IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
Hah if we do one thing right here it's testing. My boss wants everything tested thoroughly enough that qa isn't finding corner case holes we miss but actual bugs in our product or code.

We had this really awesome arch Linux server hosting our servers (about 30 in total.. It's loud in there), but to accommodate qa we are migrating to a Windows server. Slightly worried about issues with this. Guess we'll see.

Still gotta poop out a resume, kids been keeping me busy.

Another guy just got promoted to senior and he started a year before me. Hate this shit.
These people being promoted. What do they do differently then you.
This is what you need to learn.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
More than other compsci classes discrete math can be hard or easy based on the professsor and how difficult he wanta the problems to be. I had a lot of fun and challenge with the bulllshit hed come up with. I think i enjoyed ghe proofs from that class the most.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Having testing staff write unit tests seems like a great way to add a ton of overhead to the development process.

"Ok I THINK I'm dev complete but since you guys have to write the unit tests go ahead and do that and let me know if anything breaks"

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Have any of you guys heard of testers writing unit tests for the developer? There's a team here that does this and it just feels wrong to me. It's as if the developer is too lazy to write tests so he's getting someone else to do it.
Unless the testers write the unit tests prior to the coder writing the code. In that case it could work. But it still feels very awkward.

Tenks

I'm not really sure since they aren't on my team.

Maybe it's the team I'm on
Sometimes it is. I got out from under my old manager where I always got "on target" and basically a 2-3% raise. My new manager has given me "above target", 5% raise and a promotion. The odd part is everyone's experience with my old manager is similar. No one ever got above target ratings and they always under-used their raise bucket so that money just went to other teams. It makes no sense to me.

Vinen

God is dead
Sometimes it is. I got out from under my old manager where I always got "on target" and basically a 2-3% raise. My new manager has given me "above target", 5% raise and a promotion. The odd part is everyone's experience with my old manager is similar. No one ever got above target ratings and they always under-used their raise bucket so that money just went to other teams. It makes no sense to me.
I'd quit so quickly if all I got was 5% raises in the Software Industry. Especially if I was in the sub 100k/usd range.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hah if we do one thing right here it's testing. My boss wants everything tested thoroughly enough that qa isn't finding corner case holes we miss but actual bugs in our product or code.

We had this really awesome arch Linux server hosting our servers (about 30 in total.. It's loud in there), but to accommodate qa we are migrating to a Windows server. Slightly worried about issues with this. Guess we'll see.
You should test on both platforms. Unless I misunderstood and the server farm is just hosting VMs.

I'd quit so quickly if all I got was 5% raises in the Software Industry. Especially if I was in the sub 100k/usd range.
Gotta job hop to consistently get above that. 5% yty at the same job as pretty good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You should test on both platforms. Unless I misunderstood and the server farm is just hosting VMs.

Gotta job hop to consistently get above that. 5% yty at the same job as pretty good.
Sorry. It's weird language I used.

We call our developed servers SP's (server processors). They're all connected via serial connection to a linux server that the entire team can SSH into and connect to whatever SP they want. They want us to move our linux server -> windows 2008 server. The arch linux setup is extremely powerful and being just CLI it's really fast. I'm a little worried about ease of use, security, and overhead on the Win2008 server.

Vinen

God is dead

Been getting 8-10% a year as a exceptional employee /shrug (last raise was > 14000 grand)
Something I've come to expect now.

Vinen

God is dead
Your situation is the exception
What I'm stating is more people should expect this. The value a single software engineer provides to a company is absurd.

Jump jobs, demand more until you find a place that doesn't treat you like shit (fuck my VMware stock today. Thanks rumors of buying EMC)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
What I'm stating is more people should expect this. The value a single software engineer provides to a company is absurd.

Jump jobs, demand more until you find a place that doesn't treat you like shit (fuck my VMware stock today. Thanks rumors of buying EMC)
Also you've got to realize that the top guys in most shops do 80% of the useful work. If I'm an employer, I would pay my top guys way over market to keep them and jew the fuck out of the filler, or fire them and try to hire more top guys. If you're one of the top guys, the seas part for you, the raises flow freely, you end up making bank; while the filler complains of bad treatment and lackluster raises. I don't know Noodle or his work but the situations can be quite different.

Tenks

how many times do I need to tell this forum I don't really give a fuck about rat racing to min/max my salary?

Tenks

Sure you don't, money bags.
I make a lot of money. Way more than most Americans. Way less than the probably made up salaries of everyone else who posts on rerolled. I'm not going to forsake my personal happiness and the great job I have just so I can hop ship and make 15k more a year. Being happy every day of my life, knowing exactly what is coming down the pipe for me at work, being familiar with work, enjoying the technologies I work with, enjoying my work/life balance is all worth more than a bump just so I can try and impress some people with how much money I have and earn.