IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Well this project keeps getting more retarded by the second. We are getting close to the end and I have been the sole developer on this effort for our team. As my other team members can't even read python apparently. I keep telling the director that this is pretty ridiculous because the other team has 12 people actively coding on it.

I've made a ton of progress but I keep getting entirely new features dumped on me that would normally take a regular team maybe two developers and a sprint or more to do. But dude is just like, how hard can it be just add in this? Which I am getting really irritated by. For some reason he thinks we can reuse the other team's code but we really can't. They have entirely different use cases than we do and spending time going through their shit is actually a waste of time, so I stopped doing it.

He ain't listening So the pressure on COMPLETE FASTER just increases.
first time GIF

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well this project keeps getting more retarded by the second. We are getting close to the end and I have been the sole developer on this effort for our team. As my other team members can't even read python apparently. I keep telling the director that this is pretty ridiculous because the other team has 12 people actively coding on it.

I've made a ton of progress but I keep getting entirely new features dumped on me that would normally take a regular team maybe two developers and a sprint or more to do. But dude is just like, how hard can it be just add in this? Which I am getting really irritated by. For some reason he thinks we can reuse the other team's code but we really can't. They have entirely different use cases than we do and spending time going through their shit is actually a waste of time, so I stopped doing it.

He ain't listening So the pressure on COMPLETE FASTER just increases.
Sounds quite similar to my role. I'm the feature owner for a fairly sizable project but we also rely on a few other teams for their firmware role in the solution. They've got hundreds of devs... I've got 2.

I'm supporting it across 3 generations of servers so I can't actually code much anymore, so really 1 dev. I actually mentioned this to my direct manager who wasnt even aware I was running the show.

It got to the point I had to setup a 1:1 with our senior director to see how we can help me out. It's causing undue stress and I'm working real long hours.

I absolutely don't allow scope creep though. I make people submit changes formally through our company process.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but this kinda stuff is a huge pain in the ass.

I manage QA for a static analysis product, so we have a lot of real world code in our automated regression testing. A fair amount of them now fail to build with gcc 14.
Yea having some assgoblinry as well

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea having some assgoblinry as well

I'm happy to build our regression tests with a different compiler. We even go to great lengths to ensure a frankly retarded amount of compilers are available if the tests needs one. The problem in my case is that these tests were building on archlinux, so you can't freeze the system compiler and most of our standalones are for Debian.

Perhaps I haven't worked with gcc and C enough, but this seems an odd decision given the behavior of most conf tests.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just moved back to C in the past year or so. Compiler options can really be tricksy. At first I had no warnings at all, and then later I somehow wasn't getting one for setting a variable from a void return.

Like:

C:
void    blah(int gack)
{
    //do stuff
}

void    blort(int blapt)
{
    int    flerb    =blah(blapt);

//do stuff with flerb
    flerb++;
}

Somehow that was making the stack get off by 4 so things went super haywire, and I wasn't even getting a warning for it.

I think going to the latest C standard fixed it. Like -std=gnu2x

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
C used to have an implicit int rule where it assumed int type on things that were not forward declared. They removed this in later versions.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
debating accepting this new job...

current job: lead developer for enterprise web applications for gov contract, not 24/7 work, remote but i have an office, $111k basically 2% annually forever. no more real growth in terms of positions it's a tiny company. its pretty stressful because i do the work of easily 3 people. i basically choose every technology used

new job: 1 of the big defense contractors helping the war machine. not really quite sure what im building, but def will be using older technologies and probably have no say in whats used. cubicles, no remote, 15min drive. i'd imagine at times it'll be very slow/boring. $137k with matching 401k. opportunities to go up higher than a senior principle engineer.

not really quite sure what to do, any advice? really not looking forward to cubicles vs my home but where im at is dead end for sure

Palum

what Suineg set it to
debating accepting this new job...

current job: lead developer for enterprise web applications for gov contract, not 24/7 work, remote but i have an office, $111k basically 2% annually forever. no more real growth in terms of positions it's a tiny company. its pretty stressful because i do the work of easily 3 people. i basically choose every technology used

new job: 1 of the big defense contractors helping the war machine. not really quite sure what im building, but def will be using older technologies and probably have no say in whats used. cubicles, no remote, 15min drive. i'd imagine at times it'll be very slow/boring. $137k with matching 401k. opportunities to go up higher than a senior principle engineer.

not really quite sure what to do, any advice? really not looking forward to cubicles vs my home but where im at is dead end for sure
Honestly this is really a personal priorities thing, but that much of a pay bump is enticing. My concern with small govt contractors is most are only losing one prime contract away from going out of business.

Personally I hate 100% WFH combined with no travel, so for me the decision would be a no brainer. It's also a tolerance thing, if you think the new position could lead to a better WFH position in the future.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Raytheon, Draper or Lockheed aint going anywhere if its one of those bros.

Either one, if you say on accepting that you want to eventually get to a hybrid work from home after probation or whatever - they most likely will okay that as a note to discuss later...better than nothing on that.

Cubes are fine if you can heads down, go in, work, leave...and that seems to be the draw? less stress? but you have the ?? of platform you may not get what you like?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Insane pay *and* getting sucked off? How do I sign up?
In my experience the pay was definitely insane in a bad way.

Haven't been here for awhile but just as some updates. Still gainfully employed at the blue behemoth running a program called software defined persistent memory, kind of cool tech. We are woefully understaffed and overworked. I had 1x1s with both my direct manager and our senior director this week to ask for help. I was promised lots of things but I'm guessing none of t will pan out.

I've been #1 on my boss' list to get promoted for awhile now and because of budget the company has refused a few times. I'm doing the work of someone 1 or 2 pay grades above where I am. I barely write code, mostly architect and work on the big picture. Because of this I have been interviewing elsewhere.

So far I've interviewed at Nvidia, Microsoft, Lenovo, oracle, and a few other places. Nothing has really panned out, though I got very close with Nvidia until they balked. I think these companies are looking for unicorns in this market. I'm also finding phone screens are going exceedingly well then I get ghosted.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Haven't been here for awhile but just as some updates. Still gainfully employed at the blue behemoth running a program called software defined persistent memory, kind of cool tech. We are woefully understaffed and overworked. I had 1x1s with both my direct manager and our senior director this week to ask for help. I was promised lots of things but I'm guessing none of t will pan out.

I've been #1 on my boss' list to get promoted for awhile now and because of budget the company has refused a few times. I'm doing the work of someone 1 or 2 pay grades above where I am. I barely write code, mostly architect and work on the big picture. Because of this I have been interviewing elsewhere.

So far I've interviewed at Nvidia, Microsoft, Lenovo, oracle, and a few other places. Nothing has really panned out, though I got very close with Nvidia until they balked. I think these companies are looking for unicorns in this market. I'm also finding phone screens are going exceedingly well then I get ghosted.
Have you tried identifying as a black lesbian? DEI might be losing power right now, but for big tech companies it will probably still be infesting HR for a year or so yet.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I bitched about this behavior from recruiters when I last went job hunting a few years ago. It definitely has only gotten worse.

I am still waiting on my promotion, which I do know is coming just not when. After my manager got himself fired over drunkenly ranting to the CIO about compensation packages after we got access to the compensation/benefits system for a project. So I interviewed and hired my own direct manager for the third time here!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The market seems to be cooling for senior devs. My opinion of this is most of us go job hunting because we aren't being compensated properly and/or are overworked with no real advancement prospects.

If you're honest in interviews about these things, specifically, your experience and expertise no longer matters. You get ghosted because these other companies want people they can treat the same way.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have a call with the senior director today and I need to bitch at him about some of that.

I want him to explain to me where all of this pressure is coming from. Any request I get comes with endless "why isn't this finished yet, this should be done yesterday!" nagging. Despite having no requirements, no timelines established, or anything. While at the same time if this was so critically important that it had to be completed yesterday and it's not being finished fast enough you still invest no more resources into the effort and I am working on it totally alone. While also piling stupid meetings on me all day.

Like why? What is the purpose of this behavior? If there's someone 10x more capable than me who can crank out all this shit the same day with no requirements, expectations, and on things he's never used before by all means make that guy do it.

Here's how psychotic it's become. I got a "critical production support ticket" yesterday. With the added nomenclature of this has to be done today drop everything and get to it.

So I do. I drop everything, I complete this largely tedious and performance focused production support request within the same day. The very next question I am asked is why didn't I run this through all of our environments and test all of it, create documentation, write ups, blah blah. But it was also supposed to be finished by EOD, which it was... you can't have both of these things at the same time because I am not working until midnight on a Wednesday for no reason.

The requestor then claims she never said it had to be done by EOD and those words never came out of her mouth. So I had to screencap her own stupid ass slack messages to me back to her... its really stupid.

• 1Tiresome

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"Her"

Everyday I get more and more work "redpilled" because of the bullshit female managers impose on people with no explanation or validity.

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have a call with the senior director today and I need to bitch at him about some of that.

I want him to explain to me where all of this pressure is coming from. Any request I get comes with endless "why isn't this finished yet, this should be done yesterday!" nagging. Despite having no requirements, no timelines established, or anything. While at the same time if this was so critically important that it had to be completed yesterday and it's not being finished fast enough you still invest no more resources into the effort and I am working on it totally alone. While also piling stupid meetings on me all day.

Like why? What is the purpose of this behavior? If there's someone 10x more capable than me who can crank out all this shit the same day with no requirements, expectations, and on things he's never used before by all means make that guy do it.

Here's how psychotic it's become. I got a "critical production support ticket" yesterday. With the added nomenclature of this has to be done today drop everything and get to it.

So I do. I drop everything, I complete this largely tedious and performance focused production support request within the same day. The very next question I am asked is why didn't I run this through all of our environments and test all of it, create documentation, write ups, blah blah. But it was also supposed to be finished by EOD, which it was... you can't have both of these things at the same time because I am not working until midnight on a Wednesday for no reason.

The requestor then claims she never said it had to be done by EOD and those words never came out of her mouth. So I had to screencap her own stupid ass slack messages to me back to her... its really stupid.
IMG_8889.gif

Manager asks for estimate for new feature, give estimate, “sounds high”, readjust, as usual doesn’t go according to plan, manager asks opinion on moving timeline, I say “looking at historical data we absolutely should”, manager ignores me, must get feature out despite it not being mission critical, we ship a half baked feature, I spend the next 2 months ironing out issues due to shipping half baked feature. Management assures me lesson learned and “we will no longer will work backwards from deadlines”, slight hope for change emerges, cycle repeats.

😫