Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sure, you might not make millions, but if you can always get 15%+... Seems fucky fucky
The millions are made when you are trading naked options (or on shares you dont actually own). If naked options are approved on your account, that means you could do the same trade but you dont actually own the shares. If they get called you would have to buy the at that price and eat a real loss.

Covered calls have limited downside because you have already "hedged" so to speak by purchasing the shares. The profit limitation is really the fact that you have to outlay the cash to purchase the shares. In this cash you already bought them as an investment which didnt go the way you hoped and this then becomes a revenue generator.

Also let me add another factor of risk you aren't seeing. You arent doing this on shares you are upside down on. If you do get exercised you are making a profit. When I was doing this on my XOM shares I was upside down like 30% at one point. So getting boned and losing the shares would have made that a real loss instead of a paper loss. But it did make me some money to cut into that paper loss I had over time.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The millions are made when you are trading naked options (or on shares you dont actually own). If naked options are approved on your account, that means you could do the same trade but you dont actually own the shares. If they get called you would have to buy the at that price and eat a real loss.

Covered calls have limited downside because you have already "hedged" so to speak by purchasing the shares. The profit limitation is really the fact that you have to outlay the cash to purchase the shares. In this cash you already bought them as an investment which didnt go the way you hoped and this then becomes a revenue generator.

Also let me add another factor of risk you aren't seeing. You arent doing this on shares you are upside down on. If you do get exercised you are making a profit. When I was doing this on my XOM shares I was upside down like 30% at one point. So getting boned and losing the shares would have made that a real loss instead of a paper loss. But it did make me some money to cut into that paper loss I had over time.

Seems too easy to pick a stable stock, and do this for big returns...

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
When setting a trailing stop loss, how often is the new bar to sell set? Is it in real time or just once a day at close or what?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hey neat lots of stuff crashing today. Maybe I can time stuff after all! Why’d NVDA take a shit?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Tech is straight up taking it to the nuts today. Guess that pop down was closer than it appeared in the mirror. Was all pumped about breaking a quarter million between all my accounts yesterday, whoops.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For everyone wondering what ahppened today. see my earlier post with charts of the indexes over the last month. This is profit taking due to insane moves up over the last month.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I want everyone to know I saved you guys with TSLA. I put a limit order in to buy at $375 and the stock stabilized. I have set a floor for everyone.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Merrill Edge Twitter feed is on fire right now. I can't convince my mom to get off Merrill but luckily I had her limit orders set before their system crashed. People are losing minds right now.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I keep thinking we have to see a rotation out of tech, and then a few days later tech goes HAM again. Need to see confirmation.