Investing

Palum

what Suineg set it to
WTF does that include the $200/mo he's spending on the software? rofl.

He said he paid $500 to start and around $80 a month. There's 5 hours of videos to watch then he gives you daily trade strategies if you keep your subscription up.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Sold my Exxon and AT&T shares today I beat the market jumping into these dividend names and picked them up over 12-14% ago and made a nice return. Exxon may run into the mid 80s here but I'm willing to miss the last part of the move. Really watching the financials for my next swing trade, particularly Wells Fargo and JP Morgan

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
He said he paid $500 to start and around $80 a month. There's 5 hours of videos to watch then he gives you daily trade strategies if you keep your subscription up.
Heh, it doesn't strike you as odd that someone who could just follow their own advice would sell it for an upfront fee and a relatively small subscription fee?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys have any experience with futures?

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into buying USL and considering the current market conditions it doesn't look like a bad move but I have no idea when it comes to a commodity based futures stock like that (that's my understanding of what it is)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Fucking Morgan Stanley Smith Barney with their Indian help desk people. Called them for some additional tax information and the lady on the phone says, "Sorry sir, since you're company stopped using MSSB you no longer have access to your account." Excuse me? Asked her to explain to me exactly how my stocks, my money, and my information had anything to do with a company I haven't worked in 5 months and how I can just not have access to it. "Well sir they used us to manage your information and when they changed your account was disabled, you cannot access it."

After 5 minutes of this I'm all, "okay so wut do?" And she says, "oh you can just call us and we're happy to help you access your account."

Barely had the patience to stay on the phone.

Heh, it doesn't strike you as odd that someone who could just follow their own advice would sell it for an upfront fee and a relatively small subscription fee?
The subscription is for access to his signals. He is a hedge fund trader and says he trades in his fund using the technique. So I signed up for a 1-month subscription for $97 so if it is snake oil my loss is negligible. Gives access to the webinar and 1-month access to his signals. It's a pretty simple technique using an option spread in a very specific way. The strategy has managed risk and a limited upside, it is shooting for a high probability of success with a commensurate nearly guaranteed limited profit range. It is based on playing long term probabilities of success with weekly trades.

What my buddy paid for was the original live webinar (I watched the recording), and a 5 month plan to follow him trade for trade to double your account size. Since the market has been rather crazy as of late he has extended their class for another few months.

So if it's all smoke and mirrors all I lost was $100, but will have at least learned how to set up options trades and spreads.

Isn't that all this is anyway? Vapor and buzz words cloaking the reality that you're just gambling?

I was looking for something a little more fun than buying single stocks and holding them until they profit. This seems to be a strategy you can use in any market. Guess I'll find out.

Making money is fun. Supplementing income and standard retirement accounts through some trading on the side is the goal.

If this works it may get a lot more of my time and capital.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
The subscription is for access to his signals. He is a hedge fund trader and says he trades in his fund using the technique. So I signed up for a 1-month subscription for $97 so if it is snake oil my loss is negligible. Gives access to the webinar and 1-month access to his signals. It's a pretty simple technique using an option spread in a very specific way. The strategy has managed risk and a limited upside, it is shooting for a high probability of success with a commensurate nearly guaranteed limited profit range. It is based on playing long term probabilities of success with weekly trades.

What my buddy paid for was the original live webinar (I watched the recording), and a 5 month plan to follow him trade for trade to double your account size. Since the market has been rather crazy as of late he has extended their class for another few months.

So if it's all smoke and mirrors all I lost was $100, but will have at least learned how to set up options trades and spreads.
I'm just going to leave thishereyou for, and let you draw your own conclusions about hedge fund managers. You really need to realize that A) Investing is a long term game, and B) Throwing away money randomly and viewing it as inconsequential is the wrong mindset for investing.

Fortune.com_sl said:
Under the terms of the wager, Buffett is betting (with his own money, not Berkshire?s) on the stock market performance of an S&P 500 index fund while Prot?g? Partners, a New York money manager, is banking on five funds of hedge funds (the names of which have never been publicly disclosed) that Prot?g? carefully picked at the outset. Through the seven years, Vanguard?s 500 index fund, as represented by its Admiral shares, is up 63.5%. That?s the portfolio carrying Buffett?s colors. Prot?g?s five hedge funds of funds are, on the average?the marker the bet uses?up an estimated 19.6%. (The ?estimated? takes into account that not all of the five funds have final figures for 2014).

I'm fully aware of how investing works and Buffetts S&P advice, which is why my own retirement accounts are S&P index fund heavy. This isn't about throwing money away randomly. It is about risk assessment and management. Spending $100 and using a small capital account to see if I can realize 10% returns long term is not reckless. This strategy promises 90+% probability of success, but an order fill rate of only 50%, so a lot of the time the trade is just not there.

That said, I'll repeat this is something I'm doing on the side for fun, completely outside of retirement accounts. Average investors who just want a nice retirement should definitely just target an S&P or target retirement fund.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
You guys have any experience with futures?

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into buying USL and considering the current market conditions it doesn't look like a bad move but I have no idea when it comes to a commodity based futures stock like that (that's my understanding of what it is)
yo motherfucker, i was involved with futures for over a decade. Firstly, USL is not a futures contract. It's a fund that someone runs for a small fee that will track closely (sometimes not so closely) the underlying commidity. 2ndly who the fuck knows where it's going to go. 3rdly, the deal with commodities is that in the long term, they pretty much stay flat to go down. Unlike say equities, which in the long run go up, becasue they are a claim on future earnings. So even when your wrong with equities, your at least swimming with the current. When your gambling on commodities, the water is dead still and evaporating.

I don't know what the fuck oils going to do, never believed in peak oil. I probably crapped on about that here years ago, good to see I'm right about that one too. In the long run I expect oil to keep depreciating, it's a dying commodity with fuel cells and whatever new wizard technology is going to come out in tth efuture. I wouldn't be holding my breath for any new oil boom.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
rinthe weren't you a thousand post stock wizard with a majestic avatar on foh?

Now you have 89 posts in 3 years and -4 cuntonots?

It's time to buy some stock IN YOURSELF, son.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
yo motherfucker, i was involved with futures for over a decade. Firstly, USL is not a futures contract. It's a fund that someone runs for a small fee that will track closely (sometimes not so closely) the underlying commidity. 2ndly who the fuck knows where it's going to go. 3rdly, the deal with commodities is that in the long term, they pretty much stay flat to go down. Unlike say equities, which in the long run go up, becasue they are a claim on future earnings. So even when your wrong with equities, your at least swimming with the current. When your gambling on commodities, the water is dead still and evaporating.

I don't know what the fuck oils going to do, never believed in peak oil. I probably crapped on about that here years ago, good to see I'm right about that one too. In the long run I expect oil to keep depreciating, it's a dying commodity with fuel cells and whatever new wizard technology is going to come out in tth efuture. I wouldn't be holding my breath for any new oil boom.
Someone's angry about my question.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
rinthe weren't you a thousand post stock wizard with a majestic avatar on foh?

Now you have 89 posts in 3 years and -4 cuntonots?

It's time to buy some stock IN YOURSELF, son.
yeah those were the times, i had some serious -internets too for trolling the liberals on the general politics thread, maybe i should check out the politics thread now... surely heads must be exploding in rage regarding trump

relax khane, it's just jokes

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Got the house reappraised, remortgaged and credit cards paid off. So I finally have room in the budget to save some for the future.

This is all fairly new to me (have known the basics for a while), so read the Boglehead book and trawled a few other sites.

To begin with, I have about $10k to invest.
Plan is more or less
60-70% in long (10-15 years+) positions in dividend yielding stocks
20-30% in index-tracking funds
10-20% in shorter term positions to learn the market. Not necessarily to time buys/sells, but because I want to learn more. Any losses are assigned to "training fees".

If I managed to follow the budget I've put together, I should be able to put aside about $1000-$1200 / month extra

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got the house reappraised, remortgaged and credit cards paid off. So I finally have room in the budget to save some for the future.

This is all fairly new to me (have known the basics for a while), so read the Boglehead book and trawled a few other sites.

To begin with, I have about $10k to invest.
Plan is more or less
60-70% in long (10-15 years+) positions in dividend yielding stocks
20-30% in index-tracking funds
10-20% in shorter term positions to learn the market. Not necessarily to time buys/sells, but because I want to learn more. Any losses are assigned to "training fees".

If I managed to follow the budget I've put together, I should be able to put aside about $1000-$1200 / month extra
Best thing to do when you first start out is not lose money. The market is very expensive right now. I would suggest keeping 1/2 your money in short term government ladder bonds and wait for a bear market. It's long overdue.

Good books to start. Intelligent investor, Random Walk Down Wallstreet and anything by Boogle.

Also type in Couch potato portfolio. Great way to start out.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Furious_sl said:
and wait for a bear market
Depending on your definition, from late December to early February, the US was very close to bear territory. Almost a 14% decline from peak to trough. There was a smaller correction August-October last year, as well.