IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Agile scrum environments are the worst of them, from my experience. If you have a manager that actually buys into this line of bullshit, usually they'll arrange the office accordingly: completely open cubes (or tables, which is ridiculous) where there's no privacy and you can hear every conversation, phone call, and passerby.
You've described our environment to a "T". Open environment with tables. We sit across from one another so it always looks like someone is peeping at you over their monitor. Plus, the constant talking between the guy on my right and his friend (who he got hired) on my left. Thankfully I can work from home most of the time. But if I was required to be in the office there is no way I could get any real work done.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'm glad I got my exposure to methodologies at my old job, even though I wasn't really a part of the process. Where I work now, I'm it. Everyone else in "software" is also "it" for their respective areas. I put up a personal little Kan ban board to keep track of shit I've been working on, but that's about the extent of it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So random question. Thinking about learning C# for some hobbyist stuff on my own. My focus has always been embedded/hardware/firmware and not really windows programming or any other os level stuff. Heard C# was nice for Windows programming.

Can anyone recommend a good free resource to get started in C#? What about Windows development in general? I guess I'm not too worried about picking up the syntax, as I've been able to pick up every language I know with relative ease after learning C, but I feel like this might be a new world.

Additionally if there are any frameworks I should learn (heard I should learn. NET) or consider other languages let me know.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
With having a programming backgroundC# Tutorials (C#)would be a good place to start. I wouldn't suggest the Visual C# Walkthroughs link there though. Web Forms and Winforms are basically legacy things atm and wouldn't be useful unless you needed to go work on some old application.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Additionally if there are any frameworks I should learn (heard I should learn. NET) or consider other languages let me know.
C# is a .NET language (as well as VisualBasic and F#). If you're interested in web development then ASP.NET MVC is what you should study. For desktop apps go WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation).

Are there free compilers for C#? I assume it's a compiled language but I don't know
Just go download Visual Studio. The free version is good enough. C# compiles into .NET IL byte-code.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
So random question. Thinking about learning C# for some hobbyist stuff on my own. My focus has always been embedded/hardware/firmware and not really windows programming or any other os level stuff. Heard C# was nice for Windows programming.

Can anyone recommend a good free resource to get started in C#? What about Windows development in general? I guess I'm not too worried about picking up the syntax, as I've been able to pick up every language I know with relative ease after learning C, but I feel like this might be a new world.

C# was developed by Microsoft for use in .NET, so if you start to learn C#, you'll almost definitely be doing it within the context of the .NET framework.

So, the good, free resource for learning C# is going to be Microsoft itself.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.c...pp-development

If you're mostly programming in C in your day-to-day, you might not have much exposure to an object oriented language. So this particular set of lessons may be a good place to start:

https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy....beginners-8295

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
C# is a .NET language (as well as VisualBasic and F#). If you're interested in web development then ASP.NET MVC is what you should study. For desktop apps go WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation).

Just go download Visual Studio. The free version is good enough. C# compiles into .NET IL byte-code.
I got the book you recommended for ASP.NET MVC. Pretty good stuff. It was my first programming book (I've done on-line stuff like what I linked for noodle, but never a book). I think I'm about ready to start my site. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
C# was developed by Microsoft for use in .NET, so if you start to learn C#, you'll almost definitely be doing it within the context of the .NET framework.

So, the good, free resource for learning C# is going to be Microsoft itself.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.c...pp-development

If you're mostly programming in C in your day-to-day, you might not have much exposure to an object oriented language. So this particular set of lessons may be a good place to start:

https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy....beginners-8295
Nice thanks. I used to write POST at work too which was all c++ so I do have some oop knowledge. Could use some lessons though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After you've been in the software engineering world for so long and worked for a few companies, you'll eventually realize all the methodologies, all the ways to organize or coordinate are mostly lines of bullshit. That bullshit isn't intended to actually change the way development is done; it's intended for resume filters and business buzzword usage. It's intended for the salespeople and consultants, not for the actual engineers coding. The actual engineers coding will still in the office at 3am on a Friday night fixing shit during crunch time, regardless of whether his manager is spewing the agile scrum, waterfall, rapid prototyping bs -- whatever he's spewing, the matters of fact of the actual engineer and his development won't change.

Agile scrum environments are the worst of them, from my experience. If you have a manager that actually buys into this line of bullshit, usually they'll arrange the office accordingly: completely open cubes (or tables, which is ridiculous) where there's no privacy and you can hear every conversation, phone call, and passerby.

The first step to becoming a real software engineer is recognizing the circle of bullshit that passes through via the business and managing side. It's usually cyclical and based on the retardedness of the manager.
Sometimes I feel like the benefit of a group switching to a more agile process is that it stops developers from fucking off too much. "Oh your 2 month task is now broken up into 3 day sprints where you announce what you're going to be working on in a standing meeting and then have to not show up empty handed in three days or look foolish and now all of a sudden progress is being made."

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That is the actual value of scrum, making developers accountable. Once you make it visible, how long task take, you will quickly see who is dead-weight in your team and who is the superstar. Not that you didn't knew beforehand, but now you have actual statistical evidence as a manager. That has a big value, it comes however at a price, the price of a never ending task list to do. I did scrum for 5 years, with a 3 week cycle, and the downside was that it did not allowed for doing somethnig that took more than 7 business days, but that was our own fault for not programming it a way that it could be partially released, and also a failure of management of never allowing iterations to be delayed.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That is the actual value of scrum, making developers accountable. Once you make it visible, how long task take, you will quickly see who is dead-weight in your team and who is the superstar. Not that you didn't knew beforehand, but now you have actual statistical evidence as a manager. That has a big value, it comes however at a price, the price of a never ending task list to do. I did scrum for 5 years, with a 3 week cycle, and the downside was that it did not allowed for doing somethnig that took more than 7 business days, but that was our own fault for not programming it a way that it could be partially released, and also a failure of management of never allowing iterations to be delayed.
We do sprints but we don't always release what we've accomplished. So while everybody is working on a sprint, they aren't always working on a piece that's going to be in the next release, or if it is part of it it'll be dead code that's not accessible via the UI if it isn't complete. We don't follow Agile to a T though, we generally follow it as a guideline but if it isn't going to work for what we're doing we do what works.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I like agile/scrum. However if you have a shitty manager, shitty requirements and a shitty product staff it can be really difficult to succeed. But if you have a groomed backlog, well developed and testable stories and things broken into appropriate sizes it can really make it easy to manage the work and estimate the work. And like someone said it makes developers accountable. We all agreed this issue should take you 2 story points. If you're a week deep and going "oh yeah I'm still working on it" people will know you either need help or you're not doing anything. As one instructor told me once agile and daily standups are an attempt to make it so a developer can only lie to you in 8 hour intervals instead of 40 hour work week intervals.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I hate to agree with Dumar but I don't think the methodology you use matters that much; the critical factors are manager quality (managing expectations, getting clear requirements, prohibiting scope creep), developer/architect quality (creating maintainable, scalable, and modular code), and QA process quality (preventing severe bugs from making it to production). Whatever bullshit you use to communicate in between those things and coordinate is just fine, I don't think I've ever noticed a big difference if those things are in place. I've done agile/scrum and I've done straight up waterfall and I've done haphazard just do shit as you get it with no real process and all were equally viable as long as management had their shit together and the developers were good.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really dislike the open walled "pod" style workstations. I get why companies do it. It saves money on space and makes it so your manager can hawk what you're doing. But the reasons they try and pull off of "collaboration" and "learning via osmosis" is actual bullshit. Its like they saw sexy tech start ups having 10 developers on a long table developing and decided the only reason they got software out the door was the collaboration. It wasn't the fact they couldn't afford cubes or a larger work space nor the fact that they didn't have 10 layers of management to get something into prod. No it was the long table. The bastion of development. The alter to which the programmer gods listen.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I hate to agree with Dumar but I don't think the methodology you use matters that much; the critical factors are manager quality (managing expectations, getting clear requirements, prohibiting scope creep), developer/architect quality (creating maintainable, scalable, and modular code),.
Our product owner is pretty knowledgeable, but our BA is kinda clueless. And, like I mentioned before, none of the developers or testers truly understand the domain so requirements that come out of discovery end up being ambiguous and incomplete. And, to top it off, my particular team is comprised of junior developers. They wouldn't personally categorize themselves as such, but I can tell their OOP skills are minimal.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I agree it's about accountability, but that's not my problem -- that's a manager's. You're not putting me in a cafeteria-style work environment and making me report out everyday simply because you don't trust me. Where is the accountability when the code isn't close to ready to ship because management mishandled expectations or the schedule and has the dev team in crunch mode for weeks to months? Where is the accountability when it needs to get out the door and I'm working over weekends?

Anytime somebody mentions scrum to me I say fine, but you give me a walled cube or an office, not a cafeteria seat. And if you'll notice, I can almost guarantee you the manager or PM will have some type of office.

Vinen

God is dead
I agree it's about accountability, but that's not my problem -- that's a manager's. You're not putting me in a cafeteria-style work environment and making me report out everyday simply because you don't trust me. Where is the accountability when the code isn't close to ready to ship because management mishandled expectations or the schedule and has the dev team in crunch mode for weeks to months? Where is the accountability when it needs to get out the door and I'm working over weekends?

Anytime somebody mentions scrum to me I say fine, but you give me a walled cube or an office, not a cafeteria seat. And if you'll notice, I can almost guarantee you the manager or PM will have some type of office.
As someone who is 50/50 Management/Technical ("Architect" Level Technical lead at a very well known company...) I've seen it both sides. I'd honestly love to see many managers and technical people fired. I can name approximately zero times where I have seen someone let go outside of gross negligence.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I can safely say I would rather quit work entirely and live off my investments than go back to work in an open plan office. I've done it, I didn't like it then and I don't have to tolerate it now. Shut the door on your way out, faggot.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think I'd be ok with an open office if my coworker didn't talk so much.

"Hmmm, that's weird" Nope, sorry, not engaging you. I don't have 15 minutes to waste away listening to stories you've already told me.