IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also what is the deal with all Indians driving champaign or silver colored Corollas or Camry. They also all have a box of tissues in their back window.

Vinen

God is dead
Also what is the deal with all Indians driving champaign or silver colored Corollas or Camry. They also all have a box of tissues in their back window.
Indians are more obsessed with the colour gold then Rappers.

Tenks

They love silver as well. They even eat it. I had an indian contractor who brought in ... I guess maybe like a traditional Indian cookie and it had like a very thin silver paste ontop of it. Strangest thing I've ever had. Something about how they believe silver is good for the digestive tract.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I drive a silver accord and might have a box of tissues in the back window =\

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That is brilliant. I normally kept around gym cloths for that, but it was getting harder to explain.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
We have an Indian female working with us. She's very nice and intelligent. Only complaint I have is she doesn't use deodorant.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just found a box of 100 galaxy control systems hid cards in the trash at the office, they're new but programmed to our old system. Are they worth anything?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Randomly, in the middle of tracking down a bug, I see references to a global constant named DOT. What is it? Take a guess.

It's: "."

Yes it's a period. Or a dot. The actual call to it is "<classname>.DOT". It would have taken less time to actually write out "." when necessary.

I think I found my first coding pet peeve.

I mean, seriously... what the fuck?

Someone please tell me this is best practice so I can at least understand why it was done.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My only guess it that 'foo..' would have looked even stupider. And probably made the compiler angry.

Tenks

I've recently been using Titan as a graph-based database and search engine (well, Elastic does that) and the API for Java is like a Scala backend or something so it isn't uncommon for method names to just be underscores. It is bizzare.

Like that is how you launch a MapReduce against an HDFS file

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Randomly, in the middle of tracking down a bug, I see references to a global constant named DOT. What is it? Take a guess.

It's: "."

Yes it's a period. Or a dot. The actual call to it is "<classname>.DOT". It would have taken less time to actually write out "." when necessary.

I think I found my first coding pet peeve.

I mean, seriously... what the fuck?

Someone please tell me this is best practice so I can at least understand why it was done.
So to be clear without the global macro the code would be "YourClass..()"? If that's the case, then the DOT makes it a lot more clear that you're calling a function. I don't do a lot of coding in Java, so I have no idea why you would have a call that looks like that in the first place.

Citz

Silver Squire
Or it is someone going overboard with the "magic strings are evil" notion. Could have written "." instead. A bit odd to have that in your code though.

moontayle

Golden Squire
So to be clear without the global macro the code would be "YourClass..()"? If that's the case, then the DOT makes it a lot more clear that you're calling a function. I don't do a lot of coding in Java, so I have no idea why you would have a call that looks like that in the first place.
I cannot mentally fathom the existence of this constant. With Android programming if you need something to have Application level context, you basically create a class that extends Application and throw it in there (more to it than that, but that's the gist). Whoever put together this app decide that "." needed to be a global constant. So they can call Application.DOT when they need a fucking dot. Instead of, you know, just putting a dot. And it's actually used. It's not like this is a random troll constant or a method like "isagoat()".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is the value a '.' or in other words, ascii value 46?

I don't know why you wouldn't just write '.' You may as well make:
at that point.