Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yea, there's probably gonna be a pop down at some point, but I'm not sure its worth thinking about too much. If trump wins it may float on up for a while, but I definitely think a Biden win will have an immediate negative impact.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm waiting for the S&P to a) catch up to the Nasdaq and b) take a turn as the leader for awhile.

Please tell me this happens regularly. I need my 401k to "pull a QQQ" for awhile.

Almost had a moment of weakness and thought about converting it from vanguard S&P to Trowe Price Blue Chip Growth (11 percent amazon) that seemed to be doing amazing last few years. Then thought about how shitty i'd feel if the above mentioned A and B happen "soon".

It will be difficult for the SP to beat the Nasdaq. Remember the top companies are mostly the same in both. It would take a streak of the top companies fading while the the smaller companies of the SP advance.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yea, there's probably gonna be a pop down at some point, but I'm not sure its worth thinking about too much. If trump wins it may float on up for a while, but I definitely think a Biden win will have an immediate negative impact.
The long term holds are stuff I am holding through the downturn. I tried the time the market thing in the past and it rarely works. At least for me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The long term holds are stuff I am holding through the downturn. I tried the time the market thing in the past and it rarely works. At least for me.

I can't at all.

Outside of my good 401k move I bought Tesla right before it slumped, sold AMD right when it started the never ending upward trend, sold CLSK not long before it went parabolic, bought into Boeing after holding off for so long...right when it leveled out and retreated, and I also own Intel and Exxon.

I've made some good buys too but when I try to time things I just fail. Apple at $220 was my best move and it wasn't much cause I didn't have the cash at the time.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The devil tempted me with Tesla not two days ago. Thank the Lord I resisted, just so I would not feel shitty today. (not saying it was the right/wrong move)

I'll wait for a crash, or i'll just wave as the rest of you pass me in the gutter on the way to your spaceX mansions in the sky.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can't at all.

Outside of my good 401k move I bought Tesla right before it slumped, sold AMD right when it started the never ending upward trend, sold CLSK not long before it went parabolic, bought into Boeing after holding off for so long...right when it leveled out and retreated, and I also own Intel and Exxon.

I've made some good buys too but when I try to time things I just fail. Apple at $220 was my best move and it wasn't much cause I didn't have the cash at the time.
Minus my SPACs and DAL, everything I own at this point is a long term hold. So far the last couple additions have tanked. My last decent grabs were NVDA at $350 (like 6 weeks ago, fucking rocket) and FB at $210. I keep looking for quality at a good entry point buy weeks of up days make it difficult.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Bumble is a tinder-like dating app seeking a valuation of 8billion. That seems ambitious.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The markets rising like crazy every day has me just as nervous lately as when they crashed. I have a feeling Blazin Blazin is making the right move sidelining his shit. But FOMO is real!
The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain insolvent.

Keep that in mind. If you're nervous, it likely means your asset allocation is not correct for your risk tolerance. If you're too heavily invested in equities and nervous, it may mean you need to be less invested in equities.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Or put a bit more indelicately, pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Never feel uncomfortable taking profits off the table. Cash in the bank doesn't have a 5% down day. We had a monstrous run in August. Check your portfolio positions. If you actually set position weights, see if the run up has put you overweight in something and maybe trim down some of the profits. If you never put together any type of asset weighting, maybe its a good time to see how much of your portfolio is in specific holdings.

Also keep in mind this is the last week of summer. The professional traders are coming back from the Hamptons and will probably be looking to lock in some gains from the summer amateur investors.

3-month Nasdaq chart. Look at August.

1599135704508.png

S&P 500 3 month. look at August.

1599135773494.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sold half my Tesla at 475, the other half at 450... Wish I got out at 500, but it's still profit.

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes basis in GE is 6.84, have 750 shares

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Going to laugh my ass off if the stock offering by Tesla burned off their momentum and it crashes

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold half my Tesla at 475, the other half at 450... Wish I got out at 500, but it's still profit.

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes basis in GE is 6.84, have 750 shares
$6.84 isnt bad. I was expecting a lot worse. So my advice would be to sell covered calls and make money each flip. For example you sell 7 contracts of the $8.00 calls expiring in two weeks (9/18) for 0.05 so approx $35 in premium. If they dont get called you made about 0.75% profit. It ain't a ton, but the idea is you do it every couple of weeks. So extrapolate it out and its 1.5% profit a month (x12) is 18% profit annually. That ain't shitty. If it does spike and you do get exercised on the first week you make $1.16 a share plus the 0.05 premium so $1.21 a share. That works out to a profit of 17.7%

If this is something that interests you we can dig in to different choices of the options. Of course you have to see what your platform charges for options trades and factor that into the projected profit.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It looks like some profit taking from Tech and moving into more cyclicals like industrials. Financials are getting love too. DAL +3%, JPM +3%, GD and RTX both up over 1%

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Seeing a correction in big tech would be strangely rewarding, even though I hold plenty of it through total market.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
$6.84 isnt bad. I was expecting a lot worse. So my advice would be to sell covered calls and make money each flip. For example you sell 7 contracts of the $8.00 calls expiring in two weeks (9/18) for 0.05 so approx $35 in premium. If they dont get called you made about 0.75% profit. It ain't a ton, but the idea is you do it every couple of weeks. So extrapolate it out and its 1.5% profit a month (x12) is 18% profit annually. That ain't shitty. If it does spike and you do get exercised on the first week you make $1.16 a share plus the 0.05 premium so $1.21 a share. That works out to a profit of 17.7%

If this is something that interests you we can dig in to different choices of the options. Of course you have to see what your platform charges for options trades and factor that into the projected profit.

I'm interested sure, but half retarded. Sounds like you can't really lose doing this, so seems sketchy as fuck

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm interested sure, but half retarded. Sounds like you can't really lose doing this, so seems sketchy as fuck
You can from the sense of opportunity cost. The downside is that lets say the day before your calls expire Trump announces GE is the official Coronachan vaccine provider of the US Government and the Stock goes to $30. Assuming you dont take a loss and roll those options you are bound to sell your shares for $8 the next day. Thus the opportunity cost was $22 a share.

I have been doing covered calls on my DAL shares for months. You just grab little chunks and dont be greedy about it.

Edit: options are how people really get rich in the market. Options are how Blazin Blazin can afford his summer house in the Hamptons :p

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You can from the sense of opportunity cost. The downside is that lets say the day before your calls expire Trump announces GE is the official Coronachan vaccine provider of the US Government and the Stock goes to $30. Assuming you dont take a loss and roll those options you are bound to sell your shares for $8 the next day. Thus the opportunity cost was $22 a share.

I have been doing covered calls on my DAL shares for months. You just grab little chunks and dont be greedy about it.

Edit: options are how people really get rich in the market. Options are how Blazin Blazin can afford his summer house in the Hamptons :p

Sure, you might not make millions, but if you can always get 15%+... Seems fucky fucky