IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel you Noodle. They sold you something that you thought you wanted and then moved the goalposts. Then removed the goalposts. Then told you to build the goalposts. Then hired a contractor to build the goalposts and want you to check on their work.

Hope things work out.
Great summary.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I work at a giant corporation that ends up being about 15 years behind industry leading IT trends. This year the higher ups decided everyone in the company needs to be doing scrum by the end of the year. We're about as rooted in traditional waterfall as possible. It's been funny watching middle management try and squirm out of this one.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My mom works for a giant insurance company and they too just started the scrum mandates. My mom thinks she's really hip and bleeding edge now because of this lol.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Scrum/Agile mostly just feels like a bandaid for a problem that doesn't really exist. Adherence to it also wastes half an hour a day, possibly more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had a weekly meeting where we went over topics and that was it, we were super productive. No scrum board, no standing meetings, no stupid bullshit.

Tenks

Half the time stand ups feel like people either bragging about how much they accomplished yesterday or endlessly complaining about their piddly little problems for why they accomplished nothing yesterday. I understand the academic spirit of a stand up but from my experience they pretty much always devolve into what I just described.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Gotta have some reason for posting on forums all day, and "this work is boring and unmotivating" ain't going to cut it!

Tenks

For whatever reason at work they've decided this work I've been doing needs to be done and it needs to be done now. My confidence in the testing (we have no QA resources on this project) is lacking but fuck it we'll ship it to production if you want.

Siliconemelons

We had a weekly meeting where we went over topics and that was it, we were super productive. No scrum board, no standing meetings, no stupid bullshit.
We just starting doing the Kanban board stuff, our programing department just starting doing SCRUM...

Me and another team member just decomd our DR sites old EMC that was replaced with a NetAPP, but we have another EMC there and our main datacenter we have a new EMC chugging along.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I know most of this thread is about programming, but figured I'd ask here instead of making a new thread. My original position was a PC Tech III. 5 months ago both of our sysadmins quit within a month of each other. One spot was filled, while the other remained empty. I told my bosses I was interested, so they told me I needed 1 of handful of potential certs to be properly qualified. Ended up blasting through the MCSA within 2 months and got the promotion last week. My question is should I continue towards the MCSE for server infrastructure or private cloud? I'm looking for long time viability and growth, rather than what's good for the company I'm currently with.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I completely agree with your assessment on their value. The MCSA tests were absolute dogshit really. I've been in IT for 6 years now without them, but kind of got to a roadblock with the above situation without it. Thinking I'm just gonna go with the server infrastructure and call it quits after that. Private cloud seems more datacenter oriented.

Vinen

God is dead
I know most of this thread is about programming, but figured I'd ask here instead of making a new thread. My original position was a PC Tech III. 5 months ago both of our sysadmins quit within a month of each other. One spot was filled, while the other remained empty. I told my bosses I was interested, so they told me I needed 1 of handful of potential certs to be properly qualified. Ended up blasting through the MCSA within 2 months and got the promotion last week. My question is should I continue towards the MCSE for server infrastructure or private cloud? I'm looking for long time viability and growth, rather than what's good for the company I'm currently with.
Neither. IT as a job is fucked as Automation takes over.

Watching a lot of large shops shrink their IT organizations drastically.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Neither. IT as a job is fucked as Automation takes over.

Watching a lot of large shops shrink their IT organizations drastically.
You got this backwards, it's actually automation that will drive the creation of more IT jobs. If anything will kill the IT worker, it's shit being migrated into the cloud being managed by Hodji over in India.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Really is, I used to do a lot more hardware IT stuff and datacenter design, 2006-2010 I basically had more work than I could realistically manage. Now I get like 1 job a year, if any for that specialty. The only companies building datacenters anymore already have specialized staff to do it, and the ones who don't just use those companies who do.
That's just a re-shuffling of staffing within an industry that has gotten big enough to move from consultancy to dedicated firms. Someone is still doing the job you did, and they're most likely still local to the US. For instance Viawest builds/owns datacenters, and they eventually got big enough to hire their own design staff rather than outsourcing it or hiring consultants..

I dunno, IT unemployment across the US is still way below the national average, and here in Dallas it's something like 1.5%..

moontayle

Golden Squire
thanks. I'll go commit seppuku now.
I wouldn't worry. You seem smart enough to pivot if need be and if you pay attention to industry news you can get a sense of what's coming and prepare appropriately.

Do you work strictly in Windows Admin or is there Linux involved as well? I do know there's something of a shortage of competent Linux admins. My old company almost always has a Linux admin spot open.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't worry. You seem smart enough to pivot if need be and if you pay attention to industry news you can get a sense of what's coming and prepare appropriately.

Do you work strictly in Windows Admin or is there Linux involved as well? I do know there's something of a shortage of competent Linux admins. My old company almost always has a Linux admin spot open.

Last edited: