IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Learning pointers in middle school might actually be detrimental. Took me forever to correct that block.
I learned pointers in 5th grade programming C on a 386 running a DOS C compiler from a book at home after school. You kids these days have it easy.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, definitely. I work with some of the newer languages and I miss pointers now. But just pointers, fuck memory management.

Vinen

God is dead
I learned pointers in 5th grade programming C on a 386 running a DOS C compiler from a book at home after school. You kids these days have it easy.
Ahh. Stuff that 99.9% (rounding down) of programmers won't even have to give a shit about anymore.
Part of the problem with CS degrees nowadays is that they are useless in the real world.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ahh. Stuff that 99.9% of programmers won't even have to give a shit about anymore.
Part of the problem with CS degrees nowadays is that they are useless in the real world.
Yea, I never really did anything with pointers professionally. But knowing how they work and how the data structures work made my life a lot easier in general.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use pointers everyday and also we live with memory management. I feel like I'm in the stone age - then again BIOS is the stone age.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea, I never really did anything with pointers professionally. But knowing how they work and how the data structures work made my life a lot easier in general.
Yep. Hate using them, glad I know how they work. I think it makes me a better programmer knowing about things like memory management even if I have some framework or language doing it for me.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
At a conceptual level pointers are pretty trivial but in actual implementation thats a whole different ballpark

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I use pointers everyday and also we live with memory management. I feel like I'm in the stone age - then again BIOS is the stone age.
You're not alone buddy. I mean, I wish you were alone
frown.png
ughh....

I'd show you guys the Assembly to COBOL language port/rewrite someone wrote 10 years ago, but I want to throw up every time I open that module.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ahh. Stuff that 99.9% (rounding down) of programmers won't even have to give a shit about anymore.
Not sure what you mean. It's pretty hard to work with C/C++ and not use pointers, and those two languages comprise of a massive chunk of programming.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I gotta be honest. I had no idea Python had such a large share of the market.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I gotta be honest. I had no idea Python had such a large share of the market.
Python has django (and flask/bottle) which are (i am pretty sure) the third most popular back end frameworks (PHP/Laveral or w/e and Ruby on Rails being the first two) and any sort of data analysis, which is massively popular right now, is done with python.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
As is ours, which is primarily what I work on. I learned perl first and moving to python was such a revelation. Fuck perl. I'm a little relieved python is that big. I sometimes get a little down because I'm "only" learning python and I had switched to software to strengthen my programming skills.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't know if I know any full time Python programmers. We do Python for some one-off scripting where we don't feel like doing it in Bash/Perl but I don't know anyone that sits at their desk and chugs away Python all day erry day. I wonder if the results are slanted because many companies look for Python knowledge because it is pretty powerful and flexible but that isn't the primary language they use.