IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm kind of surprised you're still concerned with the "work on cool stuff" line. I kind of stopped caring about that after a few years being out of college. I guess if I had the option and all things equal to work on interesting stuff obviously I'd take that one but I wouldn't make too many concessions for it.
9 years out of college, it's a big deal to me. I work with autonomous ground vehicles and ATM I won't take a job that doesn't involve it. It's also an industry that has a huge amount of growth currently and will continue to do so, so I feel really comfortable in that industry.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That sounds more like having a preference to working in a certain industry which I believe is different than Khane's use of the phrase. Like I'd never go to work somewhere that didn't use Java and mostly open source software but that is because it is my preference.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Likewise I can't really see myself working on anything but firmware. They opened up opportunities here to work on converged infrastructure stuff that was more web/widget/etc stuff and I passed. There were a few guys frothing at the mouths to get into that stuff, so to each their own.

Vinen

God is dead
Likewise I can't really see myself working on anything but firmware. They opened up opportunities here to work on converged infrastructure stuff that was more web/widget/etc stuff and I passed. There were a few guys frothing at the mouths to get into that stuff, so to each their own.
Gotta agree. I enjoy working in Systems Architecture (ex: HA, "cloud-scale", etc...)

Thankfully, nearly every company has this problem now so I just get to avoid working for Social Media Sewage.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm chomping at the bit to use the newer web technologies: AngularJS, NodeJS, Bootstrap, etc. etc. But we're stuck with ASP.NET WebForms and I know, deep down, they will never give us the go-ahead to write something new. And that is what's frustrating is that it's difficult to learn something new without having something to apply it to.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Could be worse, you could be stuck working with tcl. One my previous jobs at IBM, some of their back-end manufacturing was using that to run the tools. Horrid horrid language, harder to read than perl regex in chinese.

Got me thinking though, will people 20 - 30 years from now bemoan usage of language we currently love? Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc. Or has language development advanced and simultaneously slowed enough that current languages have the adaptability to keep up? I'm still surprised C/C++ is still releasing major updates. And thankful, since my employer's main product is a static analysis tool for those languages.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I seriously wish I went into cs instead of medicine. 10 yrs of training , 250k+ debt, salaries that are curbed by Obama + malpractice insurance, and now I lose on bidding wars for homes constantly to 20 something gay coder couples in the Bay Area. Six figure salaries plus random ass huge pay days from this or that buyout, and plus they don't have any debt to pay off.

I might try to go back someday and restart in the cs world instead, but since I'm not long out of training I feel like I need to do this for a bit first. Just getting started, even though I'm older than most 6 figure senior coders, is damn depressing.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Could be worse, you could be stuck working with tcl. One my previous jobs at IBM, some of their back-end manufacturing was using that to run the tools. Horrid horrid language, harder to read than perl regex in chinese.

Got me thinking though, will people 20 - 30 years from now bemoan usage of language we currently love? Java, Python, C++, Ruby, etc. Or has language development advanced and simultaneously slowed enough that current languages have the adaptability to keep up? I'm still surprised C/C++ is still releasing major updates. And thankful, since my employer's main product is a static analysis tool for those languages.
I can only really speak for C++, but a lot of the new additions being added are going to make it a really solid choice. Right now if you use unique_ptr/shared_ptr's for your memory allocation you can pretty much avoid a lot of the memory pit falls that make C++ difficult to deal with, and you get all the performance benefits. They're adding future/promises in C++/17 which will allow for things like for loops that have the data fetched in one thread, and acted on in another and it'll be possible to just call functions with directives and those function calls are executed in a different thread. No longer do you have to do any crazy thread management, it just works. So C++ is fairly adaptable from my perspective, though it's weak out of the box libraries are definitely a negative but anyone doing C++ should be using boost as it's pretty much the "functionality" extension of the standard library.

I don't see C++ dying anytime in the near future (5-10 years). Why the TCL hate? I used to write IRC bot scripts in it.. I don't remember it being that bad! Though I probably feel pretty nostalgic about it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The syntax for tcl is pretty bad. Maybe it was the specific codebase I was using. I could make python pretty unreadable if I tried hard enough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You haven't seen unreadable until you work in a Chinese C code base where they seemingly love to use two letter variables and comments with a mix of Chinese characters and broken English

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I doubt C/C++ will be put next to fortran 30 years from now. There's languages that do better than C/C++ in a ton of different fields, but the closest I've seen to a real contender for what C/C++ is good at is Java and they are still wildly different enough that they won't supplant each other.

Maybe it's just hopeful thinking because C/C++ is my jam and I'm comfortable with all the libraries built on it from STL, Boost, PCL, OpenCV, ROS etc.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I seriously wish I went into cs instead of medicine. 10 yrs of training , 250k+ debt, salaries that are curbed by Obama + malpractice insurance, and now I lose on bidding wars for homes constantly to 20 something gay coder couples in the Bay Area. Six figure salaries plus random ass huge pay days from this or that buyout, and plus they don't have any debt to pay off.

I might try to go back someday and restart in the cs world instead, but since I'm not long out of training I feel like I need to do this for a bit first. Just getting started, even though I'm older than most 6 figure senior coders, is damn depressing.
Thats a microeconomy of the bay area because good coders are in such demand there. It's not like that anywhere else in the US. Whats your specialty? Bunch of my in laws are doctors and they're first year out of fellowship accepting offers for 500k+. Even the family law dude is getting 250k. These are employee positions so their malpractice is covered, but I asked and for the radiologist its like 20k a year. Fucking joke. I never made more than 200-ish as a wildly successful contract software architect.

So, move out of the bay area, you're apparently oversaturated with doctors there. Doctors typically make less in desirable places to live, just the facts of life.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
First year out of fellowship making 500k+?? You'll have to be more specific, because I can't think of any specialty where that's the case. Ignoring the fact that by far most doctors will never make that much, the small contingent who do are usually surgical subspecialties (and specific ones like plastics) that take years building up a referral base and private practice.
I've never heard of an employed position at a hospital with that kind of pay, right out of fellowship. Maybe texas.

Malpractice is only a small part of costs. There's also tail (which can be 100k or more ) everytime you switch jobs , and the huge burden of paying off loans from training.

Also wanted to point out one more thing - even assuming those absurdly anomalous salaries you quote are true (and if they are they are very much the exception and not the norm), by the time they are done with fellowship , typical age is going to be 32-35, maybe older for something like neurosurg. Up until that time, they were making 50k or so - when you put that against making six figures for 10 years earlier, and any compounded savings, and no debts to unload, the difference isn't as crazy.

I can get you some physician salary info if you want but trust me 500k is nowhere near normal. I will concede that Bay Area is exceptionally bad (I know subspecialized rads being started at or below 200k by predatory corporate groups or asshole private practices ) but 500k is just as insane. There are definitely some older folks who make that much as they squeeze the shitty job market for what it's worth and underpay new hires. But for people freshly coming in, it's terrible

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
First year out of fellowship making 500k+?? You'll have to be more specific, because I can't think of any specialty where that's the case. Ignoring the fact that by far most doctors will never make that much, the small contingent who do are usually surgical subspecialties (and specific ones like plastics) that take years building up a referral base and private practice.
I've never heard of an employed position at a hospital with that kind of pay, right out of fellowship. Maybe texas.

Malpractice is only a small part of costs. There's also tail (which can be 100k or more ) everytime you switch jobs , and the huge burden of paying off loans from training.
Radiology guy is making 520k with 10 weeks of vacation (I reviewed his offer letter), pain guy is making 630k and being allowed to invest in ambulatory surgical centers which pay about 10% per year on investment, family doc is making 250-ish? Pathologist is making 300-ish. These are verified offer letters that I have seen. The pain and radiology guys are in TX but not Dallas. Big cities pay less. The pathologist is in the central valley of california.

Lol 200k in loans big fucking deal when you can make 200+ (or 500+) in a year. How is that a huge burden? Try making 60-80k forever like the other 98% of employees in normal jobs. Fucking doctors acting like they're poor crack me up.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Those numbers are not anywhere near average though.
Those averages are not right I think. I probably know 20+ doctors and every one of them is wealthy. I think they must include retired doctors, doctors that are deliberately not working or some shit. Its not in doctors interest to let the public know how wealthy they are.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's very easy to lie on the Internet. I'm giving a huge benefit of the doubt here. People assuming docs are overpaid pisses me off enough as it is. Spreading filth about 500-600k starting salaries and using that to justify arguments is just trolling as far as I'm concerned.
Your in-laws, are an incredible exception, so much so much so that I find it hard to believe you are not lying. I am a rad, and I VERY aware of our salary situation across the country. And when I said Texas is a little better, I would say maybe -maybe - 400k starting, in some shithole in central Texas, is believeable. And most everywhere else in the country - not just the Bay Area - is less. Starting salaries, even in the Midwest - we are talking 2s to low 3. Now had you said 'rad in practice for 5-10' years that's different. But starting salaries I know extremely well.
The numbers you describe we're accurate from say 2005, and again that would have just been for flyover country. But now, even for flyover that is way off.
Do me a favor and post your 520k salary at auntminnie.com, will be fun seeing the responses