Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Not only that, but they're going to force you into an asset allocation that's way too conservative much earlier than you would like (shifting into more bonds).

It's one of those things that makes fuckall sense about what used to be the common wisdom of retirement (I think it was 120 minus your age in bonds). If you retire at 60 and need your money to last 30 years, why the fuck would you start dumping more into bonds? You still need a lot of growth to get you there. 30 years is a long time.
Yes and the they came about as a concept at the tail end of a 40yr secular period of declining interest rates that promoted bond heavy investing. What people are going to have to struggle with possibly for decades is if bonds should play any role in a portfolio during a secular rising rate environment. THey are literally just going to eat your capital.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cracked 4600 for the first time since that run up in 2021!
5.5 trading days and counting. It's gonna be a squeaker on my calls.

Snl This Is Exciting GIF by Saturday Night Live

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
around 10:20 yields started moving higher killing momentum. They are sitting at the knee jerk swing from data release right now. Jobs data was about as expected showing slowing job growth the unemployment rate dropping is just not a good look for the "lower sooner" crowd vs the "higher for longer" trade

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yields moved again on the consumer confidence data and the inflation expectation data baked in it.

- 1-year inflation expectations 3.1% v 4.3%e (lowest since March 2021)
- 5-10 year inflation expectations 2.8% v 3.1%e (lowest since Sep 2022)

All of the data today puts pressure on the Fed and putting some of the rate cut optimism back into question, which is why we had rallied so hard over the last few weeks.

Caution is prudent here.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yields moved again on the consumer confidence data and the inflation expectation data baked in it.

- 1-year inflation expectations 3.1% v 4.3%e (lowest since March 2021)
- 5-10 year inflation expectations 2.8% v 3.1%e (lowest since Sep 2022)

All of the data today puts pressure on the Fed and putting some of the rate cut optimism back into question, which is why we had rallied so hard over the last few weeks.

Caution is prudent here.
No offense to everyone wanting things to rocket higher but...

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
Anyone ever invest in start ups via wefunder? There a local company, runner city, that's competing with Favor and delivery apps. A bit more focused on labor than deliveries, fix my leaky sink, repair my fence, but also I need a pick up the airport tomorrow at 5. I think the current app has a fee to work for them, you and the customer work out cost and you keep 100%. It started in Austin and wanting to expand to other cities.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My 2 cents - I would rather you index the market as a whole vs a target date fund, they just seem to lag a bit behind. There should be a vanguard S&P in that bad boy.

I love Roth, but I’ve never been a fan of converting at 24% taxes over qualified contributions, but there’s some math out there that says you still should. I just prefer saving the taxes now, making traditional contributions, and praying the brackets are not horrible in 25 years. They’re both good choices and make peace that you’re saving, which is the most important thing - the answer to which way isn’t always black and white.

Just to clarify the 2065 is about ~50% S&P 500. My biggest issue with the target funds is their inclusion of international stocks and bonds which account for about 40%.

Not only that, but they're going to force you into an asset allocation that's way too conservative much earlier than you would like (shifting into more bonds).

It's one of those things that makes fuckall sense about what used to be the common wisdom of retirement (I think it was 120 minus your age in bonds). If you retire at 60 and need your money to last 30 years, why the fuck would you start dumping more into bonds? You still need a lot of growth to get you there. 30 years is a long time.

Yeah. This is pretty much the asset allocation for the target date fund. Seems international heavy… I think I’ll come up with my own portfolio of fxaix and maybe 2-3 other things.

IMG_4652.jpeg

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah. This is pretty much the asset allocation for the target date fund. Seems international heavy… I think I’ll come up with my own portfolio of fxaix and maybe 2-3 other things.

View attachment 503590
Mix FXAIX with another ETF or two and use them to go overweight a sector or provide exposure to something you don't have (like small/mid caps).

Want to be overweight tech (this is almost tongue and cheek considering the makeup of the top 10 in the S&P) buy a little FTEC or XLK. Want to be overweight the financial sector buy a little XLF. Want additional exposure to the NASDAQ companies, buy a little QQQ. Just be conscious of individual weights if you choose to overweight tech since AAPL, MSFT, GOOG are already heavily weighted in the S&P.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FLPSX also a fantastic option for your ROTH.

FAGIX is another great one.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Added qqqm to my self managed portfolio. Now 20% qqqm and 80% fxaix. Exciting stuff. Gonna work on some portfolios for my 401k this week and punt them past yall for your thoughts. Thanks again for input so far

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All of the bigs getting thumped into the red. 1st day since buybacks went dark. Just a coincidence.
AAPL -1.77%
MSFT -1.52%
GOOGL - 2.0%
AMZN - 1.42%
META - 3.7%
TSLA -2.7%

And yet the S&P is about flat.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
All of the bigs getting thumped into the red. 1st day since buybacks went dark. Just a coincidence.
AAPL -1.77%
MSFT -1.52%
GOOGL - 2.0%
AMZN - 1.42%
META - 3.7%
TSLA -2.7%

And yet the S&P is about flat.
Interesting qqq is up half a point. Some rebalancing going on or new additions?

• 1Like
  • 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just look at avgo and all your answers will be there.

2200% calls in a single day.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

How much does one need to have to get a bro to manage this investing nonsense to get a non moron?

like basic stuff like moving around my retirement account funds etc