IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Question: is there a data structure that is sort of like a Queue or Stack but is random access? For example, I request an element at a particular index, that element is retrieved and automatically removed from the set.

I can create such a beast with a custom Dictionary class with some added logic to remove the key after retrieval. But was just curious if there was a formal name for such a beast.
You kind of already answered your own question. Dictionary, List, HashTable, etc. There are a lot of collection types in C#, you just have to call the dictionary.remove method with the index instead of doing a pop. It's not really any different other than passing the actual index rather than built in FIFO or LIFO with stacks and queues.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
remove method with the index instead of doing a pop. It's not really any different other than passing the actual index rather than built in FIFO or LIFO with stacks and queues.
Right, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it wasn't necessary (not that it would be a huge effort - I wrote something in 2 minutes that does the job).

I sometimes have to code device interfaces which involves storing control ids and needing to know which control ids I've received and which ones I need to send a response to. They aren't in any particular order so a queue or stack won't work since they have strict ordering.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You'll want a dictionary, vector or list depending on your particular case. To my knowledge a random-access data structure that innately removes components when they're accessed doesn't exist in .NET and it's such a rare use case and so easy to implement yourself I doubt there's a well-used library with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Since the topic of popularity of languages came up before, here is something else with connection to that topic:

Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2015
The occupations breakdown was surprising. Are only 2.9% of people on stack overflow embedded developers?
frown.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How many people do embeded in total? I didnt think there are too many people doing it. Especially when you compare the numbers to web developers.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
The occupations breakdown was surprising. Are only 2.9% of people on stack overflow embedded developers?
frown.png
I was just looking at that article the other day. Here's a question, how many business applications--specifically those related to Data and Data Manipulation(things easily replaced with relational databases)--are still written in Assembly? I'm starting to feel like I work in the Twilight Zone.

Citz

Silver Squire
I would understand if you were still working on a mainframe with some retarded script language but assembly really is the twilight zone when it comes to data/transactional applications.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Right, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it wasn't necessary (not that it would be a huge effort - I wrote something in 2 minutes that does the job).

I sometimes have to code device interfaces which involves storing control ids and needing to know which control ids I've received and which ones I need to send a response to. They aren't in any particular order so a queue or stack won't work since they have strict ordering.
Take any c# list and inherit it, then override the get method, or the index accessor. make it so the get method deletes at the end.. boom problem solved.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
You haven't lived until you manually track down erroneous data through a VSAM record filled with HEX, binary bit fields hiding in bytes (COMP), COMP-3 compressed fields, and sometimes with randomly uncompressed bytes thrown about.

I flip bits by hand, code is for sissies
I'm closer to this reality than you could fathom, or at least would want to.