Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
nothing but rally since they were released. Clearly market was expecting worse. Should be an interesting day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

My Fidelity govt mm is paying .08. The Arizona muni mm is paying 5%, with mm backstopped time to switch.

Pops

So much for my conviction, going to leg out of some good gains to have more cash. Haha 5% tax free kind of gave me a little push.

Pops

First big number they rally. Squeeze their lemons to the juice runs down their legs.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
First big number they rally. Squeeze their lemons to the juice runs down their legs.

False rallies like this always happen. Negative positions get popular, and at some point you gotta blow them up.

Pops

That's why I said, until proven otherwise this is just a rally in a bear market. Bears get complacent too.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Capture.JPG

This is a chart of the S&P 500. The red trend line is the 200 week average that acted as support for the last decade. To reiterate Pops, we are now in a bear market by definition. We can have very sharp rallies but until we can clear and close above the trend line we are not out of the woods. In longer bear markets that red trend line will roll over and start to decline. While this recession is likely to be rather deep we may recover fast enough to get on top of a flattening 200 wk average prior to it fully rolling over.

There is a lot of institutional rebalancing going on right now and it could continue till the end of the month. Also as a concept to understand, after large declines like this you now have investors who held through the decline and as we recover a sizable chunk of that decline some will choose to get off the ride, you will also have people who went long and with sizable gains that they will want to book. That is why support levels turn into resistance once they are broken. It can take some time for these dynamics to work their way through the system.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
People who talk about support and resistance are the equivalent of witch doctors in Africa throwing bones.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
People who talk about support and resistance are the equivalent of witch doctors in Africa throwing bones.

Nonsense. Technicals are not magical pixy dust but they matter because they matter to humans. Humans are consistent in how they emotionally respond with fear and greed. This behavior shows itself in patterns. Some are meaningless some are not. Simple concepts of understanding, are many stock holders currently green, are they red? and how does that effect their future decision making. The choices of past investors sheds light on the choices of future traders.

People who aren't smart enough to understand complex ideas sometimes find solace in dismissing them entirely.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Nonsense. Technicals are not magical pixy dust but they matter because they matter to humans. Humans are consistent in how they emotionally respond with fear and greed. This behavior shows itself in patterns. Some are meaningless some are not. Simple concepts of understanding, are many stock holders currently green, are they red? and how does that effect their future decision making. The choices of past investors sheds light on the choices of future traders.

People who aren't smart enough to understand complex ideas sometimes find solace in dismissing them entirely.
Even if they were magic fairy dust terms they are how the professionals base their decisions and as a result are worth paying attention to.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Since computers do most of the trading, I assume trendlines have more merit than not when world events are calm.
However I also think it's rather unpredictable and markets are for the most part, a result of current events, which trendlines simply don't predict. No trendline was going to tell you a pandemic would wipe out 30% of the market.

So today is another green day and RCL is up 20% again for the 3rd day in a row.
At this point I don't know if we'll hit new lows or not, I assume next week could see some big declines as people here are predicting, but I'm leaning toward "hold" on most of my positions now.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Even if they were magic fairy dust terms they are how the professionals base their decisions and as a result are worth paying attention to.

thats what I mean by they matter because they matter to people. From some truly logical standpoint taking people out of it, who gives a shit about a 200wk avg. but because enough people believe it's relevant it becomes relevant. We now have 1000s of machines that have their entire programmed trading running off of technicals.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since computers do most of the trading, I assume trendlines have more merit than not when world events are calm.
However I also think it's rather unpredictable and markets are for the most part, a result of current events, which trendlines simply don't predict. No trendline was going to tell you a pandemic would wipe out 30% of the market.

So today is another green day and RCL is up 20% again for the 3rd day in a row.
At this point I don't know if we'll hit new lows or not, I assume next week could see some big declines as people here are predicting, but I'm leaning toward "hold" on most of my positions now.

At this point I think the virus numbers are what matter, they are the big unknown now. US cases went up 20% in one day yesterday, does that level off or does that continue?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Simpletons get confused because they want something to be a guarantee or it is no value. Technicals often get blown the fuck out, but clearly as shown below it mattered. I enjoy seeing the stumbling blocks for why people have trouble finding success. These things are guide posts, just another tool in the chest to try to make good decisions. And there are numerous tools to be employed to consistently perform. Many people learn about investing and trading and lock in on one particular tool and become so laser focused on that one thing they fail to look at all available information and keep an open mind.

Capture.JPG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
At this point I think the virus numbers are what matter, they are the big unknown now. US cases went up 20% in one day yesterday, does that level off or does that continue?
You cant compare the number of new cases to number of old cases without accounting for increase in testing.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bought Carnival at 8. Think selling now at 18 is good. Bought 100 shares

Might as well. I dumped by 400 shares of PLAY at a similar amount. Nice profit for holding it less than two weeks. Actually that is the first stock I have ever sold in my life.