Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I spend all day automating this kind of data parsing for shit at work.

The very idea I would deal with manual uploads of anything is completely fucking preposterous.
Shrug. Sometimes the best tool for a job is a simple wrench turn. I literally go in after each close and input the daily close values of my holdings on to sheet 1. Thats it. From there all the formulas do their magic across the rest of the sheets.

The only other work I have to update is purchases/sales and dividend reinvestments on sheet 1. Again, takes me less than a minute.

#BoomerLife

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I also enjoy such projects I mean, yes I don't have to do anything fancy. But to me this isn't that fancy anyway.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Starting to research my personal asset tracker I want to put together. Mint and the other various apps that used to be free are going freemium and putting the useful shit behind paywalls.

Option 1:
  • Excel App utilizing newer features of Excel and REST apis offered by most things these days. Fidelity not having one will be annoying since it is so much of my assets though so this is a big issue.
  • Excel can run Python now with a few addons which makes all of this quite easy.
  • Don't have excel and they can straight up suck my dick at $6 a month to use that shit.
  • $150+ permanent(?) license.
Option 2:
  • Firefly III - A free and open source personal finance manager
    • This looks pretty dope and fills most of the gaps I would want.
  • Can deploy it via AWS on the near-free tier so it would be like $2 a month to sustain it.
  • Set it up on my Raspberry Pi as a better solution.
  • Budgeting features not as interesting as I don't particularly need that part.
Leaning towards 2 here.
How new of a version of Excel do you need exactly? Will the 2019 version do you or need something REALLY new?

That's where I get my Windows keys when I build systems for my relatives. heh. And I'm running that Office Pro right now.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Foler Foler the next time your overpriced professional advisor tells you that Emerging Markets are where you want to be but your FOH bros say it's the S&P show him this.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL opens down more than 2% on a downgrade and prediction of iPhone sales slowdown. Happy New Year.

Edit: - 3.25%

Last edited:
  • 1Launch Fail
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1704209635271.png

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I got $30k in cash sitting on the sideline waiting to invest O_O

Waiting for Blazin Blazin or Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes to make a move.
JPM kicks off what I consider the earnings season for the bigs on 1/12 (with UNH, BAC, WFC, C, and BLK). So roughly two weeks of trading between now and then.
SPY DMAs are at $450, $444 and $434. Its a 4.7% drop down to that first support of $450. Do we do that in 10 trading days? Possibly. Maybe today's open is an anomaly and we keep pushing higher after a quick breather since we didn't see real buyer exhaustion into the end of the year. Im just sitting and waiting to see what the market wants to give us.

My breakeven to buy back in on my called shares is $461.50 (-2.2%)

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
JPM kicks off what I consider the earnings season for the bigs on 1/12 (with UNH, BAC, WFC, C, and BLK). So roughly two weeks of trading between now and then.
SPY DMAs are at $450, $444 and $434. Its a 4.7% drop down to that first support of $450. Do we do that in 10 trading days? Possibly. Maybe today's open is an anomaly and we keep pushing higher after a quick breather since we didn't see real buyer exhaustion into the end of the year. Im just sitting and waiting to see what the market wants to give us.

My breakeven to buy back in on my called shares is $461.50 (-2.2%)

$460.77 seems to be the line of support.

You applying lessons learned and moving up not to miss the entry or am I just wrong about the support?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler the next time your overpriced professional advisor tells you that Emerging Markets are where you want to be but your FOH bros say it's the S&P show him this.

Dumb question but help me clarify - despite earning record returns some years it’s getting hammered others, the idea that it ends up being a wash? I think that’s the point being made ya?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
QQQM down 1.81%. Seems like I should treat myself to a share or two

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone rollin the dice on the JBLU-SAVE merger? Spirit around 16 a share, jetblue promises to pay 33.5 a share if it goes through. Trial is over and awaiting judges ruling.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
$460.77 seems to be the line of support.

You applying lessons learned and moving up not to miss the entry or am I just wrong about the support?
The prices I listed showed as the 50, 100 and 200 DMAs. That price you mentioned might be the 20-DMA (not in front a computer ATM). With the run up the market had, the 20 DMA isn't a number I am watching as much.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dumb question but help me clarify - despite earning record returns some years it’s getting hammered others, the idea that it ends up being a wash? I think that’s the point being made ya?
The point being that over the timeframe of this report, the S&P was top 3 every year. This is the consistency you want to invest in over the long haul. Average the returns of the two and see what comes up better.

• 1Like