IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Find an accredited public university which offers night classes. Fuck online classes.
I would normally agree but I have so much spare time at work it's ridiculous so I should be doing it all online based off that alone.

In an 80 hour pay period I might actually work 6 of those hours.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Capstone projects are pretty standard in most engineering/computer science universities. Mine called it "senior design", but it was a capstone project.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've worked on both good and bad agile teams. I personally like it. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water because some managers bastardize it.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I bought this book:
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship: Robert C. Martin: 9780132350884: Amazon.com: Books

because it's been a couple years since I've read a 'programming' book.

After spending a small amount of time reading it I feel like it'll either have things I already know and agree with, or things in it that I disagree with. Any interest in me posting the things I disagree with in here to elicit some arguments to change my mind?
Absolutely, this and the MMA thread are probably my favorite threads on the forum.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think Agile get's a bad reputation because maybe 5 teams ever have actually implemented it the way it was intended. So all of us have experience with a bunch of half-assed approaches, patches, and workarounds.

Granted, this is mostly still a problem with Agile. Agile's core problem is it's pretty much incompatible with strict corporate hierarchies, which is what most people work in. You'll get the blessing of your PM, or manager, or whoever, but they typically don't understand that adopting Agile fundamentally means cutting them out and giving that power to the team and customer.

This works until basically the team and customer disagree with the manager, and then it all gets thrown out the window, but they still keep calling themselves Agile.
Id like to hear more about this problem.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do you wear a viking helmet to speak? If not, then you should. Maybe that is what your problem is, the lack of viking helmets.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My group doesn't do any agile or scrum, but it's all around us and is closing in on us. The crossfit comment was legit. I'll walk by their obnoxious scrum board and they'll start telling me how great it is.

When we do transition I'll bring in the viking helmet, because I actually have a plastic one.

Vinen

God is dead
My group doesn't do any agile or scrum, but it's all around us and is closing in on us. The crossfit comment was legit. I'll walk by their obnoxious scrum board and they'll start telling me how great it is.

When we do transition I'll bring in the viking helmet, because I actually have a plastic one.
Agile is just a tool for micro-deadlines which = permanent crunch time. It hedges on Developers being terrible about making estimates.

Tenks

Crossfit is gay as fuck and you can do 10x the workout in half the time (and for 10% the cost) than their bullshit routines. And their make believe weights just so they can stack 5x what look like they should be 45lbs is the gayest part.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The problem with crossfit is people jump right in and do really heavy shit really improperly and can fuck themselves up bad. But what's even worse is most crossfitters talk about it nonstop. My facebook feed is full of it, and it's really big at work.. much like scrum/agile.. fuck

Tenks

The best are crossfit pull ups. Which is momentum doing 99% of the actual work and them bragging they can do 40 pull ups. When in reality they can probably do like 5 actual form pull ups. Most of their workouts I've seen generally relies upon manipulating motion to get the rep completed and doing the same bad form over and over again.

Vinen

God is dead
The problem with crossfit is people jump right in and do really heavy shit really improperly and can fuck themselves up bad. But what's even worse is most crossfitters talk about it nonstop. My facebook feed is full of it, and it's really big at work.. much like scrum/agile.. fuck
I am so glad I don't work for EMC. I've never heard Crossfit mentioned once in my 3 years at VMware.