though.

Yeah, I should have specified that health care FSA are the bad ones. Child care FSA is more predictable and has no HSA analogue anyway. When I was paying for preschool we used one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PROTIP: I would avoid any kind of property where people live there though, such as housing rentals or apartments or what not, depending on your state's rules on evictions which can really bite you as a landlord. Look at mini-storages and industrial and commercial buildings.
Upside: mini-storages might be convertible into datacenters after they depopulate the world to cover the earth in AI.

• 1EyeRoll

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Upside: mini-storages might be convertible into datacenters after they depopulate the world to cover the earth in AI.
You're such an eeyore dumbass. Normally I don't go into the whole 'depopulation is good' schtick, but if it does kick in at least I wouldn't have to read your salty doomer nonsense anymore.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That idiot doesn't know you can live in mini-storage just fine! It's like a life hack.

• 1Mic Drop
  • 1Worf

Molten Core Raider
If that happened, I feel like NC would HAVE to be the data center capital of the world. There cannot be any state that has more of those god forsaken junk collection facilities than North Carolina. There has to be 2-3 of those for every strip mall.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
I should've been more detailed in my response. My cash is always sitting in a HYSA which yields about 4.5%. Not only that but I do DCA into VTI/VXUS every month so I have a position there.

The idea behind the car is that it's something I will need eventually. If I buy it now and carry the debt at a low interest rate, over time as the dollar devalues it will get easier and easier to pay off that loan. Not only that but the car has intrinsic value, while the dollar doesn't.

I would also point you to a year or two ago when used cars were selling for ridiculous prices. They actually did appreciate as far as I know.
It sounds like you’re trying to justify a purchase you don’t need to make.

Many such cases. I can speak from experience.

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Storage lots are one of the best $$/square foot investments you can make. The one big downside is the total lack of scalability. Once you hit 100% occupancy you are at the ceiling. You need capital outlay to grow. Commercials are 100% > than residential rentals on so many levels.
Do any storage companies do franchises?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You wanna live in the box? cost you $2 a day
1729536662656.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Another good one is RV storage areas. You need what amounts to a carport (roof, cover, something), electrical hookups, security fencing, cameras/security people, and sometimes you can even get away with minimal paving. Around here you can charge $2-500/space/month. That adds up pretty fast in a good sized lot, and TONS of people bought RV's for the prepper days that were obviously coming during COVID.

There's more downside risk compared to mini-storage as the economy gets worse IMO, but not all that much and if anything it's even less infrastructure needed than storage if you go barebones.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I was also looking at this today after noticing the random 2% dip.

What does it mean, chartmaster?
It means it puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again.

Still trapped. The move out of this box will be epic...but when and which direction. Up is still the most likely scenario based on chart.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It means it puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again.

Still trapped. The move out of this box will be epic...but when and which direction. Up is still the most likely scenario based on chart.
Two more weeks to break out of the trough?

• 1Jonesing
  • 1Mother of God