IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Eeeh it really depends on your software release cycle too.

Kanban is great for hosted/cloud web apps/offerings. You can push changes right away that affect all of your customers and given that it's on your side of the business (and don't have to worry about 10 different implementations on different platforms like on-prem). Good testing coverage is great. Major points if you use Git tools to manage your current release version.

Scrum is great for on-prem offerings (meaning you download a software to install). You get more time to test/integrate between releases and you can commit to certain deliverables. Scrum can also work for cloud offerings too.

I have a team that I manage that uses Kanban and another that uses Scrum, the first one works mostly in a cloud setting and its great, we pretty much push live constantly. The other team has set timelines for deliverables (such as we need this by the end of the month for a deal, or before a conference). I can see my portfolio and check if we're on track for the releases (on both ends).

I do say, in the Kanban one given that we pretty much push live almost everyday our test coverage has to be top notch and usually my testers are more worked than Scrum testers. Scrum allows for proper planning and other departments love it (such as marketing) because I can tell them when they'll get certain features so they can plan around it, however Scrum is a nightmare integration testing(given that not everybody merges back up the tree daily).

In all, your program managers are the ones that need to be on top of shit. Properly plan and break down your stories; measure velocity and complexity, be on top of your blocks, keep your stakeholders in the loop. Don't hesitate to say no.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Does anyone else get absolutely sick of working on the same project? I'm sure we all do, of course. But for me it's the disgust of having to fight with a 10+ year old application built on terrible code and poorly implemented, obsolete technologies. There's zero hope of ever working with any of the newer web frameworks (hell, I'd get excited for anything that's justdifferent. Java Server Pages? SURE!!) And I look at the other developers and can't help but wonder, "Why are you still here?" If any of them are even remotely interested in software development, why haven't they moved on?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is frustrating. One thing that can make it better is the compensation / benefits you are getting for it. Other than that, just leave to another place. There are plenty of shops with the technology you want. If you are going to be stuck working with such old technology, try to find yourself a way to be happy. That is why legacy code is expensive to maintain, not because is hard, but because no one wants to work on them, so business has to throw more money than reasonable for the equivalent work.

Dont call it legacy, old or obsolete.. call it niche!!!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not really surprising with the way things have been going. Lot of re-orging has been happening already, so I was expecting it.

The best part is that article came out before we received the internal announcements.

Vinen

God is dead
Not really surprising with the way things have been going. Lot of re-orging has been happening already, so I was expecting it.

The best part is that article came out before we received the internal announcements.
The announcement went public with the earnings statement. (I saw it yesterday around 4ish when I was hammering F5 on the VMW stock ticker lol)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Press leaks is how rumors of cuts at IBM were verified. Local Burlington paper was almost never wrong.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No company would tell the employees about something like that first. It always needs to be announced publicly first. Hi2u insider trading

Vinen

God is dead
No I understand, the timing felt "different" is all I'll say.

@vinen, two open scrum master positions!
My wife informed me that a Crossfit Gym was opening on the first floor of her office building. They are giving everyone a free week of training.

I told her I would find it hilarious if she starts crossfit given that she hates sweating. #Asian

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My wife informed me that a Crossfit Gym was opening on the first floor of her office building. They are giving everyone a free week of training.

I told her I would find it hilarious if she starts crossfit given that she hates sweating. #Asian
Crossfit giving a free week is silly, how will they get revenue given that most people are injured and quit by the end of their first week?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So i am busy "working" right now while reading through this:

Why are programmers in the software engineering job interviews tested on skills similar to a Topcoder contest irrespective of the fact that the skills required in the industry are entirely different? - Quora

and I see that a lot of responses mention things like:

"you wont see a binary tree or linked lists often in industry"

and other similar responses. That seems crazy to me especially given the amount of interesting things that was pumped into my brain in my DS/Algo courses.

Was thinking maybe some of you industry guys can shed some light on what structures are used in your work, if any.